Tokina 28-105mm F3.5-4.5 AF Aspherical A-mount lens review by Stu666

compared to:Minolta 28-105 RS
positive:Beautiful colors
Excellent build quality
negative:Nothing so far
comment:My first review, not as technical as most but hopefully helpful to some :)

I sought this lens out after trying the Tokina 75-300 AF and being very impressed.

I have been lucky enough to compare this with the Minolta 28-105 RS, I tested both on my A65.
(No compatibility issues with SLT)

There are a lot of similarities with the 2 lenses as far as image quality goes, both are sharp and both have beautiful color and bokeh.

I would say the Tokina actually has better colors, I have used both primarily for portraits of my kids and both produce stunning images.

I now have to tricky decision of which to keep, the Tokina has slightly better colors but the Minolta has the more responsive AF, I found the Tokina struggled at times and hunts a little while shooting indoors, no issues at all in good light but worth bearing in mind if you are intending to use in low light.

I used the Minolta lens hood with this one and had no issues with flare, the Minolta hood fits very well so good to know if you find a copy without a hood.

Highly recommended, the Tokina lenses seem to be overlooked for some reason so these can usually be found at a good price, totally recommended!