Tamron SP AF 90mm F2.8 Di Macro A-mount lens reviews

reviewer#32726 date: Dec-3-2016
compared to:Sigma EX DG 50mm F2.8 Macro
Sony AF DT 30mm F2.8 Macro
Rokinon 85mm T1.5 CineT
price paid:300 USD ( used )
positive:-Sharpness
-Build
-1:1
-Full/Limit switch
-AF speed
-Smooth focus ring
negative:-Little bit noisy
comment:Great sharpness at all aperture stops . Very fast in Limit mode . Build quality good for plastic material . Lighter than minolta af 100mm macro . Compatible with FF .
reviewer#26549 date: Apr-14-2016
compared to:Minolta 50mm f1.7
Sony DT 55-200
Sony DT 55-300
Tamron adaptall 80-210/etc
Various MF primes, eg 135mm
Various MF lenses with bellows for macro
price paid:150 UKP s/h
positive:Amazingly sharp
Useful aperture
Close-focussing
Usable 1:1 macro without extras
Light weight
Robust
negative:Quite long (much longer than the Sony 85mm f2.8)
Slow focussing (only a problem if the camera AF gets it wrong)
Push-pull MF action takes some getting used to.
comment:As others have said, an amazingly sharp lens, useful not just for macro but tight portraits and general photography.
Unlike the original adaptall lens and the later USD, this screw-drive version is a true telephoto, constructed as an all-moving 50mm-ish main lens with a fixed negative rear element equivalent to a 2x TC.
On the A58, I find it AFs well most of the time, but when it goes wrong it can take a while to get back into the right range, though the focus limiter helps here. I don't think this is a fault with the lens, but with the way the PDAF works, but it is possibly more obvious with this lens because of the screw drive and long focus travel. I find it best not to use spot focus but a wider focus, to ensure the AF has something to fix on.

Sharp? Yes! Tests with the Koren 2003 lens test chart show this lens to beat the 20Mp A58 camera sensor by a very large margin, making it sharp even with a separate TC added, and perfectly useable as a 180mm f5.6 lens.
With the TC on it is a little less sharp at f2.8 than f4-f5.6 but I don't notice this on its own. I haven't noticed any back/front focus issues either (no micro-adjust on the A58!)
I find it AFs fine with a chipped 8-pin Teleplus MC4 TC, but won't AF or operate with a 1.4x 5-pin unchipped TC, which surprised me since all the Minolta screw-drive lenses I have will operate normally on 5-pin TCs.
The push-pull AF-MF action is a bit of an oddity (I haven't come across this before) and takes some getting used to.
I don't bother with the lens hood unless I'm using a PL filter, as the front element is already well shielded.
The Tamron 90mm makes an excellent nature lens, with closer focussing than the Sony 55-200mm (though this is also good), but as close-ups need a small aperture to get enough DOF the wide aperture isn't as useful here as you might expect. Macro performance is excellent as expected.
I haven't used it very much on film or FF (yet), but the f2.8 aperture is useful on a camera with OVF.

Incidentally this version of the tamron 90mm macro doesn;t do nice sunstars, unlike the older f2.5 1:2 macro model with 8-sided iris which gives very good 8-point sunstars with long narrow spikes.
reviewer#14229 date: Apr-21-2015
- Loong focusing throw
- Wide focusing Ring
- Smooth Manual Focus
- Great Value for Price
negative:- Watch out for busy background bokeh wise
- In Body Focusing. Yes it works on older film cameras but it also is louder. And on the Sony models no decoupling.
- A big long and it does extends while focusing closer.

comment:Its bokeh can be busy if the background is challenging. During Macro situations you probably won't notice this. But if you shoot a portrait make sure the background won't cause busy bokeh. Average on that point but here is the trick on the right situation the bokey is lovely. For portraits I suggest another lens.

