Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F2.8 Di LD IF Macro A-mount lens review by tomiZG

compared to:Beercan
T28-75 4
T90 2.8
Min135 2.8
price paid:450 EUR used (mint)
positive:- sharp
- cheap
- great build
negative:- AF hunting in normally lit rooms.
comment:As I use this lens mostly on FF this review is about using this lens on FF. Everything said, especially the part regarding sharpness, is less dramatic on aps-c, of course.

Very nice sharpness all the way til ~180mm, very sharp from 3.2 already, 2.8 useful, at 200mm needs to be stopped down to 4.5 to get sharpness over a larger area. As I use it 90% for portraits it does bother me that wide open and shooting in vertical position the head(s) will be a bit blurry. It may be my copy, but stopped down this down effect vanishes.

Autofocus is a BIG PAIN in *** ***. Used indoors (even in well lit rooms) it hunts dramatically. I loose a lot of good shots this way and often I refer to my beloved Min 135 2.8 then as the T70-200 seems useless often inside.
This is the part where an SSM / HSM lens would deliver better AF performance and I am afraid I will need to upgrade.

UPDATE (07/2012): I sold the lens in favor of the Sigma 70-200 HSMii. The Sigma (or was I lucky getting a great copy) is stellar compared to the Tamron in every aspect.