Tamron AF 55-200mm F4-5.6 Di II A-mount lens reviews

reviews found: 50    << 1 2
reviewer#4482 date: Dec-6-2008
compared to:kitlens
positive:Great little lens for guys like me, who are not tele freaks, but like to have something handy; price
negative:Rotating focus ring, corners are not very sharp sometimes
comment:I am decidedly a wide angle kind of guy, but I wanted to have some cheap, handy, small little tele lens for an off tele shot or two. Also, I mostly use my camera when I travel, so all my lenses must be "travel lenses", to fit in an airplane carry on luggage, not break my back when walking around for a whole day etc. I am not interested in any lens that I cannot take on my trips (airplane, train, hiking...). For this reason I will probably never own a 70-200 f.2.8 regardless of the price because they're just so damn huge. So this lens fits my requirements (almost) perfectly. Having said that I never expected to have this much fun with this lens! Very flexible focal range, surprising sharpness overall, usable for portraits, the only drawback is the lack of sharpness in corners in some situations, but hey, for the price paid, I cannot complain.
reviewer#4294 date: Oct-27-2008
- Compact Size
- Lightweight
- Price
negative:- Plastic build
comment:Not a bad little lens at all! I was surprised by the sharpness of this lens. As mentioned in another review, combining this lens with the Tamron 17-50/2.8 makes for an awesome traveling combo. Compared to the 70-210/4, the only advantages this lens has is compact size, lightweight and price. As for sharpness, I see them as being equal, bokeh between the two lenses are comparable, with the beercan having a slight advantage. The Tamron 55-200 has no advantages over the 85/1.4 when being used as a portrait lens. For outdoor shooting, I find both the Tamron 55-200 and the Minolta 100-300 APO to provide very pleasing and sharp results, the Tamron 55-200 having an edge when it comes to AF on the A700 and the Minolta 100-300 having an advantage by controlling purple fringing better thanks to the APO glass.

SUGGESTION: If you are currently contemplating buying a 70-210/4 or beercan, I would suggest putting some serious consideration into buying the Tamron 55-200 instead. You can get the Tamron brand new for less than $150 USD, which includes a 6 year warranty. The used prices for the beercan have reached $200+ and includes no warranty. Something to consider...
reviewer#4275 date: Oct-24-2008
compared to:Minolta 28-105
Minolta 75-300 (new)
price paid:Ł49
Colour
negative:52mm filters
comment:Amazing lens for the price. Build could be better, but not bad.
Outstanding IQ. If you are on a tight budget don't bother with second hand 70-210s etc., get one of these!!! You won't regret it.
reviewer#3974 date: Aug-17-2008
- Macro (to a degree)
- Fast AF
- Decent aperture speed
- Very nice SP construction
negative:- Hunts wicked in low-light (to be expected)
- Unusable focus ring
- Plastic mount
comment:A really fantastic lens. Small and lightweight enough to fit into any rig. It's an amazing counterpart to the Tamron 17-50/2.8. I was really blown away by the IQ coming out of this small, all-plastic lens; it rivals the beercan in everything except sharpness. The colors are "classic Tamron", slightly muted and very realistic, with excellent contrast. The range could be faster, and the focus ring is 100% useless, but AF works very well.

I'm thinking I might keep this lens even when I replace the range with faster glass, just because of its bang-for-the-buck and great small size and lightness. Another winner!
reviewer#3928 date: Aug-4-2008
-light and compact
-6 year warranty
-great bokeh
-quite sharp
negative:nothing to speak of considering the price.
Metal lens mount would be nice.
comment:First, what I was looking for in a lens:
I shoot mostly wide-angle landscape, but I like having a light compact tele zoom handy for the off shot and also doing close-up work on wildflowers.
I do alot of backpacking and backcountry travel, so size and weight are important considerations in what I take with me.
Back in my Olympus DSLR days, I really liked the foal range of my Zuiko 40-150mm, which in APS-C terms is very close to the Tamrom 55-200mm. I had the Sigma 70-300 on my A350 for a short time but I hated it since it was never consistently sharp.
So I thought I'd give the tammy a try, and I must say that it's every bit as good as the Zuiko 40-150, which retails at 400.00!
It's quite sharp throughout the focal range and with the 3 foot minimum focus distance, gives good close-up work and a nice bokeh. Yes the build is basically plastic, but it still feels to me like a well built lens for the price and holy moly Tamron gives it a 6 year warranty!
A definite recommend if you want an economical tele zoom.
reviewer#3927 date: Aug-4-2008
-light and compact
-6 year warranty
-great bokeh
-quite sharp
negative:nothing to speak of considering the price.
Metal lens mount would be nice.
comment:First, what I was looking for in a lens:
A definite recommend if you want an economical tele zoom.
reviewer#3884 date: Jul-25-2008
compared to:Sony 18-250
KoMi 100-30APO(D)
positive:weight
CA control
price
sharpness
negative:52mm filter size
comment:After testing the Sony DT 55-200 i got this one, as it is the same build but 150 dollars less in price.

The IQ is really excellent. Although not 100% perfect, it is much better than the 75-300 kit lens. I had much CA on that one. The Tamron controls it well. Not bad for a Non-APO lens.

If you need something light and small to carry with you, that fits in almost any pouch, get it.

Sharpness, i gave a 4, because the prime lenses i have are much sharper.

reviewer#3793 date: Jul-3-2008
price paid:155 USD new
positive:- Perfect complement to the Tamron 17-50 Di II
- Image Quality!!!
negative:- Front element rotates while focusing
- focus hunting in low light
- bokeh can be bad
comment:This lens is a steal, excellent contrast/color for the price!!!

The bokeh is good and bad... At the minimum focus distance it is just fine but shooting something at telephoto end at a distance, bokeh is distracting.

Highly recommended if your on a tight budget !
reviewer#3741 date: Jun-20-2008
compared to:Cosina 19-35
price paid:Ł50 (new)
positive:Compact
Light
negative:Build doesn't engender confidence
comment:I thought it was a toy when I first got it...it is so light. I'm still trying to convince myself that a non-metallic mount is reliable...after all aeroplanes are constructed with a large amount of resin-based material nowadays. Of course the proof of a lens is in the photographs one can take with it. And here the Tamron performs well. It will be a good lens to take out on a walk.
reviewer#3739 date: Jun-19-2008
compared to:Minolta Beercan
price paid:$150
positive:Price
negative:None
comment:On my a100 this lens is very nice. Much lighter than the beer can. Appeture stays at f4 until about 110mm, f4.5 until 140mm. I have used it indoors and outdoors and it performs perfect. I am not a pro, but I am very happy with my purchase.
reviewer#3685 date: Jun-7-2008
compared to:Minolta 50/1.7
Minolta 70-210/4 Beercan
Sony SAL75300 Kit tele zoom
positive:Low weight
Small
Good build despite being of plastic, incl. mount
negative:Some CA in extreme situations
Some hunting in low contrast, low light situations
comment:A while ago me and GF got ourselves a Beercan, and had no idea that it was so bulky; it was intended for the GF since her shooting is mostly with our 50/1.7, Sigma 70mm DG EX Macro and the short end of the 75-300 kit.

After reading some decent reviews for the Tamron 55-200 lens, we bought one for around 850kr (140USD).

The lens seems to have OK quality and no slack or creep at zoom or manual focus rings. GF loves it for its small size and low weight.
I did some testing with:
- The Tamron 55-200
- The Beercan
- The 75-300 "kit" lens

Apart from the nicer bokeh and slightly nicer (yellower, older, Minolta-ish) colours of the Beercan, I think the Tamron is better than both the other lenses. At 200mm, wide open, the best result I got from the Tamron, while at f8 all three were good. The chromatic aberration from the beercan was pretty dismal in some situations, while the Tamron controlled it better, but in all honesty, I can't imagine any of these can stand up to CA control, sharpness and colours from the best lenses for those ranges, like the new "G" 70-300 and the old G 70-200 etc. I still have some wishful thinking that the Beercan photos look "nicer". But to be honest, the Tamron 55-200 is a lighter, better resolving match for the a350.

Gave 5 for distortion though I never did any test chart shooting but didn't see any distortion and likely would not, since it is only a 4x zoom and non in wide range.

4 for flare control, the hood takes care of most, and shooting almost against the sun, I didn't see any bad flare or artifacts.

Later today, at a cafe my GF took some nice portraits at closer ranges at 55 to 70mm, while my Beercan was not able to, at 70 I would have had to lean back quite a bit to get good portraits, and would have had more low light hunting.

It feels like we got a REALLY good sample of the Tamron 55-200, and I have a feeling it will never leave my GF's camera, leaving all the other lenses for me to use ;-)
(Of course, if I had a Star Trek replicator I'd copy her tammy right away)
reviewer#2963 date: Nov-22-2007
Fairly quiet
Fast AF
negative:Plastic Lens Mount
Lens hood fitment
comment:Bought this to replace a nacked 70-300 Sigma Apo, and wow what a lens, it's practically the same size as the A100's kit lens, has a nice feel and produces very good clear photos, the only downers are a plastic lens mount and poor hood fitment.

