Zeiss 12mm F2.8 Touit E-mount lens reviews

reviewer#29631 date: Jul-18-2016
compared to:Samyang F/2.8 14mm (A)
Tamron SP F/2.8 15-30mm (A)
Sony F/2.8 16mm (E) w/ 0.75x converter
Minolta AF F/2.8 20mm (A)
Carl Zeiss Distagon ZF F/2.8 21mm (A)
price paid:Euro 450 (used)
positive:- sharp - even at the corners wide open
- typical Zeiss micro-contrast
- compact, light-weight, aesthethic design
- accepts 67mm filters
- very resistant to flare, almost no CAs
- only slight and easily removable barrel distortion.
negative:- with the hood on it's no longer really compact.
comment:Due to my positive experience with the 32mm Touit lens I decided to forego the Sony 10-18mm UWA zoom and try to get the 12mm Touit. The lens is a real marvel - providing typical Zeiss qualities as sharpness, micro-contrast, very good colors and - for such an UWA lens - quite nice bokeh in a very small and neat package, and adding AF to it (which is quick and responsive when used on a Sony A6000). The haptic qualities are outstanding - although it's different from the "heavy metal" feeling of my CZ 21mm Distagon. It's just fun to use - e.g. for architectural photography in big cities. It's definitely a keeper for me!
Edit: The plastic faceplate (where the type of the lens - Distagon - focal length and max. F-stop are printed on) is a weak point of the construction. It also holds the lens hood. Only a slight knock on the lens hood had the consequence that the whole faceplate came off. Had to send it in. That's the reason why I changed my build rating.
reviewer#24471 date: Jan-16-2016
compared to:Sony E 10-18mm f4 OSS.
price paid:NOK 6000 (used)
positive:Very sharp, well built, nice design.
negative:Autofocus hunts. It goes back and forth until it hits sharp focus.
comment:This lens is sharp, all the way into the corners. The reason I sold mine was the slow autofocus. This could be corrected by a firmware update, but I would have to send the lens abroad to Zeiss in Germany. I have updated firmware on the Sony Zeiss 24mm f1.8 myself, so I think it's a design flaw that you cannot perform this yourself
reviewer#12079 date: Jan-5-2015
compared to:Sigma 12-24, Sigma 8-16, Tamron 10-24, Sigma 10-20
price paid:$600
positive:Sharp, compact, light weight, no visible/optical flaws I can find, gorgeous styling with matching hood
negative:Focus and aperture rings are hard to find by feel
comment:Hands down, the best ultra wide I've ever used. Very sharp across the entire frame. Today I shot distant trees with every bare branch as sharp as can be. Distortion is automatically corrected by my Fuji X-Pro1. I might never have tried this class of lens, but last year's 50% sale on this and the Touit 32/1.8 drew me into the Fuji system. Of all the others, only the Sigma 8-16 could give it competition in the IQ department, but this is the one I'd rather carry around all day.
reviewer#11624 date: Jan-20-2014
compared to:nikon 12-24, Tokina 11-16, sigma 8-16, CZ16-35 f2.8 on ff, Samyang 14mm on aps-c
price paid:€950 new
positive:I have used more aps-c wide angles, mostly zooms, until now. this lens beats them all. It is a very reliable performer. no funny color problems with high contrast in corners, just crisp performance over most of the image (the whole image at f5.6-8). this lens is as well behaved as the 16-35 2.8 on full frame, but sharper.
I have made great 20"x30" prints from this lens, used wide open. the corners are a bit softer then, but in print this is much less of a problem compared to looking at 100% on a screen.
print from shots at f5.6-f8 look perfect. one of the best lenses I have, independent of the fl.
negative:below f5.6 the bokeh can be a bit busy.
comment:this lens makes I am leaving my a99 at home and are using my nex-7 again.
reviewer#11412 date: Oct-31-2013
compared to:I never used this wide of a lens before this.
price paid:1250.00
positive:Center sharpness at 2.8 is already great and does get a slight better as you get to f/4. Color is perfect to my eyes.
negative:Corner sharpness is lower than center, but sharpens nicely at f/4 and above. While the build quality is very good, it doesn't warrant a 5 like a heavy all metal lens. For NEX, the lighter weight is more important, so I find the build quality perfect.
comment:While I found this lens to be superb, I decided I could not justify keeping it due to the infrequency that I would be using it here in the metro Atlanta area. If I lived out west or had the opportunity for more travel, I would kept it and enjoyed many years of use with it. Anything under 16mm on APS-C is overkill for me and my shooting style