Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro A-mount lens reviews

reviews found: 46    << 1 2
reviewer#2505 date: Jul-2-2007
compared to:Minolta 24-85 3.5-4.5; jeez ... there's just no comparison; price/performance is with the Sigma.
positive:Build quality. OK. It's not a "G" lens, but frankly, it'll do just fine for the remaining 99 44/100% of us.
negative:Strange AF/M clutch mechanism, but then again, I'm just reaching. Also, stiff zoom, which seems to be a Sigma trademark.
comment:Let me start off by agreeing that I like the "bigness" of this lens.

(I can hear the cat-calls as I type ...)

But truthfully, since I do mostly weddings, the large lens has the ability to really get the attention and cooperation of people you've never met before -- especially when I slap an ND filter or polarizer on it (--$$$). Those itsy-bitsy, teeny-weeny digicams just can't compete!

... and whatever deficiencies I've encountered can usually be corrected after scanning on my Dimage SE 5400 and editing in Photoshop, anyways ...

Great tool!
Great Sharpness
Good Macro
Great Aperture
negative:Location of zoom ring
Too big for in-camera flash
comment:The end of a lens collector:

It was an experience... After I purchased my A100 kit I became a lens collector. Got a lot of them and none made me happy...

...Until I got this lens.

It will stay on the camera most of the time. (The beercan will be at hand to complement it!)

I am pleased with what I get. It gives me a good mid range. Performs great in low light and attached to my A100 it makes me look like the big guys!

Two things I don't like: The zoom ring is to close to the camera, since I have big hands it make me feel a little uncomfortable and do not enjoy the magnitude of the lens. I usuall end un moving the focussing ring that is in the right place. (bob877: got the same feeling)

The othe one is that when the lens is fully extended (24mm) the camera flash projects an ugly shadow. It is fixable with a flashgun, but sometimes I just want to use the in -camera flash.

All an all I recommend the lens... ryanwhalen: You convince me by saying that if a truck destroy your lens you will buy another one immediately... I will do the same thing!
reviewer#2224 date: Apr-29-2007
compared to:Canon 28-70mm L
positive:Perfect range.
Build.
Sharp for the price.
Good bokeh.
negative:Heavy
82mm filters (expensive)
comment:This is my walk around lens. It has the perfect range for me, especially on my Maxxum 7, 24mm is really 24mm. I hope the next body is full-frame :)
reviewer#1820 date: Feb-12-2007
compared to:Kit lens 18-70.
positive:Built like a tank.
Elegant EX finishing.
Sharp.
Good length coverage.
negative:Heavy.
Ř82 mm (expensive filters).
Intimidating for candids??
comment:I bought this lens on Evil Bay and, when I received it, I was a bit surprised about its dimensions! It's big and heavy (Ř82 mm - which makes the filters quite expensive), but I have to say that it stays on my camera 80% of the times I shoot.
I made really good pictures with it (for my standards of course...) and I really love it.
It is sharp and it covers focal lengths from 24mm to 70mm, which makes it useful in most occasions. I shot some pics at one of my friends' wedding and I had great results!
I can only compare it to the kit lens because I never used any similar lens before...is it a fair comparison? I don't know, but the Sigma beats the kit lens hands down!
reviewer#1754 date: Feb-6-2007
compared to:Kit (18-70)
50mm 1.7
price paid:306 usd (as new)
positive:Range
IQ
negative:82mm filters
Weight
comment:I bought this for the speed and the range. I have not been disappointed. It's a marvellously useful lens, and is on my camera for most walking about. If this lens were run over by a truck I would quickly replace it.
reviewer#1481 date: Nov-26-2006
compared to:Minolta - AF 28-105 F3.5-4.5 xi
price paid:$324 New
positive:Sharp stepped down
Colour
Nice walkaround lens
negative:Big and heavy for it's range and max Fstop
MF - AF switch
comment:MF - AF is of push pull type of the focus ring and they warn you in the manual not to have it on MF if the camera is at AF (Guess it could broke something in the camera if AF-ing while lens at MF) and it has happend a few times that I accidently moved the focus ring to MF while out there, luckely I have seen it before turning on the camera or aiming.
reviewer#1254 date: Oct-1-2006
positive:Sharp at f4.
negative:Not so comfortable AF/MF swtching. Lens hood is not enough in some circumstances to avoid fog/flare. Dust pump build.
comment:
reviewer#1138 date: Aug-29-2006
compared to:KM 18-70 kit
Tamron 28-300 XR DI
price paid:385 (new)
Rigid,Good feel
negative:82mm filter
Heavy (@first)
comment:In the picture, it doesn't look big enough, for me the Sigma 50mm f2.8 EX DG Marco looks bigger.

The lens is really big and quite heavy at first. But when you get used to it, it's really normal and look kind of a PRO looking.

The images are sharp at 2.8 and very sharp at f4. This is the lens that i always on my KM 5D. My walkaround lens and works great indoors. A very good value for money as compared to Canon 24-70L.

An added bonus is its marco... i don't really need the macro since i have the Sigma 50 f2.8 EX DG Macro already but it works well if you want to do some marco shots.

