Tamron AF 28-200mm F3.8-5.6 XR Aspherical IF A-mount lens reviews

reviewer#44468 date: Feb-19-2020
compared to:Exakta MC ad 28_200 f3,5_5,6
price paid:25€
positive:Nitidezza,contrasto,distorsioni,leggerezza,ergonomia,riproduzione colore, minima mar,
negative:Nulla per il prezzo pagato
comment:Perfetto compagno di viaggio tuttofare per vacanze senza corredi pesanti.
reviewer#44267 date: Apr-27-2019
compared to:28-70 Sony FE, rx10m3, Beercan
price paid:50 cdn
positive:Pretty sharp in center wide to stopped down with edges improving if stopped down to f8 or beyond.
negative:Vignetting noticeable but can be corrected. Softens slightly after 150mm.
comment:I was looking for a FF lens to mate to my A7M2 along with an la-ea4 adapter. The Laea4 allows me to use FF or crop mode on the A7xx series or on my A6000 as well, The main reason is budget as the 24-240 Fe, although a nice range, is not in my budget currently and I already had the laea4. Took some test shots with the 28-200, 28-70 fe, rx10M3 at similar focal lengths (equivalent) and f stops, at 28, 50 and 70mm. Mainly open and f8 except for the RX10m3 which shot open (2.4) and 8 out of fairness. My thoughts out of the camera, jpg, are that the RX10M3 sensor shows more noise and the images from the A7m2 are cleaner, especially in the sky and in darker areas. These are not corrected. As for sharpness and CA, the Rx10M3 kicks the rest out of the park, even wide open. Stopped down, no contest as the rx10M3 still impresses for edge to edge sharpness. Now for the real reason I took these images: Processing the shots through dxo11 improves the images quite a bit. With basic corrections (DX0 reads the Tamron as either a Tamron or sigma), some of the FE and Tamron images were nearly on par with the Rx10m3 images, except at the edges where miracles can't happen, and the Tamron and FE images were very close with each claiming either a center or an edge depending on the focal lengths and F stop. So, I will keep the 28-200 with my laea4 and correct images prior to printing and hold back on spending on FF FE mount lenses until I can justify the cost or performance.
Just a note: I mainly use my rx10M3 on trips due to the optics and I purchased the FF as I would also like to do more landscape imaging and the FF sensor is better at subtle details than the 1" (in my tests, anyways). The a6000 (or my a77M2) are a good compromise but neither will allow me to have the same optical reach and quality as the RX10M3 without adding heavy lenses at multiple $$$. As for the Beercan tests, just took a few quick ones but weight of that lens just keeps it on the shelf. Still working on getting the bag weight down so something will have to go. For the ratings, These ratings were based on some quick results and the images were processed so not really representative of the final image. I did not do any flare tests.
reviewer#34769 date: Feb-3-2017
compared to:Sigma 28-200 that stripped its gears.
Tokina 28-70 f2.6
Minolta 28 & 35-105
Minolta 70-210, 75-300
others
price paid:cheap
positive:Generally performs well. Compact for range. Handles well, nice zoom ring, focus ring much wider than most Minoltas. Useful range for FF general use in good light.
negative:Focus not very fast, nor is aperture at f3.8-5.6. Slower aperture is the trade off for compact size so that is not all negative. On FF it vignettes a little at 28mm, mostly gone by35mm.
comment:Color is very good, but not vintage Minolta. My copy is decently sharp with the usual caveat about being better stopped down a little. Good close focus. Similar size to Minolta 28-100 and considerably smaller than Minolta 28-105. Heavy enough to feel substantial but not tank like as with 1st gen Minolta. It is a good range on FF from wide to moderate tele, and easy to live with as a walk around.

Just don't mistake it for fast glass. Noise at higher ISOs overwhelms sharpness. IBIS/SSS helps considerably in lower (but not low) light.

On APS-C the aspect runs from 42mm short normal to 300mm tele. As with most FF lenses that is not generally quite as useful as in its original designed application. Edge to edge image quality is higher on APS-C and mild 28mm vignetting disappears.
reviewer#24468 date: Jan-15-2016
compared to:Minolta 70-210 F4 Beercan
Minolta 28-135 F4-4.5 Secret Handshake
Tamron 70-300 F3.5-5.6 SP IF USD

price paid:$50.00 CND
positive:Super sharp 28mm to 135mm
Good simple and easy to use
Very nice contrast
Above average bokeh
Prime like I.Q.
negative:Above 150mm very soft unless you shoot at F16
Hunts under low light but not a real issue with an A77
comment:Wow, what a sleeper. The results are every bit as good as the Secret hand shake which is (was) my favorite lens but was getting weary of lugging around that quirky behemoth so I was looking for an alternative that was lighter and smaller and save the bigger bulkier lens only when I needed it's extra punch, was I ever wrong.

