Sigma 100-300mm F4.5-6.7 DL A-mount lens review by paulofessel

reviewer#592 date: Mar-17-2006
compared to:Minolta 70-210 f:4
price paid:100 USD (Auction)
positive:- Light
- Dirt-cheap
negative:- Fragile build
- Plastic finishing (except for the bayonet)
- Slow AF
- Not the sharpest lens in the game (but you get what you pay for)
comment:Seems that today this lens is only available on black finishing - mine is golden (!) finishing.

I've got mine dirt cheap - less than US$ 100.00 from a local seller. One of its great strengths is that is a really light lens for its range, albeit a little dark (mainly in the long tele end).

OTOH, you get what you pay for: at the long tele range, the lens must be stopped down to f:11 - f:13 to get reasonable to good (but not great) results. Colors tend to be a little reddish on my copy, so before digital times I've got a 80A light blue filter to compensate it, with good results.

Remember when I said that one of the strengths of this lens was its lightness? Well, this is also one of its miseries and the cause of what bugs me most about this lens: its fragile build. Someday my copy had a 30cm (~1 ft) drop and this damaged the zoom system of the lens, so I've got it a soft case.

Overall, this is good lens if you're into your first steps on telephoto and want to know if telephoto is your cup of tea or not; however, if you're going serious into telephoto get something better a$ $oon a$ you can - in my case, I've got a 70-210 f:4 for a good price.