Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di USD A-mount lens review by wingedpower

* Sony 70-400G
price paid:799 USD (NEW)
positive:* Great build
* Long reach
* Nice heft(great for reducing vibrations/shake)
* Solid performance
negative:* HEAVY (this is not a light lens, tripod isn't a hard requirement, but unless you have great stamina, a tripod is a strong recommendation)
* Can be slow to AF on the long end at f/6.3 (Soft focal limiter of A99 and A99m2 a great plus here!)
* Minimum focusing distance (pro/con)
comment:I had originally rented this lens to cover my youngest brother's graduation ceremony. Shot from the back upper bleachers and the lens performed like a champ, allowing me to REALLY get close to the action on the stage, procession, and the occasional shots in covering the field. This lens will reach.

Given the weight of the lens, you will want a tripod with a good ball head. I had a compact tripod and a smallish ball head and I found that at times, the weight of the lens was capable of overwhelming the ball head I had. So something a bit beefier than the 1-2" ball heads would be recommended. If you have a gimbal? Even better.

The sharpness of the lens is quite good. Depending on your camera, you may or may not have to apply some micro-adjustment to get the focus just right for your setup.

I shot the graduation with the Sony A99 and a rented copy of the Tamron 150-600. I recently got the A99m2 and bought my own copy of the Tamron on sale from B&H for $799 USD brand new. Woot!

Test shooting indoors with low light, the A99m2 and the Tamron 150-600 pairs well.

Will be taking this lens out for some more serious testing in the coming weeks, but want to add that this lens works well on both of the A99(s). I also have an A6000 and will test it with the A-to-E adapter.