Tamron SP AF 24-135mm F3.5-5.6 AD Aspherical IF Macro A-mount lens reviews

price paid:Ł99
Colour
negative:Weight
72mm filters
comment:Like Nabreu I bought this lens because of the price and to reduce number of lens changes. I paid Ł99 in mint condition, I think it was new 'old stock' as it looked completely untouched in its packaging complete with warranty papers, case, and hood. The box says 'for Minolta Autofocus' not Sony. It retails in the UK for about Ł400.

Performance wise the lens is excellent, very sharp at all focal lengths and apertures (except at 135mm where it needs to be stopped down to f8). Colour rendition is very pleasing and I have not seen any CA or PF.
No distortion anf flare is very well controlled with the lens hood.

Only drawback; another set of filters.

At this price, a steal.
Sharp stoped down
Zoom lock
negative:A bit slow focusing
Fat but not big
comment:Got this lens for 2 reasons.
The range and it´s price (it´s sold new for 450€ and i got it mint by 160€)
It really is a usefull range.
The lens is sharp stoped down especially at 24~90 mm
It dosen´t focus very fast, even on the A700.
It´s a bit fat and heavy but i don´t mind espeacilly because it´s Full Frame.
reviewer#3622 date: May-24-2008
compared to:-Minolta 28-135 AF
-Other dissimilar lenses
price paid:275 USD Used
positive:-EXTREMELY sharp from 24-~90mm
-Great colors, very rich but not over-saturated
-Fairly light for the range offered
-Zoom lock (wide angle)
-Somewhat compact (short)
-Focus ring isn't awful
negative:-Softens up past 90mm, down to 4/5
-Not heavy, but pretty 'fat'
-Focus ring isn't excellent either
-A little flare and color balance problems in bright light
comment:An excellent lens for the price and range. Cheaper than current prices for the Minolta 28-135 and easily as sharp, if not sharper at the wide end. Contrast is just as good, and color/saturation is only a little behind. Not the 2+lb. monster that the Minolta lens is, and there's no zoom creep at all, the lock is just an added bonus. Nice close focusing distance, great for everyday macro work. Good speed on the wide end, but it stops down pretty quickly and I wish it only went to f/4.5. Full frame is great, hope I can put it to use on digital soon ;)

Very stellar, 9.25/10. The only serious downfall is that it softens up considerably past 90mm, but stopping up to f/8 almost completely alleviates that.
reviewer#3596 date: May-15-2008
compared to:sony 17-70
minolta 50 1.7
prior N. life;)
price paid:399new
positive:sharp, sharp
minimal distortion and flare, sturdy build,
full frame
negative:weight
comment:very nice all around lens - bought it instead of the tammy 18-250 mainly for the full frame capability (wishful thinking...) and better lab image quality - although I am not really sure this makes a difference in the pictures that I take.

like most affordable lenses seems to be thriving on sunny days - not so hot when light is scarce, but not terrible either. (I couple it with the 50mm for the evening shots anyways)

I like very much the range: it gets you close but not very close as in taking impersonal pictures from the satellite - makes the candid pictures more exciting and pushes one to exercise more photographic muscles

with the hood on, flares only when taking shots directly against the sun - only saw flare in 2 pics out of 2000. minimal distortion at 24mm when shooting buildings on narrow streets...

AF is decent but lil noisy with good light and kind of bad in the dark but the good part is that the MF is very easy and fun to use!

minor thorns: the zoom lock can get to be annoying by self locking at random and there is a little bit of creep when not using it.

overall for me, great vacation lens! recommended!
reviewer#3397 date: Mar-25-2008
compared to:Minolta 50 1.7
Minolta 24-105 D 3.5-4.5
Minolta 35-70 3.5-4.5
Sony kit lens
Cosina 100-300
price paid:150 euro (used)
positive:Built like a tank
Macro
Full frame
negative:Dust
Not a D lens
comment:This lens goes from wide angel to a decent zoom range, and also has some macro capabilities (1:3.3 at 40cm). Robust design that generates sharp images, certainly when stepped down a bit, although not as sharp as the Minolta 50mm of course. I believe that sharpness and build are comparable to its brother the Minolta 24-105D, but the Tamron has the advantage of some extra range and macro. This makes it an ideal walk-around in my opinion. The Minolta is however of D type and a little light sharper. My example has collected some inside dust particles over time, but I've heard that this is typical for this (type of) lens. Anyhow, it doesn't show on any of my pictures so that is nothing to worry about.
Overall, I can recommend this lens.
reviewer#3119 date: Dec-31-2007
compared to:Minolta 28-105
positive:Build
Sharpnes
negative:Zoom Lock
Focusing
comment:I bought this lens simply as a walk-around. I wanted a lttle extra on the wide side compared to the Konica-Minolta 28-135mm. My particular copy seems to have focusing issues when used on the Alpha 100. When it does focus it is still a little soft. The zoom lock is irritating, it is easily switched into the locked position when removing from a bag/case. The build quality is very good, this lens is not such a dust sucker as other zooms.

