Zeiss 40mm F2 CF Batis E-mount lens reviews

reviewer#44433 date: Nov-29-2019
compared to:24-70 Sony-Zeiss f4.
price paid:1340 EUR
positive:Everything, sharpness is phenomenal and so are the colors, microcontrast, pop. Close-up works great and is equally of high quality.
negative:Nothing really
comment:The zoom is great too but there will be situations where this 40mm will probably replace it as walk around lens. The Batis line exhausts superlatives and they are just so beautiful as objects too.
reviewer#44227 date: Feb-12-2019
compared to:Sony E 10-18mm. Voigtlander FE 15mm. Batis 18mm. Batis 25mm. Zeiss 16-35mm f4. 16-35mm GM. Sony FE 28mm. Zeiss FE 35mm. Batis 40mm. Samyang FE AF 45mm. Sony FE 50mm. Sony FE 50mm macro. Zeiss FE 55. Sony FE 85. Sigma A FE 135mm. Sony 70-200 GM. Sony 100-400mm GM.
price paid:£910.00
positive:As sharp as the Zeiss 55mm, maybe even sharper if that is possible. Lovely formfactor. Weather sealed.
negative:Cheap plastic hood that as with all Batis hoods, does not properly match the blackness of the lens body. Poor front lens cap.
comment:The best autofocusing lens to date from Zeiss for the Sony FE system. Worth every penny, it is the sharpest Zeiss lens with a FE mount, but I do expect a metal hood at this price!
reviewer#44221 date: Jan-30-2019
compared to:Can't compare this with any lens I have. 40mm is a very unusual focal length.
price paid:1299 USD New
positive:40mm focal length! My first camera was an Olympus Trip 35 w/40mm lens and I used it for years. Love this focal length!
IQ is brilliant with the 24Mp A7III. Photos have a certain pop. Can't even imagagine how photos with the 42 Mpx A73 look!
I love the rendering of this lens. Close focusing to about 9 inches. This is a very versatile prime lens.
Size and weight not too big or heavy.
To be clear, I have not done any scientific testing.
Focus is quite and quick
negative:None! There are complaints that this lens stops down with close focusing. Zeiss says it will stop down by one stop when close focusing, and that they will address this with a firmware update. I have not noticed any issues, but haven't really done testing to confirm this one way or the other.
Of course it is expensive for a 40mm f2 lens.
comment:Love this lens so far! ATM, it is my favorite prime lens, and I have a few excellent lenses. But of course this is highly a personal and subjective matter I would suggest trying this lens first. You may not feel the same way I do about this very versatile lens. See my sample photos on the sample page. I'll post more as I continue to using it.