Tokina 28-70mm F2.6-2.8 AT-X 270 PRO AF A-mount lens review by marathonianbull

---
(also)
Sony 50mm f/1.4, 50mm f/2.8 M
Minolta 50mm f/1.7, 70-210mm f/4

price paid:800 CAD (Like New)
positive:A HUGELY POSITIVE SURPRISE! Sharpness to the roof, as good if not better than any Minolta/Sony prime *AND* NOT "too soft wide open"; rich colors, somewhat similar to those of the 16-105mm (a lens with warm saturated colors, which almost put to shame the neutral tones of its sibling the Sony CZ 16-80mm); compared to these newer zooms, the classic Tokina AT-X 270 PRO F2.6-2.8 is faster & more luminous; my copy is also quite reliable AF wise, even in harsher dim conditions (given a little help from ISO 400+); and, indeed, it is sturdy.. like a tank; I do enjoy using its subtle Manual / Automatic Focus clutch, for it is easy to operate; in fact, the whole experience is so much FUN thanks to an overall PRO feeling & some gorgeous results!!!
negative:Heavier than the Minolta Beercan (I do not mind at all to carry such a legendary ANGENIEUX DESIGN in my hands at last, for such a small price!) *NOTE: Flare control isn't worse than with newer lenses.
comment:*** Please don't get confused here: we're talking about the original Pro version, which is the most sought after by those in the know as being the only Tokina Pro lens based on the legendary Angenieux optical formula (can easily be recognized by its weird short screw-on hood; see pictures and discussion for differentiation at: http://nikonglass.blogspot.com/2009/11/tokina-at-x-pro-28-70mm-f26-28.html ). ***

On my Sony A700, this rather rare TOKINA AT-X 270 PRO "1" AF 28-70 F2.6-2.8 has quickly become my all-time favourite Alpha-mount lens as an enthusiast photographer. FYI, my second pick in this lower price range would be the Minolta/Sony 100mm F2.8 macro, closely followed in thrid by the fast Minolta/Sony 50mm F1.4. I won't compare it yet to Sony's renowned flagship products, namely the SONY G or Carl Zeiss lenses, but let's just say that my craving for a pricey Zeiss zoom has 'almost' vanished...