Minolta AF 50mm F1.4 RS A-mount lens reviews

compared to:50mm f1.7
28mm f2
positive:Small.
Very good focus ring.
I rated with 4 the flare, but never had a problem with it.
Hood is very good now.
55mm filter thread
negative:BF problems on my 7D
comment:I sold this lens for a ridiculous price. One week later I decide to rebuy again, now new in box and very good priced(B&H).

50mm f1.7 is very good too, but for me is important the hood and the wider focus ring. Compared with it, and wide open used(f1.4-f2), the 1.4 RS is MUCH sharper and MUCH better.

From f1.4 to f2 is less sharp, but from f2 to f2.8 is a great performer.

Back focus problems on my 7D and A700 with low contrast scenes
reviewer#903 date: Jun-9-2006
positive:- very sharp at F2 and down
- 55mm filter thread and nice hood
- bokeh if background is carefully chosen
negative:- could have been sharper at 1.4
- bokeh if background is very hard
comment:Very useful short tele/portrait lens on 1.5x crop. Very sharp corner to corner when stopped down a bit, but 1.4 is still usable. Compared to original version this one has much more common 55mm filter thread, nice deep bayonet mounted hood and much better focusing ring.

Does not like if you give it too contrasty far-off-the-focus background - in this case renders quite ugly bokeh, but areas which are closer to the focus are smoothed really nicely, so if you choose your background carefully it will render oof very nicely.
reviewer#849 date: May-30-2006
positive:Fast, fast AF, compact size, nice focus ring
negative:Softish wide open
comment:- Sharpness: wide open a bit soft, stopped down to f/2 - excellent,
- Colour: very neutral, simply "transparent" lens,
- Build: not a tank but nothing I would complain about,
- Distortion: I did not do any "laboratory" testing but cannot see any real life problems with that.
- Flare: have not noticed any problems with that either.
I use this lens mainly for, what I would call, "musemu&church" shooting (low light, hand held, limited space, rather big details like paintings, details of frescos etc.). It served me well for stage performance shots and some portraits too. Softness when wide open can be accepted when one realizes how "dark" you can go with it (and AS) without cranking up ISO. It amazes me every time.
reviewer#832 date: May-23-2006
compared to:Minolta 50mm f1.7, 50mm f1.7RS
positive:Price vs performance, size, AF speed is very good
negative:Hood not petal shaped (makes it awkward with polarizer filter)
comment:I like this lens a lot and wouldnt be without it when shooting. A 50mm is a must have lens and this is the version to get. At least until they make a G (D) version with 9 blades and full metal construction with a petal hood.

Regardless, it is fantstic on FF and makes an excellent high-speed portrait lens on APS-C crop digital.

Very highly recommended!
reviewer#584 date: Mar-15-2006
compared to:Minolta 50/1.7 RS
positive:Very sharp from f2.8 and up. Much sharper than I expected at even f1.4. Great colors and contrast. Good build quality.
negative:The bokeh is not as good as one could hope for, but still OK.
comment:I owned the 50/1.7 RS previously but sold it as I did not find it to be much better than my GREAT Minolta 28-75/2.8. The 50/1.7 was not sharper than my zoom at 2.8, so why should I keep it? I got an offer for a like-new 50/1.4, and as I missed having a really good low-light lens I bought it. Wow, there are differences between this 50/1.4 and the 50/1.7. Perhaps the 50/1.7 I owned was a lemon, but any way, the 1.4 is in a quite different league. The 50/1.4 is much sharper at 1.4 than the 50/1.7 was at f2, so yes I am happy with it!
reviewer#350 date: Dec-26-2005
compared to:50/1.7, canon 50/1.8II

price paid:90 pounds sterling (as new)
positive:Light weight, fast focusing but needs a good target. Very sharp except at f1.4.

negative:A little small to get your hand under, so light that that doesn't matter as you can have both hands on the body if you are autofocusing. Softer than some fast lenses at 1.4 but not by much. Bokeh has some edges to it when it is not stopped down a little.
comment:It IS useable at f1.4 depending on the type of shot.
If you buy it JUST for the bokeh wide open then you may be disappointed. As an all around 50mm, however, it is excellent. In the f2.8 to f8 range its almost keeping up with the macros for sharpness. The 50/1.7 is more discreet with its built in hood than the 50/1.4 with hood attached (but you are never that discreet with a 7D :) ). I do prefer it to the f1.7s I have but the extra cost is a luxury rather than than an necessity.

Andrew
reviewer#40 date: Jan-8-2005
compared to:Easier to use and as good as
Leica M 75mm f1.4;

Better built than Nikkor 50mm f1.4 AF + real solid sun shade
positive:Superfast short tele on 7D;
Superb rendition;
Light and well built
negative:No "D" chip
comment:On 7D, becomes extremely useful short tele, with great capabilities for casual indoors portraits, while still versatile enough for "standard" outdoors photography.

Light, well built, compact, with real sun shade, it is a pleasure to use.

Rounded aperture, and super sharp rendition from f2.8 on. The f1.4 is entirely useable, and, again, with AS, turns into a mean available light machine.

With the DoF of a 50mm, it is slightly less sensitive than 75mm or 85mm f1.4 to erratic shifts of focus plane following slight subject or photographer movements.

No problems whatsoever with 7D on AF front.
reviews found: 37    << 1 2