Tokina 100-300mm F4 AT-X 340 AF-II A-mount lens review by terrylloydsmith

f4 constant speed
A tremendous lens!!
negative:Heavy but OK
RARE
Zoom is in opposite direction
comment:What a fantastic lens! The sharpness is very impressive. I have a minty red-ring version that came with a factory clip-on hood...not the usual screw-on variety.

I agree with most other reviews here. This lens has a special build quality. Its very solid and smooth. The pictures I have taken with the example I own are extremely sharp, crisp and contrasty. What a bargain at $400! I believe it is as sharp and contrasty as the Sony/Minolta 70-200 SSM.

It just kills the Maxxum 100-300 APO D I had...and it was a very good lens. Its heavy and long, but that's the only nit-picks I have. Beautiful lens.

The bottom line is this: If you have a chance to purchase this GEM you'd better do it. This Tokina is an excellent, excellent lens. It also uses 77mm filters and is EASILY worth twice what I paid. Hard to find.

UPDATE 11/2010:

Having owned this lens for a couple years I can say with all honesty that this ATX 100-300/4 is at least as good, or BETTER than anything I have owned...that includes the 70-200 SSM and my prized 80-200 HS. As a bonus it performs surprisingly well with the 1.4x Kenko Pro TC. 2x TC is not as good but OK. It's the best zoom lens I have ever used and the last one I would ever sell.