Tamron SP AF 90mm F2.8 Di Macro A-mount lens review by ph0t0man

reviewer#582 date: Mar-15-2006
compared to:70-210/4
50/1.7
positive:Super sharp, Fun focal length, good design
negative:slightly cheesey build
different than typical minolta lenses?
comment:My first and only true macro lens. Well, I don't use it a ton for macro, but it certainly does that job well. I bought it so I would stop lusting after the 85/1.4, and it is working so far. This lens is pleanty fast to focus when the limiter is in place, so no worries about it being a typically slow focusing macro lens. Sharp wide open (like most every macro), so no worries about shooting it wide open when you want a smooth and creamy bokeh.
Build quality is a tad lower than I'd like, but I really like the design of the MF ring. Slide it forward and it spins freely (or stays stationary while the AF turns). If you want to MF, either leave it in the rear position and live with it turning while AF, or switch it back and forth. A full time MF ring with automatic clutch would be nicer, but this is one step away.
It is a great fun lens, and I am glad I have it. Might not be worth quite as much as they ask for it new...but that is my humble opinion.