Tamron AF 28-300 XRmm F3.5-6.3 LD AD IF A-mount lens reviews

Distance encoder
62 mm filter thread
negative:Variation
Alignment at long end
comment:Nice very clean copy with original hood and front cap. This lens required effort to seat properly in the mount before it was recognized by the camera. It has a strange metal/plastic hybrid mount I've not seen on other lenses. It is a "D" which seems to work correctly although the camera doesn't show units on the focus distance scale. This lens was discontinued in 2004 and replaced by the similar Di version. "MADE IN JAPAN"

This lens has much better image quality than the older, heavier 28-200mm LD. This copy has some alignment problem that got worse towards the long end. I expect a better copy would be a very decent lens.
reviewer#26564 date: Apr-25-2016
compared to:Any Minolta Beercan 70~210mm F:4, just as Good!
price paid:40.00
positive:Exceptional sharpness when use on the LA-EA4 on Sony A7r camera. I believe that the SLT adapter compensates in sharpness because its a hybrid Passive & Contrast device. On my KM 7D I also had very excellent sharpness and rich colors. I suspect most all of the reviews I read were on earlier 2000's film cameras and DO NOT pertain to the latest in DSLM mirrorless cameras. The lens just needs to be used on a modern Sony digital camera. Its a sleeper at the cheap prices on eBay..... get it before anyone else finds out? On a A99 it should be great?
negative:None I can see with my eyes on my computer screen at 14.4x blow-ups........
comment:Greatest travel lens for travel photography, when you want one body, one lens,,,,
reviewer#9213 date: Jul-7-2011
compared to:old tamron 28-300 ld af
positive:Cant think of much very dissapointed in it had the older one it was ace ,this is poor
negative:everything its rubbish .
comment:I had the older Tamron 28-300mm ld and i loved it was superbly sharp at 200mm and ,very good to 200 and shocking after 200mm but i loved it , then my sony a55 killed its gears ,so it was replced with its ,newer xr brother ,and boy i hate it so much ,to the point its sat on my desk unused i cant find a sweet spot on it at any f stop its just poor all over ,my 26v year old minolta 75-300mm beats it hands down .Its for sale on amazon if you want it .
reviewer#6004 date: Sep-7-2009

Build & feel quite good
Easy to focus manualy
good range on aps, great on 35mm
Is a decent portrait lens especialy @ f8
negative:not sharp when fully zoomed on distant objects, improves when stopped down
comment:I baught this lens when the beercan fell apart, I might be the only person this has happened to, It is not quite as sharp as the beercan & does not match the constant apeture (only goes to 3.5 below 35mm) but it is good enough particularly below 200mm and above f8/11. It does however whoop the beercan in af speed and the filter doesn't rotate when focusing which is a big deal for me because I rarely go without a polariser especialy on digital.

I dont notice any vingeting on film or digital and what I concider tastefull distortion @ 28mm on film

Much better all round than the cheap canon

After using this lens I will concider tamron lenses more often as i expand my lens collection.
reviewer#2922 date: Nov-9-2007
compared to:18-70 kit
Minolta 50 1.7
Minolta 70-210 f4
Tamron 17-50 2.8
positive:-size and weight
-range
-sharpness, color, and contrast in good light
negative:-sharpness, color, and contrast in poor light
-AF speed
-softness at long end
comment:I bought this lens along with a Maxxum 5. The purpose was to a have a small, light, wide-ranging slr/lens combination for backpacking trips. The lens was very good in this application. After going digital with the a100 and learning to pixel-peep, I became less satisfied with the lens. But as time went on, and I learned to work with its strengths rather than its weaknesses, I got along with it pretty well. You can achieve very good shots in good light - keep it stopped down at least 2 stops from wide open, and you'll get pleasing results. Try to keep from going past 250mm at the long end, because it gets very soft. I got better results by shooting at 200mm and cropping in pp than by racking it out to 300. Although interestingly, you can get nice outdoor portraits at 300; the center is mildly soft, and the edges are downright blurred - it's a pleasing effect not unlike a narrow depth of field. You just have to shoot from half a block away!

With the A100, I used it for awhile in my tourist setup. It stayed on the camera in the holster bag. To handle the wide stuff, I kept the kit lens in a little hard case attached to the outside of the holster.

After 5 years of heavy use, the lens could have passed for brand new -zoom and focus rings felt great, it looked great, and there was no wobble in the barrel.

The 3.5 rating is sharpness is a compromise - in the right conditions, this lens is a 4.5, in the wrong conditions, it's a 3.

Update: Sold it to pay for a tripod. Walk around combo is now Tamron 17-50 and a beercan. Sharper in every situation. Much better wide end, much better speed. Cropped 200mm beercan shots are sharper than uncropped 300mm superzoom shots, so I don't miss the long end either. Just need a new walk around bag now.
reviewer#1864 date: Feb-20-2007
compared to:Sony - AF DT 18-70 F3.5-5.6
Minolta - AF 75-300 F4.5-5.6 New
positive:Great Build quality
Zoom locking button (prevents zoom creep)
Light weight
negative:Slow AF
AF will hunt in lower light
"Short throw" focus makes MF harder
comment:I recently received this lens for my birthday, and have been pleasantly surprised by it. I would like to break down this review into a few sections (my opinions on the different aspects of the lens): Build, AF, MF, Image overall.

