Tamron AF 70-210mm F2.8 SP LD A-mount lens reviews

reviewer#11861 date: Jun-9-2014
compared to:Beer Can, this Tamron is much better from my experience. On par with Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 Non OS or HSM.
price paid:$400.00
positive:Does exactly what I need it too for a MUCH lower price. Sharp and Fast...Love the feel of it, Exceptional build quality. Love the limiter switch as well...
negative:I have zero issues with this lens..None
comment:If you need a quality lens for a fraction of the price of comparible lenses today, BUY this one!! If the weight bothers you, look elsewhere. I love the feel of it on my A77 and A99. Can't go wrong with this lens. Nah sayers out there, get a grip and learn to use this quality piece of glass
reviewer#10368 date: Jul-9-2012
compared to:Tamron 70-200/2.8
Beercane
positive:-Cheap
-F 2.8
-Sharp
-Focus limit control
negative:-MFD
-Focusing speed a bit slow
comment:Compared with Tamron 70-200/2.8, sharpness is on par. Sharpness on F2.8 is usable from 70-150mm. However, soft after 150mm to 210mm. By step down to F4, sharpness for 150~210mm is back to track.
Focus limit control is help much on the focusing speed, which is slightly better if compare with beercane.
At f2.8, Corner sharpness is surprising sharp.

Overall, is a very good budget lens ..highly recommended.
reviewer#10185 date: May-8-2012
fast accurate focus
built like a tank
value
negative:rotating front element
comment:this lens mated with my maxxum 7, a700 or a850 is a dream come true. indoors outdoors low light bright light no problem. relatively sharp at 2.8 outdoors with the sun in the sky, drop it down to f4 and your laughing for everything else. very fast accurate focus. fantastic colour. you wont see this one very often if you do grab it you can't go wrong. this is my first high speed tele so I am limited to comparisons.
reviewer#9712 date: Dec-23-2011
price paid:330 USD (new
positive:Strong build lense.
negative:Maybe a little slower than new models. But with todays price that's not a argument.
comment:I'm using this lense for over 11 years now. Started on an Minolta 700si body, and today using it on de sony alpha 700. Loving it from the beginning. It works well on the Sony 700 (better than the Konica Minolta 5D). Good construction. 11 years back i payed in the Netherlands 800 gulden (today something like 360 euro/330 USD. It's still worth every penny of it. Took it over the world. Used on mountains, in the snow, in the sun, rainy climats, etc. Never any problem. Maybe a little heavy and slower than new models. But not so much that's it becomes a problem. Personally i find the construction better than the Sigma-models. With that in mind, you can't get a better lense for this kind of money.
reviewer#9677 date: Dec-6-2011
compared to:50/1.7
85/1.4
100/2.8 macro
135/2.8
28-135/4-4.5
positive:Fast and inexpensive while maintaining pretty decent quality.
negative:Big and heavy, sometimes wish it would focus closer.
comment:My copy has a mild de-centering problem, so if I pixel peep, I find that the right edges of pictures are somewhat sharper than the left. Based on the variety of reviews and results I've seen, it looks to me like quality control wasn't quite as tight as Minolta's was, so if you consider buying one of these, it's probably more important than usual to test it first.

This has (by far) the strongest spring on the aperture of any lens I own. Though the blades have never gotten oily, it feels like if it did, it would probably still be "snappy", even with 10W30 motor oil on them. If you accidentally put a Minolta lens cap on the back, it'll often undo the bayonet, so the cap isn't locked on, and will fall off if you even brush against it. The original lens cap locks on much more tightly though.

This is a big, heavy pig of a lens. Yes, all 70-200 and 80-200 f/2.8 lenses are big and heavy, but this is definitely heavier than any other I've handled.

In the end, I can't really find room for real complaints though. I've used this a lot for over 20 years, and it's never let me down yet.
reviewer#9325 date: Aug-12-2011
compared to:Tokina 60-300mm F4-5.6
Sigma 18-200mm DG
price paid:€200 (good condition)
reasonably fast focus
Price/quality
Build quality
negative:A bit heavy
some CA
comment:I was waiting for a bargain in the 70-200mm F2.8 range, since I'm not able to spend a lot of €€. I don't know if €200 is cheap or not, but I found it a price worth trying.

