Minolta AF 50mm F2.8 Macro A-mount lens review by joestealthmode

reviewer#11110 date: May-14-2013
compared to:85mm f/1.4 ZA
24mm f/2 SSM ZA
price paid:$150 USD (used)
positive:Sharp!!
Beautiful colors
Stands the test of time
negative:Slow motor
1-1 is dangerously close to glass
Lens extends weird
comment:Picked up a very good copy of this lens on eBay. Let me tell you, this is a very sharp lens. I was peeping pixels on a shot I took and I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

The 1-1 magnification is hard to achieve without help from a steady subject and a tripod or remote (or both). If you put a filter on the lens, you're an inch or so away from hitting the glass. It is sharp in the center wide open and once stopped to f/4 you're peeping corners if your depth of field is right.

The lens is very small, in fact, it is my smallest lens. I find it easier to hold steady than my other lenses, which is an asset with Macro work. I get decent results at 1/10s I would be nervous to shoot with my 85mm f/1.4 or even my 24mm f/2 that slow.

The colors this lenses reproduces are on par with my best color lens, which is the 24mm f/2 SSM ZA. I would venture to this lens has the edge.

The motor is slow as molasses. I have to use DMF or Manual focus with peaking on the A77/A99.

This lens is ancient. It has stood the test of time. It is good for portraits and macros. A bargain if you find one in excellent shape for under $200.