Sony AF 35mm F1.4 G A-mount lens reviews

Build.
Sharp from f2.
Excelent contrast.
Amazing colors.
Almost no distorsion or flare.
negative:Coma wide open.

comment:t f1.4 the colors and transitions are just amazing, good contrast and lower shapness but very sustained in all the frame on a FF. The way this lens captures colors and light is just amazing, photos really look different.

The lens makes sense only on FF.

Build is superb, as a G should be, only Hood should be improved.

reviewer#5095 date: Mar-25-2009
price paid:$1300ish
positive:Brings in so much light.
negative:Can be a little soft closest to 1.4 but I can't complain
comment:I absolutely love this lens. I use it for photographing children mostly and is perfect for that. I have also used it for a couple of wedding closeups. I do all natural lighting and is just amazing for that. Love, love, love it!
reviewer#4989 date: Mar-10-2009
compared to:Minolta 85/1.4 G (D)
Minolta 17-35/3.5 G
Fast
Accurate
negative:Build
Case
comment:I've been eyeballing this lens for quite some time. I wanted it as a normal lens for indoor use shooting at APS-C and for indoor WA at full frame. I had been deferring purchase due to the price but I was able to snipe a perfect copy from eBay for such a low price I had to buy it. For indoor use, this lens and the 85/1.4G (D) are the best you can do. I would have got the Minolta version of the 35/1.4 if it was flash compatible. My fine Minolta glass is the whole reason I bought the a900. This lens is terrific in terms of functionality, performance and image quality but I have to take a shot at Sony here. This is my first Sony lens and compared with my bag full of classic Minolta G glass, it doesn't measure up. This lens is very pricey at full retail. The build is fair at best. There's too much plastic and it comes with a cheesy soft vinyl case. The Sony focus ring is acceptable but the old Minolta style seems more resistant to dust and oil from fingers. Holding it next to my 85/1.4G (D), the old Minolta construction quality is just not there on the Sony but they've jacked up the price considerably. If you're going to give this lens a 5 for build then the old Minolta G's deserve a 7 or better. The old Minolta A lenses like the beer can and fisheye are built better. NOTE - I noticed another contributor lamenting about fitting the hood over a CZ filter. My filter is an old Minolta AC L37 slim profile UV and the hood slides over it perfectly.
reviewer#4980 date: Mar-8-2009
compared to:- CZJ Flektogon 35mm/2.4 (m42)
- Takumar 3.5/35mm
price paid:1000 EUR (new)
positive:- sharp and contrasty
- "classic" / normal focal length on FF
- fast AF
- great colors
- nice bokeh
- good flare control
- build is excellent
- somehow smaller than a zoom
negative:- some vignetting wide open
- sort of bulky for a prime
- plastic shade
- chromatic aberrations
comment:This lens was initially sold for film, and is therefore very adapted to full frame digital.

Very good lens. I have been using this lens only on full frame, I guess it is a different kettle of fish with APS sensor. As a full frame lens, the 35mm is a very nice and useful focal length. I use it in conjunction with a 85mm and do 90% of my shots with either of these two lenses. It is nice to have the possibility to shoot at large apertures, which helps isolate the subject.

Difficult to focus wide open because of the very shallow DoF. It can feel soft wide open, sometimes, and certainly is to some extent, but the majority of times the picture feels soft because the focus is off.

It has a tendency to show CA with some high contrast (e.g. sunlit) subjects, even closed down a bit, which is annoying. This can be corrected in post-production, but still is a pain.

