Tamron AF 19-35mm F3.5-4.5 A-mount lens review by dca1213

Beercan
positive:Weight
Wide end
non rotating front element
negative:Soft wide even stopped down.
77mm filters $$$.
comment:After shooting more extensivly with this lens I felt that I should revise my review.

I got this lens on ebay for $75 needing something on the wide end after I basically threw out my kit lens (garbage).

This lens is no better then the kit 18-70mm plastic fantastic POS, it's not even close to the Minolta 35-70, 35-105 or the beercan in terms of IQ. My biggest disappointment with this lens is it's performance in the wide angle range (the wide range is the reason I bought it), at 19mm I need to be stopped down to f8 to get only fair results but overall it remains soft through f16. On the long end (long? 35mm?) it's pretty sharp wide open and much better after f5.6.

Edge sharpness is poor at wide end, even on the subframe A200.

The color and contrast are fairly good overall and for the price I paid it's pretty good performace in those areas.

It's probably a mistake to compare it to the legacy Minolta glass but it is no better then the kit lens in sharpness, color and contrast.

Mine also reports 18mm on exif.

Printing at 8"x10" results are not real good.

As others have noted the hood is a bit tricky to mount in reverse, and the red dot index mark for mounting can be difficult for my 56 year old eyes to find at times.

All in all it's not a horrible lens if you are on a budget and need a wide. I seldom use it, my standard is the 35-70 Minolta f4 which is a sweet piece of glass. I will probably try to sell it and look for something better.

Of course I may have a bad sample of this lens, but I would not recommend this lens for anything more than casual snapshots.