Tamron SP AF 90mm F2.8 Di Macro A-mount lens review by slo.Metallc

reviewer#11084 date: Apr-27-2013
price paid:350 € (new)
positive:Excellent sharpness
Great, smooth and creamy bokeh
True macro (1:1)
Great colors
Good manual focus control
Focus limiter
lightweight

negative:- very loud (not that I mind)
- slow AF
comment:Well, this is my favorite lens.

I can’t compare it to other lenses but for this price you get more than you can expect.

Image quality is excellent and color reproduction is great. Bokeh is smooth and creamy.
My copy is sharp from F2.8 on.

Build is o.k. for this price. Yes, it has a plastic feeling but hey… it’s made of plastic.
At first you think it’s going to fall apart very soon, but after a while you get used to it and actually now I think that it’s build very well.
It has huge focus ring that allows you to control focus really good.
Front element is recessed which is good because you don’t have to use lens hood when doing 1:1 macro.

AF is very slow and noisy but I guess that is ok for a macro lens (anyway, I use it in manual focus mode most of time). You have the focus limiter to speed up AF if you use lens as portrait lens.

Due to recessed front element in combination with large lens hood I never had any problems with flaring.

There is little CA wide open but it’s not really problematic.

Overall this is fantastic lens which I recommend to everyone who wants to explore the world of macro photography. When it comes to sharpness, image quality, colors and bokeh, it easily competes with much more expensive macro lenses in range of 90-105mm. Actually I think it outperforms them.