But it is sharp, so sharp even at F2.8 it is usable sharp. Compared to for instance the Tamron SP 28-75mm F2.8 which really can use the boost to F4.0. Or the 17-50mm F2.8 from Tamron that at 50mm really NEEDS F4.0. This lens is just sharp!

Compared to the Sony DT 50mm F1.8 again it is sharp enough wide open. Where the Sony really could use around F2.8 to begin to shine. Maybe even F4.0!

Now the big point it is a Macro lens. How good is it at doing its job as Macro lens? It is doing a great job at it, it is sharp, the focussing is smooth, the image quality it gives you is great. If you try it out on a coin you can make just awesome pictures. With deep ridges where the sculpting or lettering has happened. It is all there and flat like it should. Sharp in center and in the corners!

Of course flowers and small critters are most lovely photographed with them to. But also for daily use it works fine. Again it is a sharp lens and its bokeh is average. I wouldn't suggest it for portraits!

I can't fault it much. Well maybe it if has internal focussing, that was silent, and had a declutch system, But then again such would ramp the price and one of the great things about this lens is that even new it has a really good price.

It is cheap enough has great glass might have a few improvements it lacks that a more expensive first brand lens might come with.
reviewer#12201 date: Mar-22-2015
compared to:sharpness is on a par with the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 and the Minolta 135 f2.8 pocket rocket
price paid:GBP279
positive:Super sharp lens even when used wide open.
The focus limit switch is a real help at times.
negative:extends when focussing which can be a hinderence at times.
comment:over all a great lens well worth the money
reviewer#11402 date: Oct-23-2013
compared to:Tamron 180mm macro
Sony 16-105mm
Tamron 70-300mm
price paid:300 usd (USED MINT)
negative:Flare
CA
AF
comment:Light weight.
Well built for the weight.
AF hunts a lot, but it is a macro and you should expect that.
AF a little noisy.
Extends when focused.
Sharp, sharp, sharp!
Lots of CA when against a light source.
reviewer#11394 date: Oct-16-2013
compared to:Minolta AF 100mm Macro
price paid:325.00
positive:sharpness & color seemed good, but not as good as the Minolta AF 100mm Macro. The lens hood was better then the Minolta though.
negative:Very cheap feel [plastic]. I'm also not a huge fan of the way Tamron lenses manual focus works [you have to pull the focus ring back]. I had intermittent AF errors with the lens on my A77, but I think I had a bad copy. KEH gave me a refund, no questions asked.
comment:I had the Minolta AF 100mm and the Tamron's build is VERY cheap feeling. Also, on my A77 I had compatibility issues. The lens and camera would stop communicating. It was very random, so I sent it back to KEH. I think I just got a bad copy.

UPDATE: 10/23/13

I bought a second copy and I'm much happier with the performance of the lens. Works great on both my A77 & A900. Sharpness and color are great. I think I just had a bad copy on my first go around.
reviewer#11084 date: Apr-27-2013
price paid:350 € (new)
positive:Excellent sharpness
Great, smooth and creamy bokeh
True macro (1:1)
Great colors
Good manual focus control
Focus limiter
lightweight

negative:- very loud (not that I mind)
- slow AF
comment:Well, this is my favorite lens.

I can’t compare it to other lenses but for this price you get more than you can expect.

Image quality is excellent and color reproduction is great. Bokeh is smooth and creamy.
My copy is sharp from F2.8 on.

Build is o.k. for this price. Yes, it has a plastic feeling but hey… it’s made of plastic.
At first you think it’s going to fall apart very soon, but after a while you get used to it and actually now I think that it’s build very well.
It has huge focus ring that allows you to control focus really good.
Front element is recessed which is good because you don’t have to use lens hood when doing 1:1 macro.

AF is very slow and noisy but I guess that is ok for a macro lens (anyway, I use it in manual focus mode most of time). You have the focus limiter to speed up AF if you use lens as portrait lens.

Due to recessed front element in combination with large lens hood I never had any problems with flaring.