I've tested it at every focal length at every F-stop side by side with the Secret Handshake and every result was as good as or better than. At F3.8-5.6 I wish it was a bit brighter but I rarely shoot at anything less than F11. The thing is that this lens improves all the way to f16 and the corner to corner sharpness is really nice especially at f11 to f16. It was just an ordinary lens till I calibrated it to my camera. The big surprise is that it actually has less C/A than the Handshake at same focal lengths (I'm nit picking, both extremely well controlled) but it does show up a bit at 200mm unless you are shooting above f16 but easy to fix in post processing. One comment I must make, this lens seems to respond extremely well to post processing and seems to produce larger Jpeg files thru my camera than all my other lenses, higher resolutions is my guess. Nearly forgot, the colors are excellent. I have owned a lot of lenses and never has such an "ordinary" lens given me such stellar results.

The verdict? It's on my camera all the time and only comes off if I need a shorter or longer focal length. Highly recommended if you like shooting nature or landscapes shots that look like postcards!!! Highly recommended if you are able to calibrate your camera to it.... best walk around lens I have EVER owned.

reviewer#10322 date: Jun-24-2012
compared to:CZ 24-70, Sony 70-200, Tamron 20-40
price paid:113 (used)
positive:Cheap, light, small long range
comment:I am looking for a travel zoom, I won a like new on eBay for $113 + 10 shipping. I am very happy for the money, it is a steal to me. The center is sharp throughout the whole range. I didn't do any thorough testing, but for close subject and pseudo macro shots, it is sharp in the center at least. Focus speed is decent even it is screw driven. I do portrait for my family 90% of the time, so, corner sharpness is not my main concern, and I don't know how this lens is perform on this aspect. I will bring it for a trip later and I will find out more.
My only complaint is that it seems to have not so good CA control. But still, for $113, it exceed my expectation.
reviewer#10111 date: Apr-11-2012
compared to:Minolta 28-85
Minolta 70-210 f5.5-5.6
positive:Very sharp throughout the range
Colour
Solid build but relatively light
No noticeable distortion
Very good flare control
negative:PF at larger apertures
comment:Undiscovered gem.

IQ superb at all focal lengths and usable wide open.

I chose the compared to lenses as they would be obtainable for a similar combined price to this. This lens is easily as good as the 28-85 and better than the 70-210, all copies of which I have owned need stopping down at least 2 stops for good sharpness.

Only drawbacks are PF (common problem with lenses designed for film) and the bokeh could be better.

Highly recommended - unbeatable value for money and as good as many more expensive lenses covering similar focal lengths.
reviewer#8877 date: Apr-6-2011
positive:Light but sturdy
Fast
Quiet zoom
Lens doesn't rotate
negative:Bit ugly...
comment:Nice all round kit lens, used it to replace my Sigma 24-70 and Minolta 70-210 combo.

The lens is nice and fast, focussing ring is responsive. There's a lock at 28mm which I haven't quite seen the point of yet.

Better colours than the Sigma and on par with the (well reviewed) Minolta. It's on par weight wise with the Minolta so in relative stakes a nice, light lens.

I really love this lens and at 80 quid can't go wrong. I made double that by flogging the previous combo.
reviewer#8403 date: Dec-14-2010
compared to:Sony DT 18-70mm Sony DT 18-200mm
price paid:270 (new)
positive:Price for the build quality
Macro advantage
negative:This was good for Film SlR not DSLR
struggles to focus on low light
Focal length not ideal for APS-C
comment:I had this lens in my cupboard for a decade. Had bought it during university days for my Minolta Dynux 505si. When i acquired a sony A200 i found the kit lens (18-70) poor quality. I replace the kit with the Tamron. For the price this lens is available its a steal over the kit zoom. It sharp and takes good pics during the day. One would need a prime lens for night. The quality of this lens is good and better than some of todays Tamron produced lenses. For me the only issue was the focul distance which got me to pop it off for a Sony 18-200mm.
reviewer#5804 date: Aug-4-2009
compared to:SAL1870
SAL75300
price paid:150.00
positive:+ Surprising quality for the price paid.
+ Quality comparable to both wide and long kit lens. Literally replaced both with this one lens.
+ Build quality is fantastic for the price. Very light and fairly compact.
+ 6 year warranty!? Waaah?
negative:- Not as long or as wide as the lenses it replaces
- My copy was silver,but I'm nitpicking now...
- As expected, not so hot in low light. Bring your prime.
- Not a D lens
comment:Light, solid, and compact - this lens is a steal at the 150 I paid for it. You can probably get it cheaper if you look harder - but if money were no object, I'd go as high as 350 for this lens.

