Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG Macro A-mount lens reviews

reviewer#10556 date: Oct-3-2012
compared to:Minolta 50/1.7
beercan 70/210
tamron 17/50
price paid:150 Euro (used mint)
positive:Sharp!!! AF in not so slow for a macro lens.
negative:Hunts a bit in low light
comment:Great Lens! Af in not so slow for a macro and it's a bit (but not so much) noisy. I think did a perfect purchase!!! only 150 euro in mint condition.
reviewer#10508 date: Sep-12-2012
compared to:Minolta 50 mm 1.7
Sony 18-55 kit lens
price paid:240 € (new)
positive:Sharp, true macro, solid built
negative:Funny lens hood, CA at 1:1 magnification
comment:I bought this lens since I needed true macro. Unfortunately, for true macro (1:1) I found this lens produces (depending on the light conditions) some CA that really can be awful. Interesting, I made better close ups with kit lens (Sony 18-55) using +10 close up filter. So, if you really need macro lens, consider some other. On the other side, price goes in favor of Sigma. For everything else, this lens is a killer - very sharp even wide open, nice colors, accurate AF. The downside is funny screw in lens hood, without inner screw, so, when it is mounted, you can not put a filter or add the lens cap. If you want to have 1:1 magnification, you can not use the hood because focus distance is so close. This is a reason why my hood is almost always somewhere in the bag.
reviewer#10292 date: Jun-11-2012
compared to:DT 18-55 SAL
price paid:150 € (used)
positive:sharp
cheap
1:1 macro without additional closeup-lens
negative:slow and noisy AF
comment:Great macro for starting macro photography. Cheap, sharp but slow and noisy AF. Anyway, my preferred lens for a long time!
reviewer#7206 date: Mar-31-2010
compared to:Sony 18-70 Minolta 35-70 3.5-4
Minolta 70-210 4.0
Sigma 18-200 Sigma 70-300 APO
Minolta 35 2,0
Minolta 135 2,8
Sigma 10-20
Minolta 35-70 4,0
price paid:200 Euro (used)
positive:sharp
1:1 Macro
cheap
negative:distance to subject
a bit slow Af in low light
comment:Best lens i own.
Love this lens! Razor sharp,nice colours, well built. what can u expect more from a lens?
reviewer#6509 date: Dec-2-2009
positive:Well priced
Beautiful bokeh
negative:Focus hunts a little on occassions
comment:Would recommend to anyone who isn't ready to spend a lot on a macro lens
reviewer#6496 date: Dec-1-2009
compared to:Sigma 105mm f2.8 macro
positive:Sharpness at all f-stops
Well Built
Nice portrait lens as well (too sharp?)
negative:Short Range
No lens Cap if hood is on
comment:Love it for indoor or Still Macros...not enough range for moving subjects. Would recommend it Highly.
reviewer#6346 date: Nov-8-2009
price paid:200 €
positive:sharp, good lens for general purpose (portraits, etc)
negative:noisy and slow AF, lenshood
comment:my first macro lens, I think it is ideal to learn to shoot macros
reviewer#6101 date: Sep-21-2009
Great colours
Cheap
negative:Lenshood
AF sometimes hunts
comment:Replacing my sony kit lens as well as my old minolta kits, I found this lens to be razor-sharp at all apertures, and the colours and contrasts are simply outstanding. Although it's a macro, I also use it as walk-around lens and it's great for nature shots. Build is really nice.
It was an eye-opener on my A200, and it almost never leaves it now. Also great colours with the a700. Highly recommended!
reviewer#5952 date: Sep-1-2009
compared to:Sigma 17-70
positive:Pictures are razor sharp.
negative:As all macro lenses the autofocus is a tad slow. The working distance is short but of course that's normal for 50mm macro
comment:
reviewer#5275 date: Apr-22-2009
compared to:Minolta 28mm f2.8
price paid:$250 ( new)
positive:Sharp, even at f2.8. Great colors.
negative:slow AF, close distance to subject,
comment:Optically, you won't find a better lens. This is my favorite lens. It works wonderfully as a macro and portrait lens. Plus, it's a whole lot cheaper than the Sony one.
reviewer#4033 date: Sep-3-2008
compared to:Sony 100 mm f/2.8 macro
positive:
comment:
reviewer#3017 date: Dec-1-2007
compared to:This is my first macro lens
positive:-Only $270 for 1:1 macro
-Very sharp
-Decently fast AF
-AF limiter
-f/2.8
-Can focus to infinity for portraits
negative:-Somewhat loud AF
-Since it is only 50mm, there isn't much working room
-Screw-on lens hood
comment:Great lens for anyone who wants to get into the world of macro. Although there is not a lot of working room since it's only a 50mm, it does the job wonderfully. I own the Pentax K mount for this lens. Everything works wonderfully; no major problems, no scratches, etc. The focus ring turns roughly 270 degrees, so there isn't any problem fine-focusing. It will extend another 2 inches when fully extended to 1:1. Great lens, I reccomend it to anyone who wants to get started with true macro!
reviewer#2861 date: Oct-20-2007
compared to:Minolta 50 1.7
price paid:250€ new
positive:Very sharp
No distortion and CA
Focus limiter
Good price
negative:Auto focus hunts/noisy
comment:The lens is on the camera when sharpness is the criterion.
The Sigma is to sharp (even at F2.8) for portraits