I can get recommend this lens at anytime... Just make sure you have a good copy of the lens
reviewer#1072 date: Aug-8-2006
compared to:kM 28-75mm f/2.8
KM 50mm f/1.8
positive:Great Build
Color
Wide
Decent Bokeh
negative:Flare
comment:Mine was the EX DG DF ver (why so much acronyms?), non Macro ver. Thought sharp, this is reputably not as sharp as the 28-70mm brother (much like the 24/28-70mm Canon L lens), but definitely more useful because of its better reach. While of course, it gets sharper as it is stepped down, f/2.8 was very useable, if your not so keen on the corners.

What I liked about this lens vs the KM 28-75mm was its build (I dropped it hard on the bare floor few times, & NP ;)), better color (KM was more neutral, & artificial), bokeh & of course, more width. KM ver beats this in term of overall sharpness, much better flare control (the latest Sigma ver is said to handle flare much better), & faster AF (though Sigma's AF was more than adequate).

I eventually sold it & got the KM 28-75mm f2.8, and I really had no regrets (except for the width & the color). But if you can get this lens for a decent price--around $200 or so, I would recommend this lens, unless you like lighter/small lens, as it is quite big & heavy.
reviewer#541 date: Feb-25-2006
compared to:canon 24-70 f/2.8
positive:sharp and bright!
negative:flare, zoom ring could be wider
comment:Well, it seems others have had so-so experiences with this lenses, but mine has been really positive. I got it pretty cheaply (about $230) brand new.

Images are sharp in my copy even at 2.8, with good colors and contrast. While the lens is kind of plasticky, it still feels quite durable; the EX finish helps with this I think. I do wish the zoom ring were a bit wider, and that perhaps the focus and zoom rings were in opposite positions, but you get used to it. The zoom was stiff at first but after a couple of weeks it feels normal now.

The only downside is that flare control is poor - the lens hood helps but not a great deal. Still, it's only actually affected me one time, when I was trying to get a sunset. Luckily I don't shoot much in the way of landscapes.

The only other lens of this sort I've used was a canon 24-70 2.8 on a 20d - that lens was great but it costs about 4.5 times as much, and it's only real benefit in my view was better flare control, faster AF (AF on this sigma isfine, but the USM was really nice) and somewhat more durable build. As far as image quality, where flare's not an issue this lens easily matches it.
reviewer#476 date: Feb-10-2006
positive:Sharp images
Fast AF
negative:Size / weight
At 82mm it makes UV filter expensive
comment:Took 3 goes to get a decent version of this lens. The first had a mark on the front glass. The second did not work on my 7D but the third was fine. Worth the wait!
reviewer#292 date: Dec-18-2005
compared to:Minolta 24-105, minolta 28-135
positive:range-36-105 on digital, overall build quality* Manual-focus
negative:*due to size and weight, zoom binds depending on whether it is pointed up or down.
performance at 2.8
comment:While this lens is an excellent performer at 5.6-11, it has been a disappointment wide open. For many this is not a critical issue, but it was the reason I purchased a fast, wide to short tele lens.
Overall, the build quality is VG, except in the zoom ring. Due to its large size and weight, I find the zoom ring binds. I have to tilt it up or down to get a smooth movement. Often, this is not an issue, only an irritation.
The 2.8 apeture provides a very bright viewfinder which helps greatly in MF, which is a definite plus for this lens. I do enjoy MF with this lens, not something easily said about many AF lenses.
Mine is an older version, but sigma upgraded it with an 8-contact chip. This has made it D compatible and I have gotten excellent performance with the 5600HS, used at F8-11.
If you are looking for a lens to use wide-open, I can't recommend it. However, for general situations, and MF in particular, it is a quality choice.
reviewer#216 date: Nov-13-2005
compared to:Canon 10D 24-70L and Sigma 18-125 DC and KM 18-70mm kit lens
positive:Easily equals my Canon 24-70L in sharpness and speed. AF is good.
negative:Flare
comment:The best lens I have used to date for the money. I use it on my new 5D. It seems big at first but compared to my Canon 24-70L, this Sigma is a light weight. This lens is dramatically sharper than the Sigma 18-125mm and the cheap 18-70 kit lens. Yes those lenses are ok stopped down but this 24-70 EX is simply in another league. My only negative is flare when shooting photos that involve the sun.
reviewer#212 date: Nov-12-2005
positive:Color rendition, sharpness and bokeh
negative:Weight and flare control.
comment:A bulky solid lense with excellent color rendition and large aperture usability. Fast autofocus and not as noisy as some review point out (subjective opinion). Flare control let me down, no extrem situations to detect this problem. Anyhow a very advisable lens.
reviewer#195 date: Nov-1-2005
positive:
negative:82mm, zoom ring width
comment:
reviewer#36 date: Jan-3-2005
compared to:Tamron 17-50/2.8 SP ...
positive:The sweet range starts at about f4.
negative:The sharpness wide open definitely lacks.
When using flash it's signalling the wrong focal length at 24mm, so the flash (5600 HS D) always returns to the 85mm position.
comment:As of March 2007 I'm dearly waiting for the Sony/Zeiss 24-70 to appear, as I'm terrible looking for a full-frame, high quality standard zoom lens that also produces excellent quality pictures below f4. Because what's the point of lugging a f2.8 standard zoom around otherwise? For the time being I switched to the Tamron 17-50 2.8 SP XYZQ, as I like it better wide open.
reviews found: 46    << 1 2