Lens build is excellent, but the plastic hood is clearly not the same league.
reviewer#4754 date: Jan-28-2009
compared to:50mm 1.7
CZ 85 1.4
105 Sigma Macro
17-50 Tamron 2.8
price paid:1200 USD NEW
positive:Sharp even wide open. Fast 1.4 aprature. Solid build near 50 mm on aps-c.
negative:Tends to be a little bright in broad day light, have to stop bown a bit at times
comment:Almost as good as the as the 85 CZ. Great out of focus areas the only problem I have is in day light I have to ev of stop down a bit. Even with that small draw back I still think this is a great lens but it is not as good as the CZ.
reviewer#4711 date: Jan-19-2009
positive:Build quality
Colors
Focus hold button
negative:Hood hard to fit with filter on
expensive
comment:Great lens with amazing bokeh. The build quality is top notch. My only complain is that I have a sony CZ protector filter on the lens and it makes fitting the hood really hard.
reviewer#4350 date: Nov-10-2008
compared to:Mir-24N 35/2 (M42)
Minolta 24-85/3.5-4.5 new
Tokina 20-35/3.5-4.5 II
Sony 18-70 kit
Sony 20/2.8
Minolta 50/2.8 macro I
Minolta 85/1.4G
price paid:1200 USD (like new)
positive:Great bokeh
Colors

Equivalent to 50 mm on APS-C
Focus hold button
Focus ring does not move in AF mode

negative:No.
comment:Excellent lens. Very compact for such large aperture, but bit heavy. Simply wide angle brother of 85G. Amazing 3D picture - bokeh is outstanding.
reviewer#4166 date: Sep-30-2008
positive:Bright!!
Micro contrast
Versatile with close MFD
Detail, colours & bokeh are A1
negative:I worry about damaging it.
Not the best for sunny landscapes.
comment:So versatile - focus hold is excellent. AF is fast. Hood weak but not always necessary. Softer at 1.4 (usefully so) but sharp above f/2. Bokeh machine at 35mm!! Some bokeh can be a bit edgy but on the whole the effect is very pleasing, like a wide 85G. Unbeatable indoors and focuses in low light easily. Detail and micro contrast in dark areas tremendous. I don't know what goes on inside that dark dense barrel, but it's pretty clever!

It gives a standard lens on A700 with close focus and hauls light in like a black hole. Often outdoors it will blow out the whites and I'll notice that the camera is working at 1/8000 sec, ISO 100, and I have to stop down a bit - no other Sony lens is brighter. I reduce the EV a bit as a default. Sometimes I get a paler circle (ghosting? sensor reflection?) in the centre of the image when shooting with the sun low in the frame but I guess this is not designed as a landscape lens primarily. Flare is actually well controlled though, it rarely washes out. Works well polarized.

The colours are just plain amazing and this is the most versatile, accurate prime of this length I could wish for. Very satisfying to own.

*UPDATE*
I spent some time setting up the AF on my A700 and got SHARP pictures at f/1.4. Every time, sharp pictures wide open. I sold the lens when I switched to A900 and replaced it with a Sigma 50/1.4 HSM, which only beats the Sony in one way - contrast wide open.
reviewer#4015 date: Aug-28-2008
compared to:35mm f2
28mm f2
24mm f2.8
price paid:1000 Euro
positive:All...
negative:...but sharpness @1.4
comment:This lens gives an outstanding 3D effect even on digital cameras. On film id perfect.
The sharpness is low @1.4 but increases @f2.
Not really contrasty but the bokeh is at the same level of 85mm f1.4 G and Planar... Simply wonderful.

The lens is perfect for difficoult light situations and indoor shooting.
reviewer#3658 date: Jun-1-2008
compared to:canon 35mm 1.4L,minolta 50mm 1.4.
positive:Great Minolta colors.
Incredible bokeh.
No distortion.
No flare problems.
Focus limiter.
Easy to use manual focus ring.
negative:price
comment:The best Minolta lens I owned;G-series build;an outstanding optical design and good coatings.
I'm glad Sony release this lens. It is a real gem in the Minolta legacy.
reviewer#3653 date: May-31-2008
price paid:1400 Euro (new)
positive:near everything
negative:No SSM
comment:
reviewer#3409 date: Mar-29-2008
compared to:SIGMA 24/1.8EX DG
SONY 50/1.4
positive:Bokeh(able to capture atmosphere.)
negative:Expensive. Slightly heavy.
comment:Although expensive, worthy balancing or more.
I do not know the lens which otherwise reproduces atmosphere this much.
The minolta's one anchored me with A-mount in unfortunate long period. And I replace SONY's one for hope of next generations.
reviewer#3278 date: Feb-18-2008
compared to:50/1.4
price paid:1420 CAD (new)
positive:Build quality
Heavy (I like confident weight in my glass)
negative:Devil sold it to me for my firstborn child.
comment:This lens is as far as I can tell, very sharp wide open. The shallow depth of field at f/1.4 is not the sort of thing you can use "focus lock and recompose" easily with. Mind you I figured out how to use all my focus points thanks to this.