Overall as a walk-around this is a very useful lens for the money.
reviewer#2453 date: Jun-17-2007
compared to:Minolta 28-105 3,5/4,5
price paid:220€
positive:Focal lenght, height and building and impressive 72mm filter
negative:Slow focus
comment:I am not a professionist photographer, so I cannot add a preview like all the other but I will try to do my best. Compared to Minolta 28-105 3,5/4,5 It seem to me that Minolta is overall a little better. I think that if it had a better and faster focus it should be a perfect lens for me. Focusing in low light condition or swithing between far and close subject causes lens moving, noise and time spent waiting for focusing.
I have sold the Minolta to buy this one, but, perhaps in the future I will go back, may be on "D" version of Minolta.
Sorry for bad english.
reviewer#2392 date: May-30-2007
compared to:Sony 18-70
price paid:290 euros (new)
positive:great range
sharp
build quality
negative:a bit heavy
comment:An excellent walkaround lens with an useful zoom range.
reviewer#1643 date: Jan-12-2007
compared to:CZ 24-70
CZ 16-80
k-m 18-70 (kit)
k-m 28-75 2.8

price paid:200 Used
positive:great range
full frame for future upgrade to sony's FF :)
good color - i like tamron colors way better than sigma's
sharp, sharp, sharp
negative:significant back-focus when wide-open - i had to return it.
March 2010 - got it again and it is great!
comment:March 2010 update:
I am happy to report that lens perform beautifully on FF.
As mentioned before, it is almost as sharp as 24-70 in the centre, but with way better edges, when closed a bit.
Not Minolta colors, but close to CZ colors.
CZ is overall better but only by little, and of course you pay for SSM, build and 2.8 if these are worth for you.

January 07:
very nice lens, beautifully built, great colors, great range... BUT:
back focus was pretty bad and you really had to close the apperture to get rid of it.
I've sent it to Tamron and they didn't do anything about it - they just suggested to buy the for APS-C designed lens.
It's a pitty because I really liked this lens!
Here is the only photo that I have on my flickr account (I had a lens for about a week) from this lens; take a look at the larger sizes:
reviewer#1620 date: Jan-7-2007
price paid:330 GBP new
positive:Sharpness and flexibility for landscapes, cityscapes and 'on the go' CU's
negative:Weight
comment:On the A100 range is an impressive 35 - 200mm. It is sturdy, well built and heavy. Zooming and manual focus are as smooth now as when bought six years ago. Focus speed is not rapid - at full length it hunts when trying to focus on closer objects and it is noisy. This lens was originally used as a jack-of-all-trades on my Dynax 7. Now, it is even better. The AS/SSS allows the smaller format/greater range to be fully exploited - the all time super walkabout. It gives crisp shots. Warts and all this for me is a Tamron Classic - I would not like to be without it.
reviewer#1228 date: Sep-25-2006
negative:no digital coatings
a bit heavy
loud and slow focusing
manual focusing feels unpleasant
hood position is fixed, can't rotate
hunts a bit at its long end
f/2.8-4.5 would be much better
comment:I bought it because so many people were surprised by its excellent performance for the price. Having used it for a year, I agree. My complaints are mostly nitpicking. Sharpness on my copy is remarkably consistent from center to corner. Good wide open, it gets a bit sharper stopped down until just before f/8, and then it's mostly the same until it gets sloppy around f/14 or so. It seems consistent even at 135mm.
Not quite up to the 28-75mm 2.8, but I only compared them briefly. I think it performs better in some situations than others. Maybe it's the lack of digital coatings. It's not as contrasty as I would like, but that's probably a good thing; it'll capture more details this way.
Other than getting the digital treatment and a few more mm at the wide end, I wouldn't ask for anything more at this price point.
reviewer#1140 date: Aug-29-2006
compared to:Minolta 28-135 f4-4.5
Tamron 28-75 f2.8
positive:- Great all around zoom range
- Good Macro feature if you don't have a dedicated macro lens
- Somewhat compact for the zoom range
- zoom lock is nice
negative:- not as sharp as my Minolta 28-135 or Tam 28-75 2.8
comment:Overall this is a great little lens for a walk around utility zoom. It’s just wide enough to be more useful than the typical 28-xx zooms and the macro function helps to make it a nice do-it-all lens. Currently I have this lens, the Minolta 28-135 f4-4.5 and a Tamron 28-75 f2.8. I need to get rid of either this lens or the Minolta 28-135 and it really is a tough call. This lens will focus MUCH closer, is a little more compact, has slightly more wide angle and has the nifty zoom lock on it. The Minolta 28-135 is however sharper than this lens, but only by a small margin when viewed at 100%. However the Minolta lens is also a little faster and a great lens in it’s own way. I rated it at 3.5 for sharpness only because my 28-135 is not as sharp as my Tam 28-75, and this lens is in third place of the three. This lens does feel pretty good when shooting and seems to have good construction for a zoom of this type. It has good weight to it and produces very nice shots in a good amount of situations. Some day I’ll decide which to keep…
reviewer#1131 date: Aug-29-2006
positive:Zoom lock for when stored in bag
Awesome zoom range
negative:Loses wide abilities on digital bodies with crop factor (not lens' fault)
comment:Originally bought with my Maxxum 9, since I didn't like the feel of the minolta lenses at the time with the Vertical Grip. Formely retained even on my Alpha 100 as my walkaround lens. Great zoom range, and dimension of this lens are great.

