Tamron SP 300 AF A-mount lens review by Zachoff1

positive:Quick focusing
Solid build
Fast f/2.8
Nice warm color
Nice and Sharp at f/4 and up.
Low cost compared to others
negative:A bit soft at f/2.8
Older screw focus drive
Heavy
Hard to find internal filters.
comment:This is a rare lens. I came across it at a camera store in Indianapolis, IN, a few years ago. The sales rep told me the autofocus was broken so I low balled him and purchased for $350.00. It turned out that the auto-focus was just fine when I attached it to my a77II. Looking at the other two reviews it shows the lens to be white. My copy is black. This lens is a fantastic find. It is a bit soft at f/2.8 but very usable. At f/4 and stopped down through f/10 this lens is super sharp. The sharpness rating I believe is lower than it should be. I guess if you want and need the sharpness at f/2.8, and that's usually why you go with a fast lens in the first place, then I guess it is appropriate. But stopped down, I give it a 4.5 or better. I haven't gone beyond f/10 with this lens. I use it for birding, wildlife, sports, and almost anything. I have used it in combo with Tamron x1.4 AF teleconverter and get same great results. On the a77II using the LA-EA4, the auto-foucus was a bit sluggish for sports. On the a7III with the same adapter, it really shines. If you find one, buy it!