The lens is built like a tank. Focuses fast on the a700, and the AF focus ring clutch on this lens is awesome.

Finally I have a fast normal prime on APS-C.

But I have to admit: damn... G lenses are addictive. Bet you can't get just one!
reviewer#3232 date: Feb-3-2008
price paid:Ł498.00 brand new
positive:sharpness, bokeh, build...I love this lens to pieces!
negative:none (maybe price if I bought it without the 50% discount!)
comment:A must have lens! I like the sharpness and bokeh I'm getting with this lens, colours are really good too! I will definitely keep this lens for a long time. If you have a spare cash, buy it! I want to make it clear, people might ask how did I get this lens for that price, Ł498!...there was a story behind this. I purchased it from Amazon UK through Calumet Photographic as the seller, I knew there might have been a mistake when I spotted it on Amazon's website for Ł498. I ordered it straight away that night and the lens arrived after three days. The price was back to its normal UK price after a day I ordered it online. I think I was just being lucky!!! Thanks Amazon and Calumet, you made my 30th bday really special!
reviewer#2819 date: Oct-3-2007
price paid:1500.00 (new)
positive:Gorgeous professional-level portrait and low light shots
Fantastic color and light
Great for hand-held users
negative:Price
Not ideal for landscapes
comment:I've owned this lens for 2 months and I love it! I've had my Sony A100 for about 10 months and used the kit lens for awhile. This lens was a big investment but a marked improvement over the kit lens. I rarely use anything else now unless I switch to my macro or telephoto lens for specialized shots. This is my "everyday" lens.

Before my Sony I had a compact Olympic. The Sony boosted my picture quality a great deal, but this lens boosted it into what is sometimes (on those lucky shots) pro or near pro quality. I wanted something that would work well hand-held in ambient light indoors or in dim light outdoors and also something for nighttime shots. This lens is great in these conditions. The combination of a fast lens like this with the Sony A100 anti-shake makes it possible to get nice shots hand-held even at night or in poor lighting indoors. It's also very compact and light, as light as my kit lens. This means a lot to me as I prefer the spontaneous photo feel and don't like to lug around a tripod.

The color and bokeh on this lens is really sweet. It does beautiful portraits and macro shots. The macro shots have an artsy tone with a very pretty hazed depth of field compared to my Sony Macro lens. The macro lens is nice but gives a sharper, more precise and 'logical' effect. I find I use it only when I want to get REALLY close in or want a 'wall to wall' sharpness.

With the AF 35MM F1.4 G I've also gotten fanastic results on portraits of family members and pets. Soft (in a good way) and very, very flattering. And no flash!

My next purchase will be a wide-angle lens for landscape shots. I find the AF 35 F1.4G not ideal for sunny day landscapes, even when I set it to f/11 or f/16. The lighting tends to get blown out if ambient light is too bright. Even my kit lens produces better results. On the other hand, on cloudy/rainy days this lens produces briliantly colorful and dreamy shots that are to die for.

In sum, I HIGHLY recommend this lens. I put a lot of photos in the sample image gallery. Hope this is helpful!
reviewer#2537 date: Jul-11-2007
price paid:HKD$9750
nice color
Beautiful bokeh
very useful range for snap
short min. focus distance
well build quality
negative:expensive
a bit heavy for its range
comment:very very very good lens.....
go and get it if you are still thinking.....
you won't disappoint
reviewer#2131 date: Apr-11-2007
compared to:M35/2 M28/2
positive:Colours
and Bokeh
negative:Price
comment:Bokeh Bokeh Bokeh. Simply outstanding!!!!!