There is little CA wide open but it’s not really problematic.

Overall this is fantastic lens which I recommend to everyone who wants to explore the world of macro photography. When it comes to sharpness, image quality, colors and bokeh, it easily competes with much more expensive macro lenses in range of 90-105mm. Actually I think it outperforms them.
reviewer#10723 date: Nov-23-2012
positive:- Sharpness is great
- 1:1 macro!
- Colour quality

negative:- Nothing
comment:
reviewer#10484 date: Sep-3-2012
compared to:Tamron 52E
price paid:350.00 USD (new)
positive:Very sharp, true Macro. Great medium telephoto. Light. Focus limiter. Recessed front element. Sturdy enough for all but pro use.
negative:Plastic build, does not report correctly in EXIF. Iffy AF.
comment:This lens is a great upgrade from the earlier 52E 'macro'. It is very sharp and does just what you want it to. It's a real joy to use. It reports as a generic 100mm lens that has a 90mm focal length.
As to AF, this lens is a bit slow and noisy on my A55 and tends to hunt. The focus limiter helps on this. Of course, for close up work you would use MF.
I had to choose between the Tamron and the Sony 100mm Macro and I just could not see my way to spending more than 2X the money for a very similar lens. I am happy with this lens and would recommend it to any amateur that demands high quality shots.
reviewer#10456 date: Aug-17-2012
18-55&55-200 kit lenses
50mm 1.8
Lensbaby muse
positive:*Smoooth creamy bokeh
*Very sharp even wide open
*Rich, detailed colors
*Lightweight (for an f2.8!)
*No CA or distortion
*Af is very quick with limiter on.
negative:*Build feels slightly flimsy but is not a big deal-breaker
comment:Great sharp lens, it provides creamy bokeh and has a good focal length for macro.
15/09/2012 : Got some great flower pics w/ this lens, also got loads of squirrel and dog pics in the park, af isn't too bafd :)
reviewer#10331 date: Jun-26-2012
compared to:Sony 100mm macro
Tamron 180 macro
light
well made
no aberrations
No distortions
comment:I have returned to a lighter macro lens after a period with the Tamron 180 macro ( a stunning lens but very big and heavy) This Tamron 90 lens is nice and light, has a focus limiter, focus speed is not bad for a macro lens and the image quality is top notch. Build quality is good and not too heavy, fine for hand holding. I am delighted with it. I find it more responsive than the Sony macro , a lot quicker to focus than the Tamron 180 too.
reviewer#10249 date: May-29-2012
compared to:- Sony 16-50 f2.8
- Minolta 70-210 f4
price paid:265 CAD
positive:- SHARP!
- Great focal length for macro work
- Build/weight has a good balance on the A77
- Nice DOF and bokeh
- Great color reproduction
negative:- AF/MF push/pull mechanism is annoying in that you can switch accidentally while manually focusing
- Slow focusing and definitely has trouble with all but well lit-subjects
comment:A great macro lens that has really opened up my ability to shoot some of my favourite subjects up close and personal. It also is a good lens for portraits as well and for the cost is really tough to beat.
reviewer#10177 date: May-5-2012
compared to:beercan
sigma 70-200/2.8
minolta 85/1.4
nice color
nice bokeh
rather cheap
f 2.8
very long manual focus range (3/4 turn)
negative:only 90mm
slow autofocus
comment:For macro this is a very nice lens.
For people also, but the minolta 85/1.4 is much better
reviewer#10075 date: Apr-2-2012
positive:Sharp, Sharp, Sharp!
Cheap
Good Optic
negative:Build (adequate for Price though)
Noisy!
comment:This Lens is great. I just started enjoying macro and this lens is my first Macro (Full Frame Lens) on a900 and Minolta Film cameras this lens performs really great. No Regret what so ever. In the Future I just Hope For longer to enable more light
reviewer#10068 date: Mar-31-2012
compared to:min0 50f3.5
sigma 105mm m macroacro
nice colours
bokeh
comment:very nice lens very sharp
good colours
lovely bokeh
very good value for money
much better than my compared too lenses
reviewer#10045 date: Mar-22-2012
price paid:USD 430 ( New)
positive:wide aperture

overall a nice lens to own considering the price
negative:Focus mechanism
comment:Overall a pretty good lens, even though quality is not as good as tamron 17-50mm f2,8

