Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical A-mount lens review by jenik.nk

reviewer#10339 date: Jun-28-2012
quite good feel
good lens cap
negative:some distortion problems
range a bit short
comment:The most positive feeling about this lens is that there is not too much to say about it. I had Sigma 17-70, but I needed a 2.8 zoom because I shoot in lower light. I managed to sell it and bought this Tamron, even a bit cheaper. And I am very happy.

Sharpness is not an issue. I shoot at 2.8 most of the time and I don't lack sharpness. It's absolutely OK. Great. Sigma 17-70 was not so sharp wide open and it was slower. I have nothing special to say about colors. I can't see the "wow effect" I am used to with Minolta lenses, but there is also nothing to complain. I would give it 4.5 if I could.

Build is not excellent, it's plastic, but it seems OK and it should last. I had some problems with distortion in middle range, a bit disappointing (don't remember is with the Sigma), I shoot paintings at exhibitions sometimes. But at the widest setting the distortion is very acceptable, much better than the Sigma. I have never had problems with flare, but maybe I have never used it outdoors, so I give it a 4.

Generally - very pleased with it. Not a special lens, it is a standard range, but it works very reliably. Recommended!