Tamron SP AF 60mm F2 Di II LD (IF) A-mount lens review by robberly12

reviewer#10521 date: Sep-20-2012
price paid:$450 USD (new)
positive:Small & Light
Works well w/built-in flash
Full-time manual focus
negative:Slow auto-focusing
comment:A great lens. Very sharp. I use it mostly for macro work, but also a great walk-around lens.

It works especially well with my A330's built-in flash for aperture-priority macros in LV mode because I can get great depth of field at small apertures. The lens is so small & short with the hood removed that it doesn't block the flash, even at 1:1 (because of its internal focus).

Auto-focusing is not its strong suit. It tends to hunt, but this is not a big deal to me because I generally use MF for macro work.

I do like that it has a built-in focus motor and full-time manual focus, though.

Build is unimpressive -- I had one short period when the focus ring started grinding a little but fortunately that passed (although it is always a little stiff). If you "baby" it, like I do, I think it will be fine. Besides, in the US at least, you have Tamron's 6-year warranty to fall back on!

A bonus for me is that it works great with Kenko's 1.4x MC4 DGX teleconverter. This gives it extra reach, as well correctly reporting the exif data as an 85mm/F2.8 lens.

The Tamron 60 f/2 Macro is both an affordable and high-performing lens. Highly recommended!