Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F2.8 Di LD IF Macro A-mount lens review by GlassEye

reviewer#11399 date: Oct-23-2013
compared to:70-210 Minolta Beercan
price paid:$769 USD new
positive:Sharp, well built, reasonably quick focus, tripod mount. 6 year warrantee.
negative:Noticeably soft at f/2.8, but sharpens up dramatically by f/4. This lens focuses in front of the target. It does not respond to Focus Adjust on the a99mk2. Manual focus is perfect, but difficult to achieve accuracy. Plastic construction, overly sensitive manual focus, auto focus not quite as fast as hoped for.
Focus changes while zooming.
comment:1/23/2020 I traded this lens for a Minolta 200mm HS. I could never nail auto focus, but manual was good. This lens exhibits serious auto focus issues and does not respond to micro adjust.
I've had this about a month now. I bought it to replace the Beercan. This lens seems like a good middle ground for price and quality. It is 'plastic' but don't let that throw you. It is well made and should hold up well, I think. I have noticed a few 'issues': There have been a frame or two where it just didn't stop down. This was in a series all shot with the same settings.
All in all, even though I wish I could have afforded the newer Tamron or the new Sony 70-200, I like this lens.