Tamron AF 19-35mm F3.5-4.5 A-mount lens review by fenderpilot

compared to:Minolta 28mm f2.8
Minolta 28-85mm f3.5-4.5
Minolta 35-105mm f3.5-4.5
Sony DT 18-70mm f3.5-5.6

Minolta 50mm f1.7 and 70-210mm f4 for color comparison.
positive:Price
The wide angle, especially on my Minolta 7000 but nice on my a350.
Sharpnes
Color
negative:Hood it a bit cumbersome, especially when not in use.
mounting - a little hard due to location of the red dot.
Flare, but only when shooting directly towards the sun.
comment: I bought this lens because I wasn't all that happy with the 18-70mm kit lens that came with the camera. Reading the reviews here I wasn't too sure about it but for $99 on eBay I figured I could sell it and recoup the price. The range works well with the other lenses I own. The sharpness is better than I expected. Shooting matching scenes with this lens and my 35-105mm/28mm/28-85mm, the sharpness is very close. It actually seems sharper than my Minolta 28mm f2.8. This lens outshines the kit lens for both sharpness and color.
As for color, if I stop this lens down -.33 to -.66 EV the color is an exact match with my other Minolta lenses, all original Maxxum lenses. The color this lens produces is actually better than my 28-85mm lens.
I've only had problems with flare on one shoot due to having to shoot almost directly into the sun. In this case, the hood was no help because of the angle, but in all my other outdoor shots I've had no problems.
I almost didn't buy this lens because it was rated at 3.87 overall at the time and only 4.0 for sharpness but I'm glad I did. I would buy it again, especially for the price.