Build like a tank!

At F2.8 the lens is reasonable sharp, as sharp as my other lenses at +F4. At F4 and beyond it is really sharp, what you'd expect from such a lens. I cannot compare it with other F2.8s, but i found the contrast and detail of e.g. a brick wall, pinpoint sharp. A weak point might be CA, which is noticeable at the larger apertures.

At first I thought I had a focus problem, each time it suffered from front focus. Which was enough to get the subject completely out of focus in the shallow F2.8 DOF. Somehow, when you get familiar with this lens, you can get the AF right each time.
AF is reasonably fast, as fast as all my other lenses. Funny though, the high inertia of the rotating front element, makes your camera twist longitudinally.
reviewer#9033 date: May-15-2011
compared to:Minolta 70-210mm f/4 "Beercan"
positive:Sharp at f/2.8
Focus Limiter
Low Price
negative:Bokeh can be rough
Chromatic Aberration
comment:Bought it off KEH.com for $390 or so (including shipping). Instantly impressed with the lens. There's PF and other CA aplenty, but it's extremely sharp, even at f/2.8. It also has a focus limiter. It's the only real option under $1.5k or so with a focus limiter... I can't complain about that now can I? I haven't had any troubles focusing with it on my A55 whatsoever, and it seems to be great. I'm going to be using it with a 2x TC soon, so I'll test to see how well that goes.
reviewer#7549 date: Jun-10-2010
compared to:had a sigma 70-210mm had a tokona 80-200 ATX. This one is way sharper than the two also have a tokina 100-300 F4 that lens is super also
price paid:460.00 used ebay
positive:I had a 80-200 adaptall and traded to this, was worried about slow focus but its way fast no problem + focus lock and a nice smooth finish.
negative:A bit heavy ,but all 2.8 zooms are !!
comment:Great lens hard to come by, but worth what i paid its a keeper
reviewer#6588 date: Dec-16-2009
compared to:Beercan
positive:F2.8 over entire range
Built like a tank
negative:Heavy but that is to be expected.
Manual focus ring cover just moves on it's own.
Non-removable tripod mount, but then again I would never use this lens handheld.
comment:I got this as part of a lot so the cost is really what it cost me after selling the remainder of the lot and keeping this lens.

This is a wonderful lens, very heavy but it should be given the all metal construction and the size of the elements.

This lens is quite sharp wide open and very sharp when stopped down a bit. Auto focus is fast and accurate. Colors and contrast are great and Bokeh is wonderful. All and all it's a great fast telezoom that I would rate above the Beercan in IQ. I have not yet seen CA in abundance like I have experienced with the Beercan and I believe that at f4 it is sharper then the Beercan.

I did not get the lens with the original hood but purchased a rubber hood that works well. Highly recommended but only for use with a tripod or monopod. Great lens for sports and wildlife photography.
reviewer#6566 date: Dec-11-2009
compared to:minolta 70-210mm F4 (sold and replaced by the Tamron)
sony 70-300G
positive:F2.8
Produces natural color
Tripod collar
AF limiter
Very well balanced
negative:Slight CA at the long end (see comment)
Heavy
Battles to fit in my camera bag
comment:The lens was bought to be used in low light conditions taking pictures of indoor sport and to be used with a 1.7X teleconverter. The lens is sharp at F2.8 and on the converter it is sharp at F4. I must say that I like the tripod collar and use it extensively. I believe that the lens is sharper than the Sony at F2.8 but it doesn't produce the saturated Minolta colors. However, the colors that it does produce are the colors that you see on the subject so they are very natural. The lens suffers from slight CA at the long end but only when shooting bright-white, harshly lit subjects. Other than that I have not noticed any CA.
reviewer#6414 date: Nov-19-2009
compared to:Minolta 70-200mm SSM G, Zeiss 135mm f1.8, Tokina 100-300mm f4 & the Beercan
positive:Excellent color, contrast and sharpness comparable to the Minolta SSM G
negative:Heavey for some and too old for other but just perfect for me.
comment:After having this lens serviced locally I have found it to be more than I expected. I borrowed a friends Minolta SSM G and compared the two side by side and found the Tamron to be sharper wide open than SSM G and little to no distinction in color or contrast. I felt that at worst they were equally fast focusing in good light but the Tamron locked on quicker in low light. The colors from the Tamron are like the marriage between the Beercan and the SSM G with the Tammy being their offspring.