Focusing tends to be slow, a built in motor would be nice,
reviewer#10007 date: Mar-8-2012
compared to:Minolta 50mm/2.8 macro
Sony 135mm/2.89[T4.5] STF
price paid:220 USD (Used)
Color
Full Frame
negative:Some CA wide open
comment:I bought a pre-owned lens at what I would call a great deal for the money. The lens is very sharp and easy to work with. It is also light and a great fit on SLT-A55. I have no issues with build, despite use of plastic (the mount is metal). After all, expecting an STF like build would come with STF like weight. It is comparable in sharpness to STF with 4x greater magnification at MFD.

Considering that one can find these for about half of what a Minolta 100mm/2.8 costs, both in used market, this isn’t just a great macro lens, it is also a great bargain!
reviewer#9998 date: Mar-6-2012
compared to:Beercan
Mini-Beercan
Sony SAL 1650F28
Minolta 25-85 F3.5 - F4.5
price paid:SGD 370 (used)
positive:Lightweight but sturdy
Excellent color
1:1 Macro
No flare
negative:Hunting
Color aberation
comment:I bought this almost new T90 lens from a retiree who decided to shift to another system.

Price: For the price I paid, nothing can beat Tamron. Sony and Minolta macro lens is sure to be at least double the price even for a used set.

Sharpness: This lens is as sharp as a Gillette blade! Excellent sharpness of the subject and DOF of the foreground and background. This lens is excellent for portraiture photography as it highlights the subject due to its sharpness. This lens is a close 2nd to my beastly Sony 1650F28 SSM.

Color: After testing all 4 lenses using the same subject, I could say that this lens has a nostalgic color rendering. All my 3 minolta lenses has that vibrant colors while my Sony 1650F28 and T90 has that nostalgic and rich colors.

Build: Tamron decided to use polycarbonate with all their lenses and I could say that this is the right way for macro lenses considering that more weight can make our hands more shaky.

Distortion: The T90 lens has no distortion issue at all

Flare: The front element of the T90 lens is approximately 40mm deeper than the top portion of the barrel, one can surely expect no flare at all. As a matter of fact, I find the included hood to be totally useless, especially for macro shots as it might touch the subject when taking a 1:1 macro shot.

Conclusion: Get a copy now if you find one as it is not only very affordable compared to Sony or other manufacturer but most importantly, T90 delivers stunningly sharp image and rich, nostalgic colors. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

reviewer#9947 date: Feb-18-2012
compared to:Minolta AF 50 1.7
price paid:380 EUR (new)
nice saturation
nice head shot lens (APS-C)
negative:slow AF
AF hunts
comment:I rarely use this lens but I will keep it. Expect more value on FF (Macro plus Portrait).
reviewer#9806 date: Jan-18-2012
compared to:Minolta 100 F2.8
positive:- Sharp
- Light compare to Minolta
- ADI support
comment:Compared to Minolta 100 F2.8, the color is not so rich (especially on green).
Besides macro photography, a lot of the people use as portrait lens as well.
However, sold it after bring in Minolta 100 macro lens.
reviewer#9451 date: Sep-26-2011
compared to:Minolta Macro Rokkor 100mm F4, Cosina 100mm F3.5 Macro
price paid:406€ (new)
positive:-Price
-Build
-Sharpness
-Limit focus switch
negative:-AF is very slow an inprecise
-Much CAs
-Useless AF/MF switch
-On infinity not as good as Cosina 100mm F3.5 Macro
comment:This lens is over-rated I think.
It shows many chromtical abberations. AF is really annoying.
reviewer#9336 date: Aug-14-2011
positive:Very Sharp
Easy manual focus
Lots of Uses
negative:Slow Autofocus
comment:Picked this up at a bargain price, with caps, hood and case
My first macro lens and I am very happy
reviewer#8908 date: Apr-10-2011
compared to:Sony AF DT 30 F2.8 Macro SAM SAL30M28
Sony 85 F2.8 SAM SAL85F28
positive:SHARP!!!!!
Good manual focus control - lots of turn means easier to find the focus point.
negative:A little noisy.
Slow autofocus - too much hunting.
comment:Probably the sharpest lens I own. A true classic macro lens, it can also stand in as a decent portrait lens.. as long as you have software that can desharpen the image to make it more flattering :-).

