Tokina 100-300mm F4 AT-X 340 AF-II A-mount lens review by Heyjijdaar

reviewer#6050 date: Sep-14-2009
compared to:Beercan (Tokina has better contrast), SAL18-250 (Tokina has much better contrast), Minolta 70-210 (3.5-4.5 and 4.5-5.6) the Tokina again has much better contrast and is way sharper.
Minolta 100-400 APO, I wish my 'new' Apo was as sharp as that Tokina.
price paid:€ 350
positive:Really sharp, even wide open. Watch out for flying insects, they will be seen in the photo... Quite fast autofocus and not too noisy. A beercan isn't build like a tank, this one is! When you use it with the hood, you'll catch everybody's attention. I like the colours and the bokeh is acceptable. Did I say that is really sharp!?
negative:Heavy, it's going away because it's too heavy. I've used it on A350, and its weight test the build quality of the camera. I've always got the feeling that the Tokina was superiour to my A350.
The hood is screw-on-type, which takes quite a lot time to put on. When not using the hood, you'll find out it can't be stored on the lens (backwards).
comment:It's great, build to last and to perform. If you need one, train your arms and buy a bigger bag, then find one and you'll wont be disappointed.

Update 25-2-2010: this lens has been sold, it was too heave for me. Although I miss the lens, because it was better than the beercan and 100-400 I still have.