I was given the option of getting the Sony 70-200mm f2.8 SSM G for Christmas this year and chose the Zeiss 16-35mm f2.8 instead. Yes, that is how satisfied I am with this lens. Just search on it in FLICKR and you will see "d way lite" up on this lens.
reviewer#2834 date: Oct-8-2007
compared to:Beercan and Minolta 70-200 2.8
positive:Lens is built like a tank, has good flare and distortion control, and a 2.8
negative:Only negative I have found is the hood does not come on and off smoothly
comment:Originally I owned a Minolta 70-200 2.8 which I loved. But that love ended when my wifes nephew was playing with my camera gear when I wasn't home and dropped it on the ground with bad consequences. I am a part time wedding photographer and shoot about 12 weddings a year. I was truly in need of a mid to long range zoom with a fast appature. After calling every camera shop in the state I found the Tamron 70-210 2.8. I was quite surprised to have found this one for I haven't seen one in a couple years. After examining the lense and taking some test shots I decided to purchase it for $960 new. So far, the lense has proven quite worthy far surpassing the beercan and competing with the minolta 70-200 2.8 in many areas. Sharpness is great even at 2.8 up to about 180mm. Sharpness falls off only just slightly above 180 but still very usable. At any other apature the lense is great throughout its zoom range. Color is good as are distortion and flare control. All in all a very solid lens. The only advantage I found with the Minolta 70-200 2.8 is sharpness over 180mm at 2.8. Bokeh is great on both lenses as well. I might just have to keep this lens especially with used prices just off the wall for the minolta 2.8's
reviewer#2471 date: Jun-24-2007
compared to:Minolta 70-210 F4
price paid:570 USD (New)
positive:Cheap
Solid build
As sharp as my beercan
Focus limiter
negative:Non-removable collar
Heavy (Which 70-200 f2.8 isn't?)
comment:This lens is a steal for a fast telephoto lens. It is prone to a bit of CA just like the beercan which affected sharpness when I tested it with my custom 'chart' (Shoe box). But the CA is a lesser problem in actual shooting because I only shoot 3-D objects

I was about to give it a 4.5 for sharpness because it can be a tad soft wide open but considering the price I paid for a brand new copy it deserves a 5. This lens is just as sharp, if not sharper than the beercan and I like the result best at about f5.6 / f8.0 but I would not hesitate to use f2.8 indoors.

I may have owned this lens for about 3 months but I printed more 8x12 with it than the beercan in 8 months because I liked the pictures much more.

See http://simpleus.blogspot.com/search/label/Lens%20-%20Tamron%2070-210mm%20f2.8
for some sample images. Click on the images and exif can be found in flickr.
reviewer#2462 date: Jun-21-2007
compared to:Minolta 80-200/2.8 Apo
Minolta 200 G
positive:Tough
Mostly sharp
Cheap
Smaller than most of this type
Focus limiter
negative:Front focuses slightly
Slightly soft wide open (possibly due to above)
Non-removable tripod collar
comment:For the price this is a pretty good lens, although a little soft wide open it's not serious - a tendency of mine to front focus slightly makes it worse. However once stopped down, it is very sharp and resolves good detail, focus issues are eliminated by DOF. I can always use MF if critical, helped by the brightness of a constant f2.8 max aperture.
Mostly metal construction (apart from plastic hood) lends it a solid feel.

The manual focus ring is well placed, made of smooth but grippy rubber and is just wide enough but quite recessed. Also the retractable cover is quite stiff on mine and moves with the zoom ring, so making it difficult to open/close with one hand.

Also it lacks internal focus, which wouldn't be a problem if the lens hood didn't turn with the front group! I always forget about this and rest it on a fence (on the lens hood) then focus, the AF motor bogs down and the lens drives itself along the fence!
The Minolta 80-200 overcomes this by the lens hood attaching to the body, the front group rotating within it.

It has a non-removable rotating tripod collar, it has a nice smooth action but occasionally gets in the way when shooting hand held. It also has a strap attachment.

