Tamron AF 20-40mm F2.7-3.5 Aspherical IF A-mount lens review by shadowgunner

reviewer#11434 date: Nov-5-2013
compared to:18-70 kit lens, Min O 28-85,Min O 35-70 f4.
price paid:280USD (new)
positive:Colors seem to be very accurate. I have little PP to do when I use this lens. It is quite sharp throughout its' range. It autofocuses very fast on both my A300 and A700. Build quality is superb, I see no problems with this lens. Manual focusing is very smooth on my lens.
negative:It's a little heavy at 515g, but not too bad for walking around. Without the hood you may experience some flare; since the first element is spherical.There is a little bit of distortion when I shoot too close to a building at 20mm.It is correctable in PP.
comment:My lens is the gold ring version (266D). I bought it new in the box at my local camera shop.It has performed admirably in all situations. I needed a lens with a wide end similar to the kit lens, but with better sharpness and color. This lens fits the need perfectly. It has wider aperture at the wide end (f2.7) which helps with some of the indoor shots. The colors are very close to the Minolta colors of my beercan lenses. My kit lens was a little cold and not especially sharp.

update Mar 2017: This lens is really performing even better on my A6000. I use it in conjunction with the LA-AE2.I also found a profile for Lightroom which corrects distortion at it's short end.