Minolta AF 24-105mm F3.5-4.5 D A-mount lens reviews

reviews found: 104    << 1 2 3 4 >>
reviewer#2979 date: Nov-26-2007
compared to:KM 17-35/2.8-4, M 24/2.8.
price paid:200 euro (used)
positive:Non-rotating front element, range, size.
negative:Not constant F/4.
comment:This would be the ideal walkaround lens on full frame, lacks a bit on the wide side on crop bodies.
reviewer#2827 date: Oct-6-2007
positive:Light, small
Good minimum focus length
Good walk around range
negative:Not the sharpest
comment:This is the walk around lens generally on my wife's camera. It is generally a pretty good performer, particularly for the price. There are a lot of comments listed here that identify color, CA, sharpness limitation and more that I'm sure are valid in the type of shooting the users are doing. I've seen posts of most of the problems they have described. On the other hand, I've been consistently surprised by the photos my wife brings home with this lens. I know I've watched her take photos that I thought would have CA or not capture sufficient detail, then just to have to rethink my opinion of the lens.

The sharpness and color are sometimes a notch off of what our other lenses can capture but for the price it performs very well.

The lens is small and light enough that you can almost always bring it with you and not have your back pay a penalty.

I use the Minolta 28-135 lens which has a dismal minimum focus length. That leads to the comment in the Positive Comments section above about its focus length. She is usually good enough to share the lens when things get close.

In summary, the lens does have its short comings, but for the cost and the way we use it, it is a very capable performer.
reviewer#2582 date: Jul-26-2007
compared to:28-80 3.5/5.6 D
35-70 ( Macro ) 4
70-210 f4 beercan
75-300 4.5/5.6 D
price paid:Ł93.02
positive:Good range for everyday use
Sharp through most of range
Colour at usual quality
Flare not an issue
negative:Build quality questionable
Hood very fiddly
Some distortion
Some vignetting
comment:The build quality is not up to the standard one usually gets from Minolta. The lens hood is a real p.i.t.a to fit/remove/reverse quickly & the location markers are so small as to be indistinct. I take great care using this lens as I feel certain that it will get "barrel wobble" as it ages.
There is some distortion at and around 24mm but that is par for the course when this wide ( better than most ? ) so not to be knocked on this score. There is also the possibilty of vignetting when used wide, especially with a circular polariser on but again par for the course( am looking for a recessed Minolta version ) and never stack filters on it - took a couple of shots to see and did not like what I saw.
Not had a problem with flare as far as I can see.
This may all sound a bit negative but for what it is - a walk around everyday lens with good range - it is a very useful and worthwhile lens which will do a good job for that purpose.
If your camera supports the D ( ADI ) function it makes the use of flash a doddle and is highly beneficial for indoor use when shooting "on the quick".
reviewer#2548 date: Jul-15-2007
compared to:Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX
Minolta 24-85 f3.5-4.5
positive:Very good sharpness
Good range (full frame)
Compact
negative:Nothing specific
comment:Origianlly launched at around the same time as the Dynax 7 film camera, I believe this was the first Minolta lens to support the "D" chip for ADI ("Advanced Distance Integration") flash. Although this lens replaced the previous 24-85 from the early-mid 1990s, it was not a "stretch" of the existing lens but in fact a complete redesign. Minolta appeared to throw the optical book at it, incorporating multiple moulded compound aspheric elements. It is alleged that the design is also protected by one or more patents, though for what I do not know - presumably to stop some aspect of it's design being "copied". It is certainly more compact that the 24-85 it replaced, and few other zooms of the same range have been as small, so it is possible the patents relate this this element of it's design.

On full frame at 24mm, sharpness at centre is very good even from full aperture. Corners are understandably softer than centre at full aperture, a reflection that this is a zoom lens with a wide angle of coverage. Stoping down 1-2 stops improves things, and sharpness more or less reaches parity from centre to edge. The performance is fairly consistent across it's range - 105mm is also very good. Technical tests of the lens at the time of launch showed an overall very good performance. Stopped down, it is certainly capable of very sharp results on full frame.

Colour is good, neutral and well saturated, and whilst there are traces of the fabled 1970s/80s saturated "liquid" colour, this is a much more modern design. Contrast is quite high, fairly typical for a modern zoom lens. This lens is much more contrasty than earlier Minolta AF zooms (such as the 28-135 f4-4.5 or 24-50 f4), and in my opinion this sometimes sacrifices highlight detail, which can blow out. I would say the lens definately uses the design technique of high edge contrast to improve the appearance of "sharpness". This is quite common in mid-range zooms, and a technique used by Nikon is some of their lenses for many years. High edge contrast makes details (which are resolved from contrast of light and shade) