Tokina 28-70mm F3.5-4.5 SD AF A-mount lens reviews

reviewer#11441 date: Nov-7-2013
compared to:Sony 18-55 f3.5-5.6 sam
Minolta 24-80 f4-5.6
price paid:$45
positive:Lightweight, build quality, sharpness, fast AF, pretty good in low light.
negative:Macro really isn't Macro. Limited focal range.
comment:Love this lens. Quick AF and very nice sharpness, I was lucky to find this lens on EBay and at a great price, seeing I had a hard time finding this lens. My a57 and this lens are a great match. Sure, there's always a bad lens in a batch from time to time, but the lens I bought is a gem. If I had any issue with this lens it would be limited focal range and minimum focal range. And to be honest, the Macro is kind of useless.

I shoot convention photography as a hobby and the focal range is perfect but if this lens went from 28-90, this lens would be a near perfect walk around lens. Regardless, the lens does exactly what I want it to do. If you can find one with clean glass and at a good price, buy one.
reviewer#11276 date: Jul-29-2013
compared to:18-55 DT SAM 3.5-5.6
positive:Quiet AF, Metal Body, Quick AF
negative:Color, Sharpness, Macro
comment:Only picked up this lens because it was a combo deal off
Ebay that included the Tokina 70-210 sd. Of the two this is the better functioning lens, my 70-210 had some internal problems with the focusing ring and had to be done manually or else a terrible grinding sound could be heard/felt.

As for the 28-70 it is built pretty solid, being all metal. The focusing is fast and pretty quiet for an older lens. As with the 70-210, manual focus can be difficult due to a very small focusing ring. Upon receiving it I was hopeful for the macro, or rather close focus ability. I was disappointed.

AF does not work in macro mode, needing my A37 to be switched into MF in order to rotate the focusing ring. I could get in closer with my 18-55 SAM. Though It is an unfair comparison of this lens "macro" to the 18-55, and It might be more comparable to another macro of similar range.

When comparing this to the 18-55 at 28mm and 50mm, at f5.6, the SAM had cleaner pictures when zoomed in at a 1:1 ratio. The difference in color was more noticeable than sharpness, but the SAM looked better in both categories.

When I tried to test f3.5 at 28mm the SAM couldn't do it, had to be changed to 20mm to use f3.5. At 28mm and f10 the SAM still looked better.

Sadly the range of this lens will not be needed, despite being a good looking lens with pretty good performance. I did not correctly rate on distortion or flare but will update my rating when I test them.
reviewer#9249 date: Jul-22-2011
compared to:Min AF 28-85mm Macro
MIN50F17
KM AF 17-35mm f/2.8-4 (D)
Tamron AF 28-75 f/2.8 XR Di LD Asp IF
Minolta AF 35-70mm F4 Macro
price paid:€50.00
positive:Build Quality
Quick AF
Nice colors & bokeh
Focus and zoom rings are well balanced
Excellent IQ when stopped down
Close Focus Capability (Macro)
negative:No lens hood or shield
comment:This is a very well constructed metal lens which is solidly built, though responsive and produces well above average images at it's standard aperture settings. Stop-it down a little and those images go from average to very good/excellent in terms of sharpness and IQ.

The 'macro' if you can call it that is actually a 'close focus' function that is locked into place and has a ratio of 1:5 from a minimum distance of 40cm. Better than nothing maybe, but if you're into true 'macro', buy a dedicated 1:1 lens.

The lens is pretty rare, and thereby totally underrated (look at the Dyxum owner reviews . . . 2), but that said, it's very versatile for a lens of it's size and focal range. I happen to have an exeptionally nice example of it, and it's a darned nice bit of kit that 'could' be used as an alternative to the kit lens on a full frame body. The nearest compatitble Minolta lens I can think of is the AF 35-70mm F4 Macro in terms of size, weight, specification and build.

It appears that there are not many of these around, but it does punch well above it's weight, and although it's not going to be on top of anyones 'must have' lens list, but if you do find one, try it out as I think you'll be pleasantly surprised what this little pocket rocket can do. An excellent bit of kit.
reviewer#5369 date: May-11-2009
compared to:Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8
Minolta 35-70mm f4
positive:Build, sharpness, Macro function
negative:Focus ring
comment:The previous reviewer's lens may have a focus problem. My lens is sharp stopped down a little bit. Good contrast, color and great build (as most of Tokina lenses). A metal lens which is similar to the mini Beercan 35-70mm F4 with Macro capability (close focus).

Tokina SD means super- low dispersion to eliminate chromatic aberration but I haven't tested this lens CA characteristic yet.