A very good lens when it comes to the point to catch every detail - to document something. No distortion no CA very sharp from 1:1 to infinity

The Minolta 50 1.7 produces better colors and bokeh.

I will keep the Sigma and the Minolta. They are build for different applications.

AF is fast enough with A700
positive:-Sharp
-AF limiter good solution
-1:1
negative:-that hood...
-AF sounds like a coffee grinder
comment:I got this lens as a gift last autumn. I felt I needed a real 1:1 macro, but the price had to be reasonable.

Well, the Sig 50 DG was the cheapest one I could find, but what a nice buy it has proven to be. I like the EX feel. It's just right. The lens also feels put together very well. Sharpness is good, all the way into very high apertures. It goes on until 45. Never used that. I found it to be very useful in everyday use. You can get really close, but it's a very nice portrait lens too (especially at 2.8, where it does not yet show every little zit too sharp).

After a couple of months of use I even found myself wondering if I shouldn't sell the 50/1.7. Came to the conclusion I like the colors better. And manual focus is easier with the Minolta, definitely past 1m.

Negatives, well...
The 50mm causes the bokeh to be quite lively (read: distracting), but that's a problem with all 50mm macro's. And I don't want to nit-pick, but that hood really doesn't work for me. I want to be able to clip it on like on the beercan or twist it on like the kit's. Screw-on is screwed up, especially because you can't put the lens cap on anymore when the hood is on. Who designed that?! The other little problem is not really a problem until you discover it is not really a problem but just a design flaw. When the lens hunts (like every macro) it sounds just like a coffee grinder. I seriously thought it was broken in the beginning! OTOH, the focus limiter works great.

I can't imagine anyone wanting to buy the Sony one for double the price, unless they really hate Sigma. It's good, can give very nice results.

