Zeiss 35mm F2 Loxia Biogon T* E-mount lens reviews

price paid:550 euro
positive:Colours & contrast
Small form-factor
No distortion

negative:The lens it self is build like a tank. Like other users mentioned the lenshood clicks in well, but not very secure. The same for the hood of my Loxia21 (not so on my Loxia50)
comment:Colour, contrast and rendering are wonderful. I used the Loxia50 for a few years and still own the Loxia21, so knew what to expect for build and handling. Manual focus doesn't bother me, actualy like it for it slows me down and makes me think more about compostion. You don't realy know how smooth the lens focus&aperture rings feels/handles untill you try it yourself.
It is compact without being too small, perfect fit&balance on the A7-bodies for it has some weight to it.
In short: Not super sharp wide open corner to corner (centre is very decent!), no silky-smooth bokeh, no blazing AF. Yes it will last a life time, yes stopped down a bit is it very sharp corner to corner, yes it's contrast in back-lit situation is just great, yes I love its (typical) sunstars, yes it is free from distortion.
If the retail price is worth it over some pretty good other options/competition that cost about same, maybe not....... If you find it for a decent price secondhand, and like compact over bulk, highly recommended.

ps.
The Voigtlander 1.7/35 is my most used lens over the last 5 years on my trusty A7s. After buying the A7iii last year I was never pleased with the results of this M-mount lens on the new camera. Info in the internet tells me it could be that the filter-stack of the A7iii is different as on the A7s (and needs a extra screw-in, homemade, optic to adjust this).
So, in search of a new favorite 35mm on the A7iii I tried the hyped 1.2/40 Voigtlander for half a year, not sure why, but just did not do it for me and sold it. Looked hard at & tried the FE Distagon 1.4/35, Samyang FE1.4/35, & all time classic Contax C/Y 1.4/35 but just to big&heavy lenses for my liking.
The Loxia2/35 has been on my wish-list, but I found it somewhat pricey for a f/2 lens. Last week I found a good deal on a 2nd-hand copy (like new) and now think I should have got it earlier (-;
reviewer#43004 date: Feb-6-2018
compared to:Sigma 1.4/35 Art, Flektogon 2.8/35
price paid:$ 1299 US
positive:Image quality, Color, absence of distortion, build, etc.
negative:Looseness of the hood, lens cap
comment:Having read several reviews first I was reluctant to buy it, then hesitated a bit and upon recommendation of a photographer friend I made the purchase.
First impression: beautiful, sexy (oh yes), smooth on rotating the focus and/or aperture rings. As a former film user with manual SLRs using a manual focus lens is a joy and brings lots of great memories.
First images: colors and images pop.
There are no distortions so a wonderful lens for interior and architectural shots.
2 things that should be fixed: the lens hood can loosen easily and drop. As for the lens cap... not on par with Zeiss name.
Overall it's a wonderful lens and a must have (but definitely not for AF shooters).
For those who like focus stacking this lens is a right choice.
Did I make a right choice paying that much? Definitely YES.
reviewer#37851 date: May-6-2017
compared to:CZ 16-70/f4 emount; A-mount CZ24-70/f2.8
price paid:1000 usd (demo)
positive:Sharpness, color, build quality, purely manual lens
negative:None
comment:The first time I worked this lens brought back memories of my first SLR experience with a manual 50mm Minolta lens. The build quality is excellent and I am sure it will last a lifetime. I feel it's capabilities are not fully realized on a APS-C camera, but the image quality certainly shines with the sensor. Highly recommended
reviewer#23459 date: Dec-28-2015
compared to:35mm lengths of Zony 16-35/4 and 24-70/4, Zeiss-Contax-N 24-85.
price paid:USD1299, new
positive:Sharpness, Zeiss presence and color, light weight, EXCELLENT manual focusing, high build quality (solidness)
negative:None.
comment:This lens is simply delightful. It's light, solid, a pleasure to focus. Its images have the Zeiss 'pop'. I bought the Loxia 50, too, and Zeiss was smart enough to give them the same filter size. :-)
reviewer#17341 date: Aug-27-2015
compared to:Canon 35/1,8 LTM and Summicron 35/2 I type
price paid:1300 EUR
positive:Very impressive IQ and bokeh.
negative:A little hard to mount when new, caused by the blue rim around the bayonet. After hours of usage now it's better.
comment:A beautiful lens. As I focus, holding the shutter button, the center area of the viewfinder shows a detailed magnification, so focusing is very fast and simple. The dimensions are perfect, neither tiny as the 35/2,8 nor huge as the 35/1,4.
Images are neat and bokeh is beautiful. Stopping a little (3,5 and so on) the borders are perfect. Beautiful 1/3 click stops. The hood is an advantage: no flare at all.