Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical A-mount lens review by moedius

Relatively compact and light
Decent build quality
negative:Edges\Corners
PF\CA
comment:As it was purchased used I can only review the copy I own.

When looking for something to fill this niche it was between the Tamron 17-50 and the Sony 16-50SSM and this one ultimately won simply because of the cost; I got it for a steal through a lucky auction.

Quite sharp in the center portion, through the zoom range, even wide open. Tested when I got it and it was on target between the 28-50 focal lengths, minor MFA for the wide end of the zoom.

Edges and corner are much less good at 2.8 and slightly imrove when stopped down. Most of the primes do much better (which I expected). I wouldn't recommend this as a dedicated landscape lens, but as a walkaround w\approx equiv 28-75mm FL I enjoy it and the images it creates.

In sum, it provides good image quality, color, AF accuracy, focal range, fast aperture, and all in a compact lens and it's very modestly priced. By all accounts the Sony SSM 16-50 seems to be a better lens, but it's also more expensive so this makes a great alternative.