Zeiss 40mm F2 CF Batis E-mount lens reviews

reviewer#44227 date: Feb-12-2019
compared to:16-35mm GM. Zeiss 55mm. Zeiss 35mm. FE 85mm. 70-200mm GM. Sigma 135mm f1.8
price paid:£910.00
positive:As sharp as the Zeiss 55mm, maybe even sharper if that is possible. Lovely formfactor. Weather sealed.
negative:Cheap plastic hood that as with all Batis hoods, does not properly match the blackness of the lens body. Poor front lens cap.
comment:The best autofocusing lens to date from Zeiss for the Sony FE system. Worth every penny, but I do expect a metal hood at this price!
reviewer#44221 date: Jan-30-2019
compared to:Can't compare this with any lens I have. 40mm is a very unusual focal length.
price paid:1299 USD New
positive:40mm focal length! My first camera was an Olympus Trip 35 w/40mm lens and I used it for years. Love this focal length!
IQ is brilliant with the 24Mp A7III. Photos have a certain pop. Can't even imagagine how photos with the 42 Mpx A73 look!
I love the rendering of this lens. Close focusing to about 9 inches. This is a very versatile prime lens.
Size and weight not too big or heavy.
To be clear, I have not done any scientific testing.
Focus is quite and quick
negative:None! There are complaints that this lens stops down with close focusing. Zeiss says it will stop down by one stop when close focusing, and that they will address this with a firmware update. I have not noticed any issues, but haven't really done testing to confirm this one way or the other.
Of course it is expensive for a 40mm f2 lens.
comment:Love this lens so far! ATM, it is my favorite prime lens, and I have a few excellent lenses. But of course this is highly a personal and subjective matter I would suggest trying this lens first. You may not feel the same way I do about this very versatile lens. See my sample photos on the sample page. I'll post more as I continue to using it.