The negatives are really negative for a macro lens, more annoyances when you use it as a non-macro.
reviewer#8861 date: Apr-3-2011
price paid:300 AUD
positive:Very sharp. Good in low light.
negative:AF is slow
comment:This is a very sharp lens. The AF is slow but then again, for macro photography manual focus is the way to go. Its well built and I can't find much to fault this lens other than the AF.
reviewer#8811 date: Mar-20-2011
compared to:CZ 24-70 2.8
100 2.8 nikon macro
70-200 2.8 apo hs
18-70 kit lens
35-105 RS
price paid:429 CDN (new)
positive:Easy to read labels and focus display
Smooth and sturdy focus ring
Very nice out of focus areas
negative:Pointless push/pull af/manual ring
comment:It is, like other macro lenses, a solid bet. There isn't really a bad macro lens out there from the major makers.

The push/pull af/m focus ring is pointless from what I can tell, it doesn't disengage the autofocus unless you turn it off on the camera body.

The surprise to me was how good the out of focus is for portraiture. It is an equal to my 70-200 G for sharpness (sharper at 2.8) and bokeh, and with the focus limiter, it is fast enough to focus. It is not on par with any of CZ lenses, especially on the A900.

I got this for studio work where I need to get closer than the CZ 24-70 can (0.25x), and to see if I could reduce some weight for some portrait jobs.
reviewer#8761 date: Mar-8-2011
compared to:Vivitar 100 3.5 "Plastic Fantastic"
Vivitar 90 2.8 MD (with adaptor)
price paid:415 USD after rebate
positive:SHARP!!!!!
Easy to focus
Good color
Consistent depth of field control
6 year warranty
negative:Feels cheap, but is still sturdy.
comment:I compared this to the Sony 100 macro in the store and decided that the Sony wasn't worth the extra $$.

It's sharp, as others have pointed out. It's sometimes slow to AF, but in good light it's really not that bad. It's a macro, after all.

It's light years ahead of the plastic fantastic in terms of build quality (but not as solid as my old Vivitar MD, which is a tank). This will be my new walk-around macro lens of choice. I can't wait for spring so I can go find some flowers and insects to get acquainted with up-close and personal.
reviewer#8730 date: Mar-2-2011
compared to:Sony 35 1.8
price paid:450 USD New
negative:Slow Focus
comment:One of my favorite lenses. Slow focusing but it is a Macro so that is kind of expected.
reviewer#8649 date: Feb-12-2011
positive:sharp...good in low light setting
good can be use with macro lens conversion...
negative:slow, hunting when AF, need to turn MF to achieve 1:1 ratio...
comment:if mad about macro...this is the best lens!!! as well as potrait lens
reviewer#8339 date: Dec-2-2010
positive:Sharp, easy to use MF, bokeh
negative:Slow AF (but it is a macro)
comment:My first macro lens, got for a bargain price. Tricky to get focus right on small insects but that's due to my inexperience. Practice and live view will make that easier. Great for portraits.
reviewer#8233 date: Nov-12-2010