Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F2.8 Di LD IF Macro A-mount lens review by danny001

Sony 50mm/F1.8
Sony 18-55mm
price paid:430€
positive:Bright viewfinder
AF is pretty fast and not too loud
Good IQ from F3.5
Build quality is fine
CA is really low
negative:lens in for repair under warranty, problem fixed
IQ at F2.8/F3.2
comment:Update 31/08/2011

This review is updated because the lens went in for repair for a decentering problem (under warranty). Previous I said F2.8 was really bad, well know sharpness is much better, probably there was also a focus poblem. But I found out there is still a decentering problem, it is a little better but still there, right side of image out of focus. I will go back to the store and see what will happen. I'll keep it updated. 27/09/2011 - In real life, everything looks fine. Made some really sharp pictures on a birdshow. I won't go back to the store for that little decentering problem, I just don't see it anymore in my pictures, everything looks (really)sharp. I would say I prefer this one over the 70-300g.

I sold my 70-300g because I wanted something more than F5.6 on the longer end, so I bought the Tamron instead. And it delivers great images, from F3.5. IQ at F2.8 and F3.2 is not good enough, some purple halo's in high contrast scenes and soft. Just treat it as a F3.5 and you will take good pictures. Bokeh is really nice and I haven't found any CA yet.
I made some pictures on a racetrack and it was a joy to use this lens. Af was fast (A550) and I got a lot of good shots. Also a big difference between this and the 70-300g was the viewfinder, it is much brighter, what i certainly like.
It's a heavy lens so I use a monopod when shooting sports. Included is a great tripod mount and sunhood. Build quality is good for me.

Take e look at my pictures : www.alex-digitalpics.be , Look under 'Racing' for pictures with this lens.