I don't regret buying (wel... 'selecting'...) it, it's a bang-for-buck lens. Still, now I would get the 70mm as it is better for portraits and just a bit longer (meaning more working distance in 1:1)
reviewer#1485 date: Nov-28-2006
compared to:Quantaray (Sigma) 24/2.8 Macro
Minolta 50/1.4, 50/1.7, 28/2.8
Several lenses with extension tubes.
price paid:74 USD see **
positive:Very sharp images, my first 1:1 macro, my price see**
negative:AF hunts a bit, have yet to test the limiter which should make it better for macro photography.
comment:I have only had it for a short time and will really need to wait til spring to find some decent photo targets but can already see this lens is very sharp even at 2.8 (although the dof is of course very shallow). The colors seem a tad washed out, I gave it a build rating of 5 even though the lens I have is defective ** I bought this lens knowing it had issues, the auto focus sometimes does not engage and needs a little help by twisting it along manually. It seems to happen more at the extremes. It's seems like when a transmission slips on a car, the engine spins but not tranfering the movement to the wheels (or in this case focus gears). Still think it is worth what I paid and used, but in good condition, seems worth the $150 or so they go for on ebay, even if branded Quantaray.
reviewer#1426 date: Nov-15-2006
compared to:Minolta 28mm/2.8
SAL50M28
price paid:$250 US new
positive:Excellent sharpness and skin color rendition.
negative:Lens cap cannot fit while hood on.
comment:I use it mainly for skin disease photography and when light is bright then mainly no problem with AF. Overall a very nice lens.
Beware from the focus limiter, it breaks easily, so always leave it on "full". Inner construction not so decent.
Sony version way much better construction, and overall image quality better.
reviewer#1425 date: Nov-15-2006
compared to:Minolta 50mm f/1.7
price paid:$150 USD New
positive:* Low price compared to Minolta/Sony options.
* Good handling and feel.
* True 1:1 macro reproduction.
* Good out of focus backgrounds.
* Can use multiple filter sizes.
* Useful focus limiter.
negative:* Noisy AF gear train.
* Screw in (as opposed to bayonet) lens hood.
* 1:1 reproduction is at about half an inch of focusing distance - not useful for moving subjects.
comment:The Sigma 50mm macro is the shortest focal length of Sigma's four dedicated Macro lenses, and is a good all-around lens useful for more than just blowing up stamps.

* BUILD QUALITY AND FEEL

The lens has a plastic housing, but it doesn't feel flimsy. The focusing ring has a nice knurled rubber grip and turns smoothly. It also has a wide throw for easy adjustments. However, the AF geartrain is very noisy. This, I believe is what makes the lens feel "plasticky" - it's not a metallic gear noise like a beercan or early Minolta lenses, it's a plasticky gear noise that feels ratchety. A smoother geartrain would make this lens feel like butter, and is pretty much the lone complaint I can lodge against it as far as build quality.

The lens hood is a metal screw-in affair, and given the deep recession of the front element, probably protects the lens well from flare. It also acts as a step-up ring - with 72mm threads on the end, you can use the same filters on your larger 72mm lenses on this one as well. It also lets you use larger lens caps - ergo, no taking off the lens hood if you have a 72mm cap hanging around. Some people will like this, others don't.

* FOCUSING PERFORMANCE

Given the wide range of focus and the criticality of focusing in Macro work, autofocus is probably not what you're looking for in a Macro lens. In regular light and in general shooting conditions, the AF on this lens works well, given that just past five feet is the infinity point. To keep the hunting down in general use, you can use the included focus limiter switch to halve the range of the autofocus, which is useful and also works for the other half of the range as well.

Manual focusing works well thanks to the decent ring. The rubber grip is very... grippy and the large range of focus makes focusing a breeze. The hard part... is actually telling what's in focus. The 5D's viewfinder isn't exactly manual friendly, so you might find yourself using an angle finder for Macro work.

* IMAGE QUALITY

Therein lies the rub... the sharpness of this lens is superb. Most likely due to the optical design, I'm amazed at just... the absolute sharpness of the lens. The lack of distortion combines to create excellent building blocks for close-up pictures.

The colors... aren't as good as the sharpness. It tends to have that very neutral color I get from Sigma lenses. Minolta lenses tend to add a nice cast that I (and others) seem to like, but nowadays we're generally able to do whatever we want with color in the computer. The lens has a circular aperture as well, and the blurred backgrounds st f/2.8 are very good.

