Tokina 11-16mm F2.8 AT-X 116 PRO DX A-mount lens review by horsedino

reviewer#44305 date: May-23-2019
compared to:Samyang 12mm f2 E-mount
Sony 16-50 f2.8 SSM
Sony 35mm f1.8 SAM
Minolta 50mm f1.7 AF (version 1)
Minolta 28mm f2.8 AF
Bokeh OYEAH
negative:Noisy AF
Slow AF
AF in general lol
comment:I used to shoot real state with a sony a6000 + samyang 12mm f2 - But I wanted to shoot some video as well with another camera. So I had an a58 and searched for samyang lenses for a-mount. There wasn't a 12mm f2 so I found out the tokina was the sharpest a-mount super wide angle lens. Found a good deal on it and bought it. - I ditched my a6000 + samyang after some months with it.

SHARPNESS
As sharp as the samyang 12mm f2 (which is a prime). At f2.8 it isn't that sharp but it's sharp enough for most uses. I still prefer to close my apperture to f8 for landscapes but I'm not afraid to shoot wide open when I need to.
COLOR RATING
It's a little less appealing than my other a-mount lenses. But I shoot raw so I'm not quite sure on this statement.
BUILD RATING
Better built than my sony 16-50 f2.8 SSM. Which is a very good lens, they say it needed to be a G lens.
I love the focus ring and I wish every lens had this same system. Lemme explain:
When I'm shooting realstate I need to focus at infinity at all times. So I change to MF on camera, set it to infinity and I don't have to worry about focus until the end of the shoot. With the 12mm f2 I used to touch the focus ring at times and I used to lose the focus at infinity. Sometimes I missed a shot or two due to this. With the tokina I set it to infinity and I lock it. So I don't have to worry at all!
Also, the lens feels very good in the hand and very sturdy. It's a dream of a build.
DISTORTION
I wish every wide angle lens was so good. I shoot a lot at 11mm and it feels very natural. Lightroom has a profile for it but LOOK OUT! Lightroom thinks I'm using a sony 20mm f2 at 11mm so it will choose the wrong profile at times.
FLARE CONTROL
It's a very flare prone lens. I don't have any issues with it, but it's just not good. If you like flares you won't mind this lens. I like them at times, so I have no issues with it.

BOKEH
I don't remember much of the bokeh, but the blur is very pleasing. But you have to get really close. The samyang was better because it had better macro and it was a tad faster. But the lens still performs well.

CONCLUSION:
BUY IT! It will last forever! You can even shoot stars with it. Just DON'T use it for AF video. AF is noisy and slow. But if you want to manual focus go for it, it the focus ring gives me confidence.