Tokina 300mm F2.8 AT-X 300 AF PRO A-mount lens reviews

reviewer#34755 date: Jan-13-2017
compared to:Minolta 80-200 f2.8 HS APO. Zeiss 85mm f1.4. Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 APO HSM. Minolta 600mm F4.0 APO HS. Zeiss 135mm f1.8. Sony 70-200mm f2.8 G SSM.
price paid:£750.00
positive:It's not white, it's built like a tank, It focuses accurately and is tack sharp and produces great colours and contrast with good micro contrast. Quiet for a driven AF lens.
negative:Heavy, but what 300mm f2.8 lens isn't? Purple fringing noticeable towards frame edges at smaller apertures.
comment:I use this lens for stage work. i.e. concerts, theater and Gigs. At this the lens truly excels. Excellent value lens that continues to surprise with it's sharpness and detail.
This lens is also remarkably quiet for a mechanical AF lens. It puts my Zeiss 85mm f1.4 to shame in this respect.

UPDATE. I have recently tested this lens with the A99ii and OMG it continues to blow me away. I tested it both indoor and outdoor situations, close and distant subjects. I was left grinning from ear to ear. Many older lenses just cannot keep up with new super resolution sensors. This one does and it does it with ease.
reviewer#9275 date: Jul-28-2011
compared to:Sigma 70-200mm f2.8
Sigma 600mm f8
price paid:900.00 Canadian used
positive:This lens is really sharp, I was sorprise how sharp it is, focus fast and is build like a tank. For the price is a great lens.
negative:I find it a bit heaby but not much.
comment:I love this lens has a great bokeh and the thing that I like the most about this lens is that is really sharp, that is great when you try to take photos of birds.
reviewer#7443 date: May-19-2010
positive:Very rugged, came with a 112mm front filter as standard, SHARP from f2.8, Very fast to focus. Wierd MF/AF ring. HUGE hood. Surprisingly light for a 300/2.8
Great tripod mount, smooth with detends at 90 degree intervals.
negative:Wierd MF/AF ring.
Can produce some CA's although it doesn't happen very often.
Hood when reversed covers tripod mount. Non-removeable tripod mount.
comment:A rare beast these days, but light, very fast to focus and very sharp.
If you can live with the inherant downsides of a 300/2.8 (its huge and heavy!) then this is a great option.
I'd criticise the MFD, but unless you were planning on chasing insects its not an issue... at the MFD with APS-C a squirel fills the frame... so theres not much point in getting closer!
The MF/AF ring as actually a clutch, that pushes forward so it doesnt move when AF'ing. When pulled back it moves when AF'ing and can be used for MF. AF is accurate enough that I just leave it in the forward position though, not found the need to MF.

If it wasn't for the fact that I want something much lighter this would be a permanent fixture in my lineup.

Only a 4 for distortion because of the CA's... only had one picture where this was noticable though. Seagull against a dark background in very bright sunlight... he glowed! Fixable in PP, but something to be aware of.
reviewer#4287 date: Oct-25-2008
compared to:200/2.8
positive:-Sharp lens
-Nice focus ring
-Good build quality
-Colour reproduction is nice
-The black finish is good
-Quick focus
-Bokeh is usually very good
-Love the case it comes with, just adds that quality factor
negative:-Difficult to get sharp shots with wide apertures (sharp focus, that is)
-CA control isn't terrific, but still not bad
comment:I've used this lens for many months now (9? 10?) and I've taken some shots I'm quite proud of with it. The lens just has a quality about it that seems to allow me to come away with good shots. Strange really. Everytime I doubt it, it puts me straight!

I've tracked big and small birds in flight with it on the A700, even with a Kenko 1.4 DG TC the focus doesnt seem impaired.

The way I use it is by engaging the focus ring and keeping it on Continuous AF. I then tap the AF/MF button with my thumb and pre-focus to where I think my subject will enter the scene - works brilliantly.

Sometimes, CA (chromatic aberation) can be a problem, but this is only in VERY high contrast scenes and when using wide apertures. Something software can take care of usually.

Check the sample photos, I have some old ones posted in there. May update it soon.

I don't think you can go wrong with this lens, though they are incredibly hard to find in our mount, i would definately recommend one. The lightest 300/2.8 out there and works great with a 1.4 TC (though I don't have a 2.0 TC to try). Also used it with the A100 & 7D and focus was both very good with them (using the above method).
reviewer#1329 date: Oct-17-2006
compared to:M/AF 300/2.8 Apo
price paid:EUR1200 (2nd h)
positive:Sharp-sharp-sharp
Exq. colours
AF is OK on a700
Price ( comp. to M/AF 300/2.8 )
negative:Letargic AF on D7D ( comp. to HS/SSM )
Hunts in low light
No eyelets for lens strap
comment:Built like a tank, wieghs roughly the same. Impossible to operate hand held. Lens hood not possible to fit reversed ( = store position ) with quick release plate fitted. Lens hood not long enough to fight flare shooting towards the sun. I've prolonged the shade with a home made paper tube lined with black velvet. Used with Kenko Pro300DG 1.4xTC with amazing results, 2xTC is not up to the same standard and must be considered "last resort". Gives 459, 643 & 919 mm ( eq. ) on D7D & TC's. Good value for money. Surfaces NIB from time to time.
reviewer#17 date: Nov-28-2004
compared to:f.i. 200/2.8 G
positive:Built like a tank, extremely sharp, fast AF in most conditions, very good color reproduction
negative:Slow AF on the 7D in low light conditions
comment:When it entered the market, it was the lightest 300mm/F2.8. It still is one of the lightest (new Minolta is about the same). That, combined with the build and image quality, and it's low price make this lens a very good choice.
Combine it with either the Sigma 1.4X APO TC or the 2X APO TC, and you still get very good to good results, although the AF speed will suffer, esp. with the 2X TC.