Tamron AF 35-135mm F3.5-4.5 AF tele-macro A-mount lens reviews

reviewer#41979 date: Jan-3-2018
compared to:- Minolta AF 17-35mm F/2.8-4 (D) Aspherical
- Tamron SP 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di USD A005 for Sony
- Minolta AF Maxxum 28-105mm f3.5-4.5 (Zoom XI)
- Minolta AF Maxxum 35-105mm f3.5-4.5
- Minolta AF Maxxum 35-70mm f/4 (Macro Switch)
- Minolta AF Maxxum 35-105 f.3.5/4.5 (Macro Switch)
- Minolta AF Maxxum 70-210 f/4 (Beer Can)
- Sony DT 11-18 F4.5-5.6 #SAL1118
- Fast AF
negative:- Rare & Pricey
- Heavier
- Slight Light Fall Off
- Minor Fringing (Correctable When Noticed)
comment:I have more than one copy, both performed equally well on an A77 and A850. I can't really complain, I've paid more for lenses that didn't perform as well over the zoom range. Don't let "Macro" in the name confuse you. This is an excellent walk around town lense. I've also used it on some portraits lately and was surprised by the bokeh and colors.

You truly can pull off some really good looking photos with this lens even with newer cameras. *IF* You can find one it's worth adding to your collection.

It's a keeper IMO.
MFD ( adjusted to 85cm )
55mm filter size
not too heavy
negative:flare control
comment:I was curious about this lens, for the most part because of the below reviews.

I'm still discovering what it allows me to do, but it hasn't dissapointed so far. Compared with min 35-105, I found sharpness very comparible, colours as well. However, Bokeh for the same focal lengths isn't as nice and creamy as with the minolta. The bokeh does tend to swirl a little ( on FF ). IQ wise, the minolta has the edge for me, in its way to create 3D like images ( i know how fuzzy that sounds ). Bear in mind, it still is very good & it does offer the extra 100-135 range, which the minolta doesn't, and where the bokeh is really nice.

even if I gave a 5 for build, as it is really a nice example of top engineering, mine came with a slightly sticky aperature and a lot of dust. I was lucky to find someone that could repair it properly, clean it and adjust MFD to a nice 85cm. The maintenance raised the total price somewhat, but even at that price it was still worth it.

mine didn't come with any hood, but the hood from the sony 35DT 1.8 fits it, so at least on APS-C it gets shaded nicely.

update 17-08-2015 : took this lens on holiday..

reduced the flare control. On FF the hood is not very useful. If the sun hits the lens, some blue flares/ghosting appears very easily when the sun is in the picture. Probably very acceptable flare control for the lens at it's time, just not as good compared to more recent lenses.

reviewer#11357 date: Sep-29-2013
Fast
Good macro
negative:Short range only 35mm
MFD - 1500mm
comment:Real great lens.
reviewer#11045 date: Apr-16-2013
Tamron SP AF 70-200/2.8
Minolta AF 70-210/4
positive:Very sharp !
Build quality, smooth zooming
Good color, but warmer than minolta
Usefull range and macro capabilities
55mm filter thread
Minolta mount exclusivity
Still unknown resulting low price
negative:Light fall-off and color fringing
aditional light fall-off with filter
Filter rotate when focusing
Focus ring
Not many, dicontinued, rare, hard to find !
comment:What to say ...I'm curious by default, so when I had an opportunity to buy this lens, I grabbed it without hesitating a minute. Subsequently, I bought the original hood so that everything is complete.

When the lens is arrived, the first disappointment was the piteous aspect ... the zoom ring was deformed and swollen and impossible to fix, front lens was dirty. Nothing serious, I cleaned it and started the test with a850. To my surprise, I've never been able to make the good shots. Either it was soft in all apertures, or huge light fall-off, or overexposed by lowering the f-stop. Finally, there was a problem with the iris and with back focus, but the blades were clean. I contacted the seller and he offered me a partial refund, which I accepted, because I was eager to open the beast !