This lens probably isn't as good as the Minolta 50mm f/2.8 Macro. However, considering the used market's crazy prices, I would be nuts to turn down a new in box for $150. This is a very capable performer and is a good substitute for the "real Minolta" if you can't get one or won't break the bank.
reviewer#1108 date: Aug-24-2006
positive:excellent build, true macro.
negative:AF hunts in low light
comment:This is my first 50mm. Great lens for it price weight is just right. Great build. AF hunts and is a little slow. focus limiter an extremely useful feature.
reviewer#978 date: Jul-5-2006
compared to:Tamron 24-135 macro, KM 28-75 + 2x diopter
positive:Exterior finish, 1 to 1 macro, lens hood acts as 72mm filter holder
negative:hunts in low light scenarios, mount feels tight when attaching and removing from body, zoom ring abit narrow
Threaded lens hood
comment:Ever since I've known about dslr's I have read mixed reviews about Sigma. Well I finally invested in this lens. I was looking for: a portrait lens, macro, 72mm filter- all my lenses are 72mm filter-, quality feel, and lightweight. If this is what your after then this is the lens for you. I have used it for studio portrait work and have been impressed by its sharpness and color results. THe lens hood acts as a 72mm filter holder and if that too big then you can just attach a 55mm filter before threading the hood. As a macro, it is amazing, I never new you can get those results from a true macro lens.
As always there must be some negatives: the mount feels abit tight for the body. ALso, the lens hood is threaded which realy isn't aproblem if you make sure to tighten it up before shooting. I wish the zoom ring was abit wider but that can be easily adaptable. Overall, I would buy this lens again. Good luck.

Note: I haven't tested the flare control, but never had to readjust my shot due to lighting.
reviewer#786 date: May-14-2006
compared to:M42 lens like pentacon 50/1.8 and chinon 50/1.7
price paid:190usd
positive:Build quality, AF very fast at 50mm (as a common AF lens).
Flare control is very good.
Limit function.
negative:Hood is a screw one so your filters need screw too at the other side.

AF haunting in macro, but easily fix with the limiter function.
comment:I had had the lens for a few days now and I am very impressed by is performance.
Very sharp, very good flare control and an excellent build quality.
The limit function is very nice to have. It lets you to control thr AF haunting in macro mode.

Negative things:
weigth, pretty big for a 50mm (but you get the whole macro function too)
The hood, is a screw one.

I think it is an excellent lens so far.
reviewer#735 date: Apr-30-2006
-Sharp
negative:-Screw-on lenshood
-lens really close to the subject in 1:1
comment:I have compared this lens directly to the KM 50mm f1.7

The AD of the sigma is pretty good considering its a macro lens. The KM outperforms this, but not in a significant way imho. The focuslimiter is a nice feature and indeed a must on a macro.

The sigma has a few advantages over the KM 50mm, other than macro capability, that makes this lens stay more on my 5d than the KM does. Its bigger, and that makes it much easier for me handel. Meaning that its less trouble to use the MF focusing ring, and as the lens is a bit longer it suites my hand better. Also, its got the EX finish and feel, its more robust than the KM. Note that i do not think the KM is a bad lens, its as sharp as the sigma and good value for the money, but so is this sigma.

The fact that this lens does only f2.8 and the KM does f1.7 has no relevance to me. i seldomly use the f1.7 on the KM and this sigma is just as sharp wide open as the KM stepped down to f2.8.

The few negativ sides on the sigma that i have found has not bothered me too much. The screw-on lenshood (with screw-on i mean its attached just like a filter) is a bit clumsy. Or maybe its just me, but as its not possible to attach a filter on the lenshood, it feels to much a bother to use it.
So i use it without the lenshood, and no trouble with flares or contrast. The other negative comment about this lens is the short distance to the object when using 1:1. But as i do not really need 1:1, more the kind of closeups and product shots, it works just fine for me. If you want to take pictures of bugs, choose a lens with longer focal lenght.

As i paid 180e for the KM and 316e for the sigma, i think the sigma is the greater for me with the macro and feel, even though the KM is as good with picture quality. As i do not know and have not tested any lens that has better picturequality ill give this 5, just as ill give the KM 50mm 1.7. As for the flarecontrol, i have never had problems with flare, not even with the kitlens that people say is prone to lensflare, so i'll just trust this lens and give it a 5 for that as well. Build rating would be 4.5 but thats not possible, and would only be because of the lenshood i do not like, so i'll give it a 5.