As my walkaround lens, however, it has been replaced by my KM 28-75/2.8 (D).
reviewer#963 date: Jul-1-2006
compared to:Minolta AF 35-200 4.5-6.3 Zoom xi;
positive:- Build quality
- Colors
- Very usable zoom range
negative:- Hunt a lot in low light
comment:I love this lens for its zoom coverage. If I go for travelling, I just bought only this lens.
reviewer#954 date: Jun-29-2006
compared to:28-75 / 100 -300 APO / primes
positive:good range, pretty sharp for a zoom
negative:AF hunting
comment:My first decent zoom, after using the 28-80 kit lens I thought this can't be the reason for using SLR camera's, so I bought this lens to replace it and suddenly my pictures looked a lot better from a sharpness/colours perspective. Sold it because when I bought my 7D it became a 36-200
reviewer#756 date: May-6-2006
compared to:Sigma 24-135mm, kit lens
positive:- AF is fast enough (but kit lens' AF is much much faster)
- build quality
- range
- results are pleasing but see below
negative:- very expensive
- heavy
- AF could be faster
- sharpness is ok in real world but cheaper Sigma 24-135mm beats this Tamron (and remember that Sigma is a faster lens, too)
- hard to rotate the zoom ring
- not D lens
- not digital only lens: 72 mm filters required
comment:As with my Sigma 24-135mm review flare and ditortions were not tested so my rating is just 3: may be less, may be more. But I just judged and tested real picture quality: did I like the results or not. And well, surprise: Sigma 24-135 performs better! Tamron's AF is faster, build quality better but picture quality, even wide open, is not on pair with Sigma, it is on pair if not worse than kit lens (!!!) Constant BF issues. On test charts the gap between Tamron and Sigma is very visible, in real world not much but it's hard to forget that Sigma, being faster and cheaper, still can deliver better quality
reviewer#653 date: Apr-2-2006
compared to:KM 28-75 F2.8 Tokina 100-300 F4
positive:Zoom range, locking mechanism, 72mm filter, quality feel, macro capability
negative:72mm filter, bit heavy, soft at wider aperture, noisy when AF, hunts in low light
comment:This was my first lens because I couldn't afford all the lenses on my list so I figured i'd start w/ my walk around lens. Overall I have no complaints. I have won acouple of awards w/ this lens. I wish it was a bit sharper at wider apertures and it is a bit heavy by itself. Also, it hunts in low light situations. It is not "D" compatible and figure if it was it would be more compatible w/ the 7D
reviewer#533 date: Feb-24-2006
compared to:none
positive:Fast, accurate focus, performs well in low light. Has enough weight. Barrel can be locked.
negative:Barrel clicks-clacks a little when mounted, though no reduction in performance.
comment:Features are excellent. Range covers 80 per cent of all shots I take. Fast, responsive, accurate. Strongly built, though the "swing" of the barrel is a little clic-clacking when mounted. Good, solid build otherwise. Enough weight. Lenses that are too light are just blown away by the solidity of this piece of glass.
reviewer#527 date: Feb-20-2006
compared to:Minolta AF 24-105mm D
positive:Build quality
Sharpness, color and contrast
Zoom range
negative:A little bit heavy
Not a D lens
comment:An excellent walkaround lens with an useful zoom range. Feels very solid and well built, and the image quality is excellent. Much better than the Minolta 24-105 D in my opinion, specially because of its build quality.
reviewer#409 date: Jan-15-2006
compared to:Minolta 18-70 kit
Sigma 18-50 F2.8
Minolta 100-300 APO
Zoom Range
comment:I bought this lens for its versatile zoom range. It has lived up to expectations. The sigma 18-50 f2.8 is a little sharper, but not much.
reviewer#403 date: Jan-13-2006
positive:Excellent optics, colors and contrast. Sharpness is not a 5 because I only give 5 for macros!
Quasi-macro capability
Very well built.
Low price for the quality and range.
negative:Feel some "plasticity" when zooming, but not so bad.
AF could be faster.
A bit heavy.
comment:This is my walkaround lens, I use it 80% of the time. Added to the 7D ( with battery grip ) it becomes an excellent photo system, but really heavy! I usually exchange it only when needing a wider shot ( use Tokina 17/f3.5 ) or macro ( Sigma 50/2,8 ). Also, for long telephoto I use a KM 100-300 APO and KM 500/f8 mirror, but that is very seldom.
I believe I will only use another lens for that range when a decent 18-125 comes along ( not the current Sigma! )
I definitely recommend this lens!!
reviews found: 51    << 1 2