Zeiss 40mm F2 CF Batis E-mount lens review by saxbike

reviewer#45642 date: Feb-9-2021
compared to:Sony/Zeiss 35mm f2.8
price paid:$850 USD (used)
positive:Excellent sharpness
Outstanding color rendition
Superb micro-contrast
Very useful close focusing capability
Very fast and accurate AF
Relatively fast f2
67mm filter size matching other Batis lenses
Distance display
negative:Very little negative to say....
Occasional front focus with eye AF
Manual focusing has somewhat mushy feel (but with such accurate AF, I rarely feel the need to go manual)
comment:Currently my most used lens. I do love the 40mm FOV. It is an extremely sharp lens (better than the Sony/Zeiss 35mm f2.8) with excellent color and micro-contrast—images have the nice Zeiss pop. I wish it was a bit smaller but it balances nicely on my a7Rii and even works nicely on the a6500. I frequently use this camera for multi-image panoramas. I set the camera in portrait mode and do three to six vertical shots that I then stitch together. I have a gimbal on the tripod and took the time to find the nodal point of the lens. Makes a huge difference with panos. The FOV with this lens is perfect for foreground and sky balance in the portrait position. Very pleased with this lens despite the early criticisms for it stopping down in close focus and the issue with eye AF. Both were improved with the firmware update. I have no problem with the stopping down because the depth of field gets very shallow up close. The eye AF is not 100% but probably closer to 90% accuracy rate. Tracking focus is fine, however.