Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F2.8 Di LD IF Macro A-mount lens review by photoBear

positive:Price
2.8 apeture
Sharpness right down to 2.8
bright in viewfinder
Focus speed/accuracy on a700 is great.
no perceptale flare or distortion and the colours are quite nice
negative:As with most 70-200 2.8's its big and weighty, large filters, the same for all lenses of this type.
Manual focus can take a bit of finesse
comment:I had looked for a telephoto zoom for about a year and when I had the cash I decided on this one and I am glad I did.

The lens exceeded my expectations based on testing and user reviews in all areas. I Find it very sharp right down to f2.9 across the zoom range.

The focus speed, accuracy and noise are all much better than I expected and when compared in store to the sony 70-200g there is no perceptible difference in speed and accuracy. The focus was also very quiet for a screw type focus lens, quieter than it would need to be for most situations.

The build quality is great, not far off the sony g and I think better than the sigmas. I am a fan of the push pull focus switching, it practice it works quite well because its not as fiddly as two switches would be.

The focus ring is very direct manually focusing but it is quite delicate and requires some finesse, both the zoom & focus rings are smooth and rotate about just under 45' which is ideal and allows full movement using the fingers without having to change grip.

There are no focus hold or limiter buttons but in practice I find that doesn’t really matter. I would have given this lens a 4.5 for colour and build, it also truly deserves 5 for sharpness, flare and distortion.

This lens is well priced, well designed, well built and performs beautifully that is all you can really hope for in a lens, the image results speak for themselves. It offers a much more affordable option to the sony 70-200g that is less than half the price and the end results are just as good.