Minolta AF 50mm F2.8 Macro A-mount lens review by SChurchill

reviewer#8407 date: Dec-16-2010
compared to:Tamron SP 90 Macro
Sony 50mm F1.4
Minolta 50mm F1.7
positive:Sharpest lens I own, Sharper than my Tamron 90(just)
Build quality is superb.
Versatile
Full Frame
negative:No focus limiter
Manual focus ring a bit small
comment:I bought this lens because I had money burning a hole in my pocket and this turned up at the right time. Considering I already own a Tamron 90mm macro I wasn't sure I really needed it.

I'm glad I did and I have found it incredibly sharp and versatile. I have now relegated the Sony 50 1.4 to low light work only as I use the 50mm macro instead.

The build quality is superb and it saved this lens from destruction at least once since I've owned it. Within the first week of owning it, it fell out of my bag on to concrete and rolled and bounced down a steep hill for about 30 metres before I managed to catch up with it. After expecting the worst, the initial inspection showed that there was only a few flattened ridges on the focus ring and some minor scratching. Once attached to my a700 it proved to be functionally unharmed by the whole experience and with no impairment to IQ whatsoever.

I love using on both the A700 and my film bodies, especially with ADOX pan 25 film.