Tamron SP 85mm F1.8 Di USD A-mount lens reviews

reviewer#43019 date: Feb-20-2018
compared to:Minolta 100mm/2.8 macro ( RS )
Sony G 70-400/4.5-5.6 I
price paid:750 euro ( new )
positive:Sharp , perfect size and weight to balance my Sony A99II with battery pack , silent and smooth AF , effective sun hood
negative:focus shift to backfocus when used with smaller apartures than 4 , AF micro adjustment is needed
comment:-Perfect lens for portraits
-good handling and very sharp
-AF micro adjustment is needed to correct the focus shift with smaller apartures
-the downside of using a non native lens on my Sony camera is that i can only adjust the center AF sensor and not the ones in the corner
reviewer#42995 date: Jan-24-2018
compared to:Minolta 85/1.4G
price paid:749 USD new
positive:* Does not extend when focusing
* SSM style AF
* Some sealing
negative:* Only f/1.8
* Bokeh not as pleasing as the Minolta 85/1.4G
* Color seems slightly muted
comment:I got this lens because I need a fast 85 for concerts where there are smoke machines. The Minolta (and Zeiss) extend when focusing, thus will suck smoke into the lens and camera. It is a very good lens, feels solid and works perfectly. I prefer the bokeh on the Minolta, but this is hardly a knock on the lens. On the a99ii, AF is pretty fast, and with AF-C I have seen no accuracy issues. Overall I prefer the Minolta "look" but only slightly and the Tamron is a better choice for many environments. Well worth the price.