Tamron AF 28-105mm F4-5.6 IF A-mount lens reviews

reviewer#44382 date: Oct-9-2019
positive:Sharp,Solid build, No lens creep,Metal bayonet mount.

negative:Lens flare when pointed directly at the sun or towards the direction of the sun.
comment:I bought this lens used on Ebay through one of the Ebay Stores. i purchased this to use on my Nikon D80 at first I found the lens to be hard to get good color rendition, after i learned that the settings on my camera were the reason for the color I made some adjustments and the color has been no problem.One of the things that I don"t like about this lens is the flare when pointed directly at the sun,even with the UV filter and a CPL filter I still found flare.Other wise that is my only real quarrel with this lens. It takes very good and sharp pic's I only wish it was wider and faster F4 just isn't fast enough in low light conditions. As I do Landscape photography sunsets can sometimes require a larger aperture lens,but for the price this has been a very good quality lens, the build is very solid and there is no real problem with lens creep I shot the moon directly on top of me in bulb settings at 90 seconds and the lens did not creep at all.
If your on a budget and need a decent lens with very good sharp and clear photos then Go for this lens !

print stickers | sticker printing | printing services | business printing
reviewer#36813 date: Apr-3-2017
compared to:Minolta AF 28-85 F3.5-4.5
Minolta AF 24-85 F3.5-4.5
Minolta AF 35-70 F3.5-4.5
Sigma 28-80mm F3.5-5.6 Aspherical Macro HF
price paid:used 30
positive:It's very sharp from center to corner in almost every focal length
Build quality is quite good
Color is good
Internal focusing
OK Focus speed (Not very fast but totally acceptable)
Light and compact
negative:Image quality is a bit soft wide open
Some CA in the corner
Some vignetting especially at long end
Small aperture
comment:I have the Promaster rebadged version of this lens. In fact I love the appearance of the Promaster version then the original Tamron version.

In summary, this lens is totally a great gem especially for the price. If you can find one, go for it!

I'm looking for some good lightweight travel lens. Then I bought several lens as in the "Compared to" part. The Minolta made me somewhat disappointed and finally found this one. I'm using this with LA-E4 with Sony A7R II.

It's max aperture is small but it's OK for travel and landscape purpose. The image quality is a surprise to me when considering the price / size / weight. Wide open is a bit soft in most focal length. But make improvement one stop down. Peak aperture quality is around F8-F11. Corner sharpness is very great with this lens too. Much better then the other lens in the "Compared to".

Slight barrel distortion at 28mm and slight pincushion at 105mm but is totally not a big deal.

Slight CA in corner of most focal length. Step down will help, but even shot with F11 some can notice tiny CA when you do pixel peeping. That's easy to take out with Lightroom or Photoshop.

Focus speed is fine with LA-E4, accuracy is generally good too. Noise I think it's in acceptable range.

Anyway, despite it's a bit plastic feel and small aperture. It's indeed a great lightweight lens. You can't go wrong with it.
reviewer#11396 date: Oct-22-2013
compared to:Minolta 28-135mm
Minolta 35-105mm (original)
price paid:$79 used
positive:IQ very similar to the Minolta lenses. Just as sharp as both. Color is slightly cooler but more natural than the Minolta.
MFD much better than either of the comparison lenses.
negative:Consistently under exposes when using flash indoors. This does not happen with other lenses. I have to test further.
comment:Slight softness in corners wide open at 28mm, gone by 35mm or stopped down 2 stops. Slight barrel distortion at 28mm also gone by 35mm. Sharp across frame at all other lengths. Corner softness and distortion would not be issues with a crop sensor.
reviewer#11380 date: Oct-11-2013
Responsive AF
Good contrast
negative:aperture could be wider
zoom creep
comment:I have the promaster rebadged version of this lens.
This lens is an absolute bargain. Compared to my minolta 28-85, this lens is sharper and has better flare control. Despite being mostly plastic, this lens feels solid and the zoom ring is very smooth.
reviewer#10792 date: Dec-20-2012
compared to:Minolta 28-85 3.5-4.5 Macro
Tamron 28-200 XR IF
Sony 18-55 SAM
price paid:89USD
positive:- Sharpness across the whole focal length
- Great colour
- Useful range 28-105mm
- Weight & Built
- Perform quite well on low light condition
negative:- Warmer characteristic
- AF not very fast (but not slow as well)
comment:I've always wanted something that I can go light with useful focal length when I travel outstation and I found this relatively cheap one on eBay.

My copy is actually ProMaster but I get to learn about this lens via pentaxforums.com, this lens is available on several branding but they are all the same especially identical with Tamron. At first I was still a little bit skeptical and wonder how well can this 3rd party brand perform. After observed all the reviews from the net, I tend to give it a try since the price is also not sky high.