I compared it directly to the old Minolta 80-200/2.8 - My options were to keep either [200 G + Tamron] or [80-200] As I didn't find that lens significantly superior, I sold it for more than the other two cost me together.

Addition: I have since tested this lens with a teleconverter (Kenko Pro 2x) and performance is awful - so don't plan on using a TC with this lens!

reviewer#2449 date: Jun-17-2007
compared to:Tamron - AF 75-300 F4-5.6 LD.
price paid:400 USD/580 AUS
positive:Fast focus.
Sharp at distance.
Looks like a canon (Military that is).
Cheap for what it is.
negative:Slide over manual focus cover flops open and closed.
comment:I bought this lens second hand a year or so ago. Since then the return spring on the aperture arm has warn out, as a result the aperture blades have become sloppy and can’t take photo's over f3.5 without severe over exposure. Even so this lens still takes solid photos at f2.8 with varying the shutter speeds. Will update review after repairs.
Lens has been repaired; I've taken 34 shots in dim to night conditions at aperture settings above f3.5 (f32/3.2sec shots of fire).
Lens repairs cost $160au. Will update review on further daylight tests.
reviewer#1143 date: Aug-30-2006
positive:Quick AF, Focus limit switch on lens, rock solid construction.
negative:Little on the heavy side.
comment:I purchased this lens to shoot my daughter's Volleyball team (Both Club and High School). I am completely amazed at how well this lens performs under the "less than ideal" situation I am forced to shoot (Strickly indoors, absolutely no flash, multiple adverse lighting conditions). For the price, this lens can't be beat. I'm sure it would lose hands down to the "G" series lenses but considering this lens is 1/3 the cost it is money well spent.
reviewer#790 date: May-15-2006
compared to:Minolta 70-210 f4 'beercan'
price paid:$1600 CDN (new)
positive:Sharp on film, built like the proverbial tank.
Smooooth bokeh.
negative:Noticeable chromatic abberation on 7D, soft image and quite heavy.
comment:I bought this lens new in 1993 along with my 7xi body. I have used this lens with my 7xi, 800si & 7, and on the three film bodies, this is an incredible lens. Fantastic. On the 7D, however...at any aperture wider than f8, there is noticeable CA, and the images seem to be a lot less sharp than with film. This may be due to the older coatings on the lens that was made during the era before digital....but so was my beercan, which is tack sharp on my film bodies and 7D at any aperture.
reviewer#644 date: Mar-30-2006
positive:Very Sharp and fast.
negative:Weight
comment:I bought this lens last year to shoot football pictures and I've been very impressed with the performance. Very sharp and focus action is very good. Nice lens, especially for the $$$.

reviewer#456 date: Jan-30-2006
compared to:Minolta 70-210 f4
positive:Constant f2.8
Seems to be long forgotten and inexpensive on ebay.
build feels very solid
negative:non-removable tripod colar
Heavy but all in this range are.
comment:I have only just received this lens but so far it looks seems very nice. Seems reasonably sharp at 2.8 and gets better stopped down as most do. Takes 77mm filters which are a bit pricey but are available from many companies.

I will revisit this review in a couple months after some real world use and adjust the ratings if needed.

Edit - 4/18/06 - no change in ratings -

When recieved this lens did not have a hood with it so I purchased a 77mm screw in hood intended for Nikon 80-200 f2.8 lens. This hood fits nicely and does not cause any issues.

I have also used this lens during an outdoor event with bright sunlight and very high contrast areas. Shooting mostly with F8 the lens is very sharp with no visible CA and good contrast even when shooting into the sun. So far I'm extremely pleased with this lens but I have yet to shoot a low light event with it. The focus speed is fast and it seems to track in continuous AF fairly well.
reviewer#231 date: Nov-23-2005
positive:Constant F/2.8
Very sharp lens wide open and in all zoom ranges
Built like a tank
Good value if you can find used
Focus Limit switch
negative:Non removable tripod collar
Prone to a bit of CA
Front element rotates
AF a bit slow
comment:I am very happy with this lens. I bought it used for $250 in excellent condition, a steal if you ask me. I like the quality of photos I have seen from it. If you are looking for an affordable 2.8 tele zoom with good optics, I say give this one a try. It balances well on a 7D. I would say it is as sharp as my Tamron 28-75 2.8 DI. Which I consider a
very sharp lens.