Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical A-mount lens review by brikas

+Constant aperture F/2.8
+plastic but well built
negative:-lack of ultrasonic AF motor
-stiffly zoom ring
comment:Bought this for KIT lens replacement. I wanted Sony 16-50 but it`s almost twice expensive, so I bought this one for testing.

I`m not an expert, so I don`t know why it produces better results on A35 than on A290. On old A290 it`s better than KIT, but you will hardly notice difference in many conditions. On A35 it`s pretty clear winner.

I found, that this is very sharp even wide open, it`s sharper than my Sony 50mm f/1.8 prime lens, better for portraits too, so, it replaces two lenses for me.

About auto focus motor. Sony version focuses from body in built AF motor, it`s nice and fast, but for video shooting it`s too loud and you can clearly hear that noise. Anyway, it`s much better than Canon version with built in AF motor in lens, which is not ultrasonic, like on SP 70-300, for example.

Also zoom ring is too stiffly, so it`s pretty hard to make smooth zoom-in-out while capturing video. Of course, practice makes perfect, but it`s out of competition when comparing to smooth Minolta beercans zoom ring.