Tokina 28-70mm F2.6-2.8 AT-X 270 PRO AF A-mount lens review by wetapunga

price paid:NZ 500 (Used)
positive:Bright aperture
negative:Sharpness
Weight
comment:I wanted to like this lens. It is an engineering delight. The build is as many have pointed out, amazing. It focuses swiftly and the bright aperture with large manual focus ring makes it a joy to use.

While I have ranked the colour as 4, this is a little harsh. Nonetheless, it lies between the insipid colours of the older generation Sigma lenses, and the magical colours of the Minolta.

Some distortion occurs at the wide and long end. But that is a common trait of zoom lenses of this ilk. So again, not something that should bother anyone really.

Nonetheless, I ended up unhappy with this lens for two reasons. First, the weight. That's a peculiarity of me doing a fair bit of traveling and liking a lens in this range to weigh less. That won't be a consideration for all.

Where I think it fell down, was on the promised sharpness. Sure, I appreciate it isn't as sharp wide open and needs to be stopped down 1 or 2 times. So the 4 score reflects that consideration. And I appreciate it isn't as 'contrasty' as modern lenses like the Carl-Zeiss set. Again, a bit of boosting there in processing can alleviate that.

The problem really is its sharpness, even when you do the corrections, isn't on par with what a '5' merits. In optimal conditions, it works. No complaints. But when conditions start to get duller its performance just drops faster than I expect a sharp lens to do. If it was sharper wide open, I'd give it a 4.5.

I could see it being useful for users who have a lot more control over lighting. But I think I'm more of a prime guy.