Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di USD G2 A-mount lens review by krabster

positive:Fast AF, especially in combination with the AF limiter
Reach
Solid built
Smooth and fast zoom
Sharpness at 600mm (after AF microadjustment)!!!
Zoomring can be locked at every position
negative:Heavy
Tripod collar not compatible with manfrotto 393 gimbal head
No attachment for a carrying strap
Little bit soft at 600mm
Largest aperture opening at 600mm is 6.3
comment:I bought this lens second hand because I wanted a little more reach. I use this lens on the Sony A77 II. I doubted whether I should switch to the Olympus OM-D system with lenses such as the 100-400mm f5-6.3 and the 300mm f4, but in the end I chose to stick with Sony A mount. The prices of the OM-D system scared me off.
At first the results of this lens were sadly bad, but after an AF microadjustment of -12 I got much better results. Now I'm quite satisfied.
This lens can still just be used freehand for me, but I usually take a monopod with me for some extra support. It is a pity that the Sony version does not have a built-in VC, the IBIS of the Sony A77 II falls short, with at most 2 stops of compensation. The AF is faster than the telephoto lenses I also own (Minolta 400mm and Sigma 500mm), especially if you use the AF limiter. Sharpness and colors are not as good as those of the Minolta 400mm. In terms of sharpness at the long end, the Tamron can compete with the Sigma 500mm. At 600mm, the colors of the Tamron are slightly less than the Sigma 500mm and the results at 600mm of the Tamron are also a bit softer than the Sigma 500mm. This lens needs a lot of light for the largest aperture opening is only f6.3. This lens works well for static subjects. I'm still improving when it comes to photographing birds in flight.