All the reviews claimed are correct. This is a very very capable lens. No doubt it is not as fast at the Tamron 28-105 F2.8 but then the sharpness and its end result quality this lens produced are already more than enough. AF is accurate and AF speed is not bad. For the price I paid, I am truly satisfied with this lens :) Disregard it is from Tamron or Promaster, just get it! U won't regret :)
reviewer#9574 date: Nov-11-2011
compared to:Sony 18-55
Light
Smooth zoom
Autofocus
negative:Not much
comment:This is a bit of a dark horse. I found the build of the lens quite good. It very much looks like it's made of metal and the lens mount actually is. My copy is not wobbly and it works and feels like new. Absolutely worth the money I paid for it.
reviewer#8780 date: Mar-12-2011
compared to:Minolta 28-135 f4/4.5, Minolta 18-70 (kit), Sony 18-55 SAM (Kit
price paid:100 euro (used)
positive:Very light, quite sharp, cheap
comment:Nice lens: I use this lens when I travel and I can't take heavy lenses.
reviewer#7364 date: Apr-27-2010
compared to:Sigma 18-125
positive:fast AF
Internal focussing/petal hood
DOF scale
metal mount
negative:feels plasticky
internal barrel doesn't collapse all the way into the lens body
Slow
comment:i bought this lens on fleabay because i couldn't resist the price. I recently picked up a Minolta 7000i film camera for photography class, and realized that my A200 kit only had one lens that'd work on it (a sig. 70-300) because they're all small sensor sized.

So, in my efforts to find a suitable minolta lens (the 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 is what i was/am really after) i stumbled across the humble Tamron variant for only 9.95 USD. after bidding, it only cost me 30 USD, so, for what i paid, it's a steal.

The Review:

the build quality is average. it's an old film lens, so it's probably seen better days, but there's some play in the zoom ring and i don't like how the zoom barrel doesn't collapse all the way down into the lens body. It does have a metal mount, though, and the AF is faster than any other lens i own on my A200. The petal hood is also bigger/deeper than the one included with my Sigma 18-125, so flare should be less of an issue. it's lighter than the 18-125, and doesn't have a zoom lock switch. Just from a cosmetic standpoint, there's no writing around the front element, which i prefer. There's no creep, but there is some wobble in the barrel, but no more than the 18-125; i'd call it acceptable for the price point of these two lenses. (i.e: at or less than $200)

I did a quick test for sharpness by shooting a fabric lamp shade to see how well the Tamron resolved the detail in the stitching and threading. Compared to the Sigma, in the center, it's about the same, a little sharper, but it stays sharper throughout the entire frame, while the Sigma softens noticeably as you move away from the center. (this is at max aperture of f/4 and f/3.5, respectively)

Colors were reproduced accurately and with moderate contrast. I haven't really had a chance to test distortion in detail, but from the few shots i've taken around my house, i haven't seen any. Based on the front element size and the size of teh lens hood, i'd figure flare to be about the same as the Sigma, but there's no sun here in Houston to test it today (bah!).

Overall, for what i paid, i'm happy i got this lens. i wouldn't pay more than 100 or so dollars for it, but it does serve it's purpose and will match up well i think with my 7000i. it's lacking a wide end on my Alpha.
reviewer#4150 date: Sep-29-2008
compared to:18-70mm Sony F3.5-5.6,
28-80mm F4-5.6 Minolta xi
price paid:Ł35 (new)
positive:Does 90% of what I need in one lens
negative:Feels cheap and nasty
comment:End results are similar to the Sony 18-70 kit lens and 28-80 xi but the 28-105 caters for pretty much all my needs. It does feel nasty compared to the xi but it's ultimately more useful.
reviewer#2655 date: Aug-26-2007
price paid:165 usd
positive:quite versatile and works for most occasions. built solid. has metal lens to body plate.
negative:using on dslr, 28mm not wide enough sometimes.
comment:originally bought and used on a minolta HTsi+ and had great results. Then I bought an a100 about a year ago. This lens is my main lens and love it. In all honesty, I'm looking at the Tamron 18-250 lens, but this one will still have a place in my bag as a standby.
reviewer#1948 date: Mar-11-2007
- size
negative:F5.6
not so wide (1.5 crop)
plastic
comment:It is Ok for the price. Very light and compact. Buy it, if you don't have the money for the Minolta 3.5-4-5.
reviewer#511 date: Feb-16-2006
compared to:lots of standard zooms
price paid:bout €50 (with cam)
positive:cheap
comment:Bought a Minolta 505 with this lens because it was so cheap i couldn’t say no. Had them both in the camera bag for years as a back up/ black and white hardly ever used them .