Tamron SP AF 90mm F2.8 Di Macro A-mount lens review by digitalsniper

compared to:Beercan
Mini-Beercan
Sony SAL 1650F28
Minolta 25-85 F3.5 - F4.5
price paid:SGD 370 (used)
positive:Lightweight but sturdy
Excellent color
1:1 Macro
No flare
negative:Hunting
Color aberation
comment:I bought this almost new T90 lens from a retiree who decided to shift to another system.

Price: For the price I paid, nothing can beat Tamron. Sony and Minolta macro lens is sure to be at least double the price even for a used set.

Sharpness: This lens is as sharp as a Gillette blade! Excellent sharpness of the subject and DOF of the foreground and background. This lens is excellent for portraiture photography as it highlights the subject due to its sharpness. This lens is a close 2nd to my beastly Sony 1650F28 SSM.

Color: After testing all 4 lenses using the same subject, I could say that this lens has a nostalgic color rendering. All my 3 minolta lenses has that vibrant colors while my Sony 1650F28 and T90 has that nostalgic and rich colors.

Build: Tamron decided to use polycarbonate with all their lenses and I could say that this is the right way for macro lenses considering that more weight can make our hands more shaky.

Distortion: The T90 lens has no distortion issue at all

Flare: The front element of the T90 lens is approximately 40mm deeper than the top portion of the barrel, one can surely expect no flare at all. As a matter of fact, I find the included hood to be totally useless, especially for macro shots as it might touch the subject when taking a 1:1 macro shot.

Conclusion: Get a copy now if you find one as it is not only very affordable compared to Sony or other manufacturer but most importantly, T90 delivers stunningly sharp image and rich, nostalgic colors. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!