It's quicker at focussing than the Sigma, low light hunts but again is better than the APO, the reviews are spot on this is a lens that punches well above it's weight and size, and having Macro throughout the whole focal range is fantastic.
reviewer#2926 date: Nov-11-2007
compared to:Minolta 70-210 (beercan)
positive:Surprisingly sharp, light, neutral colours, no visible chromatic aberrations or distortions. Bokeh okay.
negative:Plastic mount.
comment:Very good for the price paid. Usually my walkaround lens.
reviewer#2919 date: Nov-9-2007
price paid:130 USD (1100 SEK)
positive:Sharp all over
Surprisingly fast in good light
negative:Cromatic dist.
Slow and bad focus in bad light.
comment:I use this almost all the time in combination with external flash and is very happy with the result.
Surprised at how fast it focus in good light and equally surprised at how slow it is in bad light.

Good lens for a walk in the park or as "people" lens in good light.

A little to plastic hood, afraid of breaking it everytime, but it held as yet.

edit : one bad note is that is has a bit to short focus distance for my taste I would like it top be a 50 cm shorter, then it would be a nice macro substitute.
reviewer#2704 date: Sep-7-2007
positive:Convenient price,
sharpness,
becomes 300mm at 1.5x
negative:slow af,
unuseful af in low light
comment:a very cheap zoom for dslr, hi quality zooms for this cameras are too expensive and the average 70-300 being them Minolta, Tamron or Sigma get all poor reviews in the sharpness above 200mm, so i bought this cheap one and wait...it's sharp at all ranges, the image may look a bit "flat" and colors a bit "point and shot", in low light it can't actually auto focus even with flash assist, nonethless a good zoom for the price
reviewer#2663 date: Aug-28-2007
positive:Surprisingly good results for the price. Very good sharpness.
negative:Nothing.
comment:I have just bought this lens to add the 55-200 range to my Sony Alpha (previously only used the kit lens 18-70). Last Sunday I went to a off-season carnival here in Brasília (Brazil) and it was a very good oportunity to test this lens. Considering I'm new to SLR's (my first SLR is Sony Alpha, which I bought 2 months ago) and also remembering that the Tamron 55-200 is very very cheap, I must say that I am extremely happy with the results. You can see the photos here:
reviewer#2636 date: Aug-16-2007
compared to:Quantaray 70-210
positive:Color, price, pretty sharp even wide open. Bokeh seems good. It is f4 and f4.5 through much of its range.
negative:A bit plasticky, f5.6.
comment:When I first got the lens, I was pleasantly surprised that photos looked good even with a wide open aperture.

With the even less-expensive Quantaray, in similar conditions, I had a harder time getting a 210mm shot that I was happy with. In contrast, with the Tamron, at f5.6, I'm happy with the results at 200mm. Also, the Tamron seems to have better color/contrast. (I have not yet tried much at a smaller aperture due to low light, but so far, it looks very encouraging.)

The f4-4.5 helps when light is not ideal. If you plan to use a teleconverter, you may not be able to autofocus at the longer end.

Ok, the mount is plastic, and it does seem like it uses a lot of plastic, but it seems built OK to me. All of the plastic reduces the weight.
reviewer#1845 date: Feb-17-2007
compared to:Sony 18-70 (kit)
Minolta 50/1.7
Sigma 28-70
price paid:GBP 99
positive:Small, light, sharp, cheap
negative:Build
comment:For the money, a very good lens (but I'm new to this, and have limited experience). Plastic, light (but this can be a real benefit), produces crisp, clear, sharp images (when stopped down a little). Overall very pleased with this lens. If you are looking for a lens with this focus range, and the budget is a little tight, this could be the lens for you.
reviewer#1413 date: Nov-12-2006
compared to:70-210 f4: 75-300 f4.5-5.6
positive:light, small, dropping down to 55 mm makes it more versatile than the standard 70/75mm lenses, faster than the std 75-300 it's f4 to 125 mm and doesn't get to f5.6 until 180mm. Sharp through the range. Cheap. Filters are cheap too - 52mm
negative:Not full frame, plastic mount
comment:I was already covered in this range but bored of carting the Beercan around and found that the 75-300 wasn't fast enough, meant that I kept changing lenses to get a bit wider and was a bit soft above 200 anyway. And it was dirt cheap! It doesn't have the resolution that the beercan offers but normally it's worth it just not to carry it around!
reviewer#677 date: Apr-11-2006
compared to:KM 18-70, sigma 75-300 zoom
positive:Light weight, optical quality, price
negative:manual focus, sun hood
comment:I bought this lens as a replacement for the (now 14 year old) Sigma zoom from which I found the results disapointing.
The pictures taken with this Tamron are all very sharp (sharper than from the other ones) and also the possibility to focus within 1 meter is very convenient. For it's price it is a very good lense.
The bajonet for the sun hood is a bit tight. Also the mount is (like the KM 18-70) from plastic.

reviews found: 50    << 1 2