I was quite surprised by how sharp my test shots were. Keep in mind that I am comparing this lens to the kit lenses it replaces. Your opinion on sharpness may vary depending on the kind of glass you use.

Colors come out well, especially when compared to the kit lenses. Not as rich as a 50mm prime 1.8 prime though.

Doesn't perform as great in low light conditions but still passable.

This is an excellent budget travel lens. I plan on selling my kit lenses to pay off this one.
reviewer#5515 date: Jun-10-2009
compared to:-minolta 28-85
-sony DT 18-70
price paid:$98 shipped
positive:-sharper than kit and min 28-85 across the whole range!!
-light weight
-extremely good flare control, especially compared to old minolta lenses
-fairly short focus distance
-solid build quality
-excellent flower hood, and legendary TAMRON cap.
-6 year warranty!!!
negative:-slower aperature than non "super zoom" lenses, but can be easily remedied with increased ISO, or slower shutter+steady hands...but outdoors in the daytime = excellent pics
comment:Excellent lens for such a low price...very good choice for walkaround, yet takes so much better pics than kit, or older minolta zoom lenses. For new users...ditch the kit lens and get your hands on one of these.. i found mine on ebay with a buyitnow price and 6 year warranty, if you have time to bid around, you can score one for $60-100 shipped...
reviewer#5234 date: Apr-13-2009
compared to:Tokina 19-35 3.5-4.5
Minolta 50 1.7
positive:- Great Range
- Seems pretty sharp across the board
-Great build, lens cap is awesome (haha)
-Cheap
negative:-Not much that I noticed, but im no expert
-Tiny bit of distortion wide, but really not bad
comment:I really like this lens. I was looking for something that was inexpensive, that covered a wide range of focal lengths. I shoot a lot at the beach and am always a little wary of needing to change lenses with all the sand, wind, water, etc.

This lens is great. I got great shots throughout the zoom range. Color, sharpness, all seemed fine. Granted, I was shooting outside in bright sunlight, usually stopped down to f6-f9. All in all looked pretty good.

This thing is built great. Its pretty small, even when at 200mm. Zoom is tight, no creep. AF seems good, although a little tough in low contrast situations (especially wide).

I wish it was a little wider, as it is on the 1.5x crop, but still good. I was looking at the sigma as well, but am a little reluctant based on some of the quality control issues i have read about here. (Although I did just order the Sigma 17-70 f/2.8 DC, which ill review soon) Anyways, this is a great, versitile lens. Highly recommended.
reviewer#4985 date: Mar-8-2009
compared to:Min 50 1.7
Sony SAL75300
Snoly SAL1870
Min 33-105
price paid:200 USD (Used)
positive:Very compact
Excellent range of 28-200
which is usually wide and long enough for most needs
Solidly built
Excellent value for its price
Good flare control
negative:hunts when not enough light
comment:Excellent compliment for new sony alpha onwer who looks for inexpensive alternative to kit lens

Good walk around. Work well on my A300

Picture quality is good. You get sharp result when used properly. Good & inexpensive lens to learn digital photography from.
reviewer#4076 date: Sep-9-2008
compared to:Sony 18-70 DT
Tokina 28-70/2.8 ATX
price paid:80€
positive:global range
quality starts to be nice at 5.6 and good at 8
negative:start at 28 mm so 42 mm with APC-S
Focus is slow
comment:I like this lens for what it is. An everyday lens when you wanna go out light