Thereafter I took my tools and I completely disassembled the lens ... with the blades of the iris. After cleaning and reassembling of all components, I corrected the problem of plate of iris linkage. Finally, I took the cares of the zoom ring, I cleaned and renovated with silicone spray. Now, the lens looks like new!

The moment of truth has arrived and the test begins. I made the micro-adjustment at -5 to obtain a good compromise in all focal lengths. After, I took a series of photographs on the target. By comparing this test with other tests of my lenses, I did not believe my eyes! In terms of sharpenes, this lens compares easily with the Minolta AF 50mm f/2.8 macro! At f/8 to 11, except in the corners, it beat the macro!

Of course, nothing is perfect and this lens also has some flaws with full frame sensor, such as distortions, strong light fall-off w/o, which only disappears at f/11, color fringing, MFD too long, but in general, these are minor flaws that can be corrected easily in post-processing, or by adapting the shooting. As I said, in terms of sharpnes, this lens is hard to beat even by the best! Closing at f/8 and above, you get exceptional sharpnes in all focal lengths from center to edge. The corners need one or two additional stops to become perfect ... but honestly, who needs the perfect corners in all shots?

In short, I am very impressed by the potential of this lens. I think it will become my favorite walk around lens.

Edit: After occasional use, I must point out that it is not a perfect lens with a constant performance. I lowered the rating for color and distortion, but in general, despite its flaws, it is a good lens, which is able to make nice surprises.

reviewer#11033 date: Apr-12-2013
compared to:Minolta AF Macro 100 f2.8
Sony AF 70-200
Minolta AF 28-135
Minolta AF 50 f1.4
price paid:100 USD + 160 repair
positive:Old but very high quality build. Heavier but built the way only premium quality lenses are built today.
negative:Distortion throughout zoom.
Note: With Lightroom 4+ the distortion is almost perfectly corrected using the Lens Correction/Profile/Tamrom/Tamron 28-200 3.8-5.6 Di A031S profile.
comment:Updated comments: I spent a chunk of money and had a local repair shop clean and adjust it. I also micro adjusted it on the A99 and A77 with LensAlign Pro. Oh my - what a difference. It is easily 95%+ of the lenses above including 100MM Minolta Macro. No more fringing, sharp, quick.
As others have said if you can get one buy it - be prepared to spend some money to get it back in shape but very well worth it. Flare is not much of a problem if you use a 55mm lens hood.

Original comments :I must have picked up a very poor unit. My first thoughts were that it didn't play nice with my A77 and A99. I tried my old A700 and it performed no better.
Darker in viewfinder. As compared to what appeared in the evf or LCD while composing in the SLT bodies the result was always 1 1/2 plus stops over exposed. The same with the A700.
Even in the best light and non contrasting situations there was purple fringing. In high contrast images it was severe and in soft light the fringing was still apparent. While fringing can be removed in Lightroom this is still a distinct negative.
I was also very disappointed with how soft the images were at all f stops.
I micro adjusted the lens with lens align pro for the A99 and A77 bodies and that helped slightly.
This unit will get dumped in the junk drawer.
reviewer#11024 date: Apr-9-2013
compared to:Minolta AF 100-200 /4.5
Minolta AF 35-70 /4
Sony SAM DT 18-55/3.5-5.6
Helios 44-2 58/2
positive:Sharp, nice colors, minimal CA, fast AF, price.
negative:Very hard to find
Filter ring rotates
MDF - 1500 mm
comment:Great lens!
reviewer#10967 date: Mar-10-2013
Fast
Solid Build
negative:Hard to Find

Nothing Else
comment:Great Find!!! No distortion throughout the entire range 35-135. Smooth focus. Great reach. High quality solid build, glass and steel. No lens creep. Sharp, sharp, sharp. Great balance and feel on a Sony A65 body. 55mm, so you can use all your standard filters. Amazing walk around lens. My favorite lens.