Sharpness/resolution
Could be a bit better at 1.4 I guess but in use I havnt felt limited by sharpness considerations. In other words the choice of aperture is purely based on desired DOF not required sharpness so that to me this lens has great sharpness. (The only reason it is not a 5 is that in comparison to the 85 the 1.4 is not as razor sharp - but, as mentioned - very useable))

Part of the reason is probably also due to the fact that the colours and bokeh is so nice. All thoughts of any resolution good/bad is secondary when the whole pic looks so nice!

A900 note: The cost of the lens become much more justifiable (if it can be at all [:)] on FF: wide angle with 1.4 with beautiful bokeh ... fantastic!
reviewer#2028 date: Mar-25-2007
price paid:1700$
positive:Fast lens with lovely silky bokeh and good colors
negative:Expensive and soft under f/2
comment:The only disappointment for me is its softness @ 1.4, 1.6, 1.7 sharp @ f/2 and very sharp @ f2.8 and above, the CZ is much sharper @ 1.7 and the Minolta 85 1.4 G is also much sharper wide-open

Edit: just what to add that soft under f/2 I meant for an expensive prime lens so it’s not that soft that it cannot be used
reviewer#1962 date: Mar-13-2007
positive:Bright viewfinder, very fast and accurate AF.
Superb build and image quality.
negative:Purple fringing.
Price.
comment:Rno.'s review, below, had me concerned for I had already ordered me a copy...

After some preliminary tests I'd echo all of his comments, except the sharpness issue. I'm not really a perfectionist and I don't have a KM35/2 for comparison, but on my 5D even at f/1.4 I find my copy delivers, as far as sharpness and contrast are concerned, pretty acceptable images (I've placed a couple images on the Sample images forum, for your evaluation).

Only negative issue I could find so far is very noticeable purple fringing. Easy to remove, sure, but I took 1 point off from color rating for it...
reviewer#1854 date: Feb-19-2007
compared to:KM 35/2
KM 28/2
price paid:1400USD (new, B&H)
positive:Conveys quality.
Very good haptics.
negative:Not sharp below f/2.8!
Heavy for the size.
Expensive.
comment:This lens is dense! 510g heavy in such a small package--that must be quality.
The Sony design is minimalist par excellence, and I like it. The rubber insert is at the right spot, not conspicuous, but highly functional (almost feels sticky in a good way). The focus ring feels the same, and it does not rotate in AF operation. Nice!
The finely machined mount oozes of precision.
The extra f-stop expands creative control over bokeh, which is oh-so-sweet and creamy!

That was the good. Now the bad: it is very expensive and the price is only justifyable for a perfectionist like me. If it were sharp (wait for the ugly!), it could well qualify for a one-lens-only setup, but its weight is the hair in that soup.

The ugly, and it is very ugly: both of my copies were miserably soft. Not only at f/1.4 but also at f/2, and just about getting nice at f/2.8. What hurt was that at every f-stop below f/4, the "cheaper" 35/2 was sharper! Significantly sharper.
My original hope to have caught a bad copy was destroyed with the very consistent second copy. Both were returned.

I didn't test for distortion, and only secondarily for flare, but I didn't notice any major problems, so I'll give it the benefit of doubt.

ETA: There was a third copy in my lineup, later. I just couldn't get beyond what the lens had produced, and that only became clear after I had returned the second copy. So, the third was just as bad in terms of sharpness, but I started to accept that, because the produced images made me forget the flaw. It became like a handicapped child that you love just as much, or even more, than your healthy children.

The sad end of the story is that it got stolen, together with my A700 on which I had it as the only (!) lens on a trip to Italy, and together with the images I recorded. Today, after insurance handled it very fairly, the lost images are the most painful part of this.

Fast forward to the replacement body after the A700, an A850. I had to try it again and bought a used copy from hooni who had claimed it was sharp from 1.4. Well, that turned out not to be true, so it was just the same old 35/1.4, but on FF, it had lost its FL effect for me. I sold it again. My new Sigma 50/1.4 is taking over that FL role, with a convincing color and bokeh magic that made the 35/1.4 so desirable.
End of story