Tokina 80-400mm F4.5-5.6 AT-X 840 AF-II A-mount lens review by redmalloc

positive:Reasonable Sharpness
Range
negative:Heavy
CA
comment:Edited my review after some more experience.

My shooting style doesn't rely on telephoto lenses much, but I have been trying to do more with them recently.

This lens came to me in like new condition, but used. The build is excellent and this makes it reasonably heavy. When shooting at 400mm I have a hard time keeping it stable. It has a very nice soft case and a big hood.

The zoom lock is ok for me, It is a funny tiny switch on this reasonably big lens though. Mine has very little zoom creep, but the zoom lock is still a nice convenience when carrying it around.

As far as sharpness goes, I think mine is reasonable even wide open.

VS the Minolta 100-300APO: I'd say the sharpness wide open at 300mm is about the same. The APO is maybe slightly sharper and with less CA.

400mm doesn't lose so much sharpness then at 300mm but does adds even more CA which leads to a noticeably worse image quality. Looking very critically in high contrast areas it looks almost like a color separated double image.

Auto focus is not fast, but it also isn't bad. I have not directly compared, but it seems faster than the beercan.

Overall I am pleased with this lens and will probably keep it. Its build, range are its best points. Image quality is acceptable imho. I look forward to shooting more with it.