Tokina 28-80mm F2.8 AT-X 280 AF PRO A-mount lens review by psdigital

reviewer#7427 date: May-11-2010
compared to:Sigma 24-70
price paid:315.00 USD (used)
positive:Built very well, Looks professional, Easy to manual focus, Very sharp when stopped down, Over all a great lens for the price.
negative:Soft at 2.8, CA at 2.8
comment:I love the way this lens is built and looks on the camera. It focuses very fast to me but I have never owned a Zeiss to compare. I haven't had any issues with focus. It actually works better than the Sigma 24-70. The lens is a little heavy when you carry it around for a while. It is a very sharp lens at all f stops except 2.8. At 2.8 it is soft and gives your photos a dreamy effect. It's like you put a soft focus filter on it. But if you stop down, WHOA! It is razor sharp! It controls flare and CA's pretty well. I've only noticed it has a little at f/2.8. For the price I paid, it is a great lens. I will be using it on my a700 most of the time. I give it a 9 out of 10! It would be a 10 if it didn't have soft focus at 2.8. It also has a nice petal lens hood that allows you to put the lens cap on the lens while it is in place. I recommend it!