Build:
This lens is just great to hold and look at (for what its worth). It feels very sturdy, and zooms very smoothly. The focus ring also feels nice, but as stated in the negatives, is a bit short - more on that later. Also worth noting - since the focus is internal, the external barrel does not rotate, making it easy to use polarizers and the like. The lens hood also accommodates this feature, by having a better flower shaped hood.

Auto Focus:
If you take this lens outside in good light, you should have no problem getting a good focus. The first complaint, is that the AF is a bit on the slower side; this however, can be worked with if you can set up the picture a bit in advance. In lower light situations, the lens has a tendency to hunt (especially in the longer tele ranges). I will admit to losing a few bird shots due to the AF hunting through the whole range.

Manual Focus:
As stated before, this lens's focus ring is a bit of a "short throw" -it can be easy to move up a decent amount in focus distance with just a short turn. However, with a bit of practice, you can get used to it, as the focus does have a smooth feel to it, and you can learn to control it better.

Image:
This is where i am the happiest. Focus complaints aside, this lens can really take some great photos. I have had good sharpness at both the wider end and the tele end, with good colors all around. Yes, this lens is not as sharp as dedicated tele lenses (such as a 75-300); but i feel that the trade-off for having such a wide range is worth it. This is a lens that you can take with you as your only lens, and wind up getting 90% of the shots that you would otherwise get with a set of wide and tele lens's Also worth noting, was that lens flare seemed very well controlled, and no barrel distortion was visible.
reviewer#1611 date: Jan-3-2007
compared to:Sony 100/2.8
positive:very compact, easy to carry around, nice range, acceptable quality (perfect in the center at f/8).
negative:Too sensitive manual focus ring.

Aberrations at any focal length.

Not very sharp at corners of a 1.5x crop - compared to macro prime.

comment:Very compact universal travel zoom. Acceptable sharpness at f/8.

I am still surprised with the quality of such a long-range zoom. In the center of the image it produced similar results to 100/2.8 macro on A700 body (same focal length, same aperture f/8).

But at the corners "microcontrast" is noticably lower than one of the macro lens.

When using flash A700 body tends to overexposure.

reviewer#1268 date: Oct-5-2006
compared to:Beercan
Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
positive:Great range, good daytime walk around lens, CA not an issue, price.
negative:Bokeh not that great, slow on the long end, plasticky.
comment:If I have to take only one lens on a daytime outing it's a fight between this one and the kit 18-70, the Tamron usually wins. I may end up buying an 18-200 or the new 18-250 (assuming it will be made in the alpha mount) although if I get the 18-200 I may miss the long end. If the 18-250 is not too expensive I will definitely get one and ditch the kit lens.
reviewer#975 date: Jul-3-2006
compared to:Minolta 18-70 kit lens
Minolta 100-200 f/4.5
Minolta 50 f/1.7
Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro
Tokina 17mm f/3.5 ATX Pro
positive:Compact with huge range, moderate to good image quality, I got a good price
negative:Very poor AF, soft in some conditions
comment:Much better performance than I expected for a super zoom lens. Non-di version, and I have expirienced some washout with bright light just outside the frame but not too common. Sharp and good contrast, but the corners can suffer badly wide open at some focal lengths. Usable pictures from all focal lengths at any aperture, though 200-300mm seem to be soft often. I think this is an autofocus issue, it seems to be very inacurate at these lengths (this is focus, not camera shake) but sometimes results are great. Autofocus is impossible in dim conditions, manual focus is not easy due to short throw, dim view, and small aperture giving large dof. Fun to play with the compressive effects of long focal lengths without spending a fortune on a dedicated long lens. Used in good light with patience this lens can give outstanding results and good bokeh, its range and small size are very convienent, just leave it behind for the demanding situations. This lens has replaced my kit lens, and is my primary zoom (otherwise I'm mostly using primes).
reviewer#952 date: Jun-28-2006
compared to:KM 28-75mm 2.8 D
price paid:134.00 USD NEW
positive:Great Range... Great value, since it is an older model and priced at about half of its replacement.
negative:A little soft if opened up past 4.5.
comment:A great walk around lens. A little soft if opened up past 4.5, so I never run it full auto. Use it manual or aperature priority and it should give you great results. This is a much better buy than the replacement DI model since you can get it new for about 140 dollars US.

The biggest dilema for me is deciding when to use it or the 28-75 2.8 D Maxxum, which is a superb lens but not very long. I usually go with the 28-75 indoors and use the 28-300 outdoors since outdoors the performance difference is close enough that having the reach of the Tamron makes it a clear favorite. Likewise, the Maxxum lens is a clear choice indoors where its low light capabilities shine through.

Of course it is not as sharp as the 70-210 F4. I prefer it to the 70-210 though, because of it's additional range, and much lighter weight and smaller size when it is not extended.

Hard to beat the value of this lens if you can get the non-DI model though it seems to be rising in price as the supplies dwindle. I picked it up new on EBay for less than 140 but not it is going for about 200 dollars.
reviewer#738 date: May-1-2006
compared to:KM 18-200
KM 70-210 F4
positive:Nice all around lens
Very compact
Nice build quality
negative:not the sharpest, but you can't expect it to be at this price, covering this much zoom
comment:A nice walk around lens, also great for travel. Very compact, and picture quality is decent.

AF is pretty good, although it hunts in low light and at long distances (not an issue outdoors, or in decent light).

Seemed about the same to me in terms of sharpness as the 18-200 (KM), but not as sharp as the 70-210. I preferred it to the 70-210 though, because of it's additional range, and much smaller size.

Hard to beat the value of this lens.