Don't pass it up, if you can find one.
reviewer#10811 date: Dec-31-2012
500mm f8 Reflex
Sony Zeiss 16-80mm f3,5-4,5
price paid:290 euros
positive:- Excellent saturated colours
- Unquestionably sharp at all apertures.
- Great colour rendition
- Feels well constructed
- Great for lowlight
- D(c)reamy tones & bokeh
- Rich colour
- Razor sharp depth of field
- fast aperture
- Extremely solid build
- Smooth focusing ring
- macro function on the long end
negative:almost impossible to find
Mdf ? at minolta.repair@outlook.be they can adjust the MDF to 90 Cm. and AF in macro !
comment:I'll never regret buying this lens.
I love the colours of this lens, maybe even better than the Zeiss. I think every time again: how can such a small lens doing it so well on a crop camera or FF compared to the Zeiss lens!
I absolutely love this lens.
The contrast is perfect for all kind off shots.
Distortion is well controlled.
I have fell love with this lens, but I have come to realise that it is simply awesome.
Its really a hidden diamond here .
Extremely sharp at all apertures.
Colour rendition is excellent, clean, warm,... .
The combination of this lens being quit small and being razor sharp makes it quite unique and very attractive.
Practical focal length for both FF and APS-C sensors
No noticeable distortion
Nice weight on a700 body
A magnificent piece of glass!
While reading other members reviews I found it hard to believe.
We all share the feeling and opinion that this is a GREAT lens, a hidden diamond .

If you can find one -> get it, don't turn it down.

I will never, never sell this lens !

reviewer#10470 date: Aug-24-2012
compared to:Minolta AF 50mm 1.7, Minolta Rokkor 50mm 1.7, Sony 18-55 kit lens, Promaster MC 28mm 2.8, Tokina SF AF 70-210 4-5.6, Tokina AF 28-70 F2.8-4.5
positive:Sharp!
Colors!
Solid build
Has Macro
negative:Heavy
MFD is not great for a packed house party but could live with it
comment:Best lens I've ever used. Super sharp and produces nice colors. My new walkaround lens. I like the range and has a macro function! MFD is alright indoors if you have enough space but if I'm going to a packed house party, I just bring my Promaster MC 28mm 2.8.

Used w/ a Sony SLT-A35.
reviewer#10444 date: Aug-10-2012
compared to:Any lens. This may be one of the best lenses ever designed and built
positive:Real diamond hiding here, best lens
I've ever owned....not for sale, will take on any and all shoots
negative:hard to find, they've been grabbed and owners will not sell cheap
comment:Sharp through range, color is hard to beat, light, well built

This is a rare beast, if you can get one for less than $ 500
go for it, test of course.
reviewer#10265 date: Jun-5-2012
compared to:Minolta 28-85 f/3.5-4.5
Minolta AF 28-135 F4-4.5
Minolta 70-210 f/4 Beercan
price paid:35USD (used)
positive:Hand built and solid.
color (could pass for a Minolta)
great 135 macro
negative:Heavy. but it is all glass and steel.
stop down 1/2 stop and it becomes
tack sharp.
comment:This is a tank of a lens and awesome walkaround.
It has seen a long service life with me and it is always a trusty shooter.
Dropped, dirty, wet..... still clean, fast and sharp.
reviewer#10260 date: Jun-4-2012
compared to:Minolta 35-105 f3.5-4.5 original
price paid:19 GBP used
positive:Very sharp across the range.
Good colour and contrast
Build - all metal
no noticeable distortion
55mm filters
negative:MFD - 1.5m
Heavy
Appears to be very rare.
comment:Purchased from ebay for next to nothing - a steal.

Very similar IQ to Minolta 35-105 - enough said.

I often use it in lieu of the 35-105 due to its extra reach - a fair difference on APSC.

Highly recommended if you can find one!!