Zenit Zenitar 16mm F2.8 MC Fisheye A-mount lens review by Turerkan
|Turerkan#2130 date: Apr-9-2007|
flare control: 5
|ownership:||I own this lens|
|compared to:||kit lens|
|price paid:||135 USD (new)|
|positive:||- sharp below F5.6, good working aperture for a super wide|
- built like a tank
- really wide!
- not so bendy on APS-C
- manual focus is not an issue because of deep DOF, you can set it to infinity and forget
- very good with flare when stopped down
|negative:||- noticably soft at F2.8|
- gives random underexposure around 1 or 1.5 stops
- mount has slight play
- mine came without rear cap
- lens stops down as you rotate the aperture ring, giving a dark viewfinder, this turned out to be a non issue though
- special lens cap can't be replaced with generic ones
|comment:||Very small, discrete, built great and sharp at F5.6. All in a $135 package! this is a great bargain in my opinion.|
i rated distortion 5 becuase its distortion charactheristics are just as expected. barrel distortion is no fault for a fisheye.
sharpness is 3,5 for the hazy wideopen performance. Stopped down however, it resolves plenty of details, and such a wideangle is most likely to be stopped down, so practically this lens is sharp indeed.
build rating got 4 for the slight play in the lens mount, otherwise the build quality is level 5 or even beyond that. It feels like a tank!
Note: when you mount this lens, don't forget to dial in +1 stop compensation at least.
Verdict: Highly recomended!