It is not really sharp wide open but shutting a little helps you get good shots

update : i am an new A700 owner and on that camera, this lens is a lot faster ... it become more interesting
reviewer#3447 date: Apr-10-2008
compared to:Sony 18-70,
KM 28-85/3.5-4.5
KM 70-210/4
KM 50/1.7
price paid:$50 USD (new)
positive:Cheap
Versatile
negative:AF hunts in low light.
Quite soft at the wide end.
comment:I got a one of these new in the box for $50. What a bargain!
Build quality is good. Much more solid feeling than the kit lens.
I prefer to use this lens for "walk-around", when situations prohibit me from carrying my full arsenal of lenses.
Images are quite acceptable in the 50-130mm range.
reviewer#2799 date: Sep-29-2007
compared to:Tokina 80-200 PRO f2.8
positive:Good focal range for a very low price; decent walk around lens and very compact.
negative:Flare in bright light; zoom ring has some wiggle; AF hunts (even on an A700!) Moderate distortion on
comment:This is my walkaround lens (until my 17-50 f2.8 shows up!)
reviewer#2748 date: Sep-17-2007
Buid quality
low CA
negative:Warm colors
contrast
comment:Much better than I expected, can give very good results if used properly. Sharp when stopped down 1..2 stops. Sharpness is good from 35-170mm. At 200 mm seems to be softer, but good if stopped down 2 stops. Overall it's better than kit lens. Kit lens has better sharpness at 28mm, from 35mm tamron is noticeably sharper. Contrast is not very high, but anyway very good for superzoom. AF is on slow side, but accurate. On A300 focusing speed is not problem anymore.
reviewer#2731 date: Sep-15-2007
compared to:kit
24-105D
positive:very versatile range
reasonably sharp (better than 18-70 kit)
1:4 close focus
good build quality
IF (front lens doesn't rotate)
negative:AF hunts in low light
Not as sharp as prime
comment:This was my first lens after the kit lens which came with the camera. I've been very happy and made lots of fine pictures with it. Several posted on Dyxum forums so you can see for yourself (incl. sample picture thread). Sharpness is good when stopped down one stop, but quite soft wide open. (better than the kit but a tad below the 24-105D) and build quality is very good and sturdy. Have never seen any reflections and/or flare hence my rating of 5 for that. So don't think the updated Di version has big advantages.

Update: corners quite soft on FF, even when stopped down to f8. APS-C corner performance is OK, even on A700 higher resolution.
reviewer#1874 date: Feb-22-2007
price paid:€ 350, - [new]
positive:Versatile
Cheap
Good quality
negative:F3.8-5.6 isn't very good
comment:Good 'walk around lens' with obvious limitations.
reviewer#1298 date: Oct-10-2006
compared to:Konica Minolta 18/70 3.5 - 5.6
positive:for holidays is good!!
negative:sharpness, noise, low speed AF, defucused
comment:A good lens for Holiday ! not for work
reviewer#1262 date: Oct-4-2006
compared to:min 28-85; min 35-105 RS; min 70-210 f4
positive:Good Range
Decent Build Quality
Close Focusing
negative:Color too warm?
Can be slow in low light
comment:Very versatile lens - great range for my type of shooting. Close focusing is very handy; works well with diopters for 'near-macro' shots. Color tends to be on the warm side - most noticeable in bright sunny conditions where results can be borderline. Image quality doesn't quite match the minolta lenses, but it's pretty close. A little soft as you approach 200.
reviewer#743 date: May-1-2006
compared to:KM 18-70mm kit lense
KM 50mm/1.7
price paid:80€ new
positive:Light weight, decent quality between 28 and 140mm
negative:Poor performance at 200mm, poor autofocus above 150mm
comment:I bought a new copy of this lense on Ebay for 80€, when this lense was replaced by a Di lense, which besides the coating and the chip is identical with the predecessor. It performs quite well between 28 and 140 at least in the center. It has to be stopped down to 5.6 at the wide end. Image quality declines quite a bit toward 200mm. I would have given a sharpnes rating of 4 between 28 and 140mm.
reviewer#599 date: Mar-20-2006
compared to:Tamron 18-200 XR Di II
price paid:€82
positive:nice range, sharpness is OK, distortion result good to reasonable, build quality, autofocus, full frame lens, price
negative:nothing so far !
comment:I first bought a Tamron 18-200 XR Di II as walk around lens, but switched to this one because I could not get used to the 18-200's distortion, frequency of aufocus hunt, slow and noisy autofocus, and poor build quality (incl. plastic mount).
With respect to all of this, the 28-200 is doing a lot better. Autofocus is relatively silent and fast for this type of lens. Distortion is very well controlled and somewhat more pronounced towards the 200 mm. The lens is sharp enough for small poster prints, especially when stopped down a bit.

Considering this lens now leaves shops for a bit over €200, the price/quality ratio is excellent.
reviewer#523 date: Feb-19-2006
compared to:KM 18-70 (kit lens)
positive:It was cheap! Convenient.
negative:Autofocus hunts. Relatively slow lens. Sharpness not comparable to a nice prime.
comment:I got a one of these new in the box on ebay for around $50. I wouldn't pay retail for it, but for $50 its a nice compact way to cover a huge focal range and be ready for just about any shooting situation. I find I very rarely used the wide end on my 18-70 and rarely miss it when this lens is on my camera. It has some real difficulties autofocusing in low light situations. Beyond being occasionally frustrating, it's embarrassing when one is taking pictures alongside someone with a point and shoot and my thousand dollar kit takes ages to focus while they just point and click.

Build quality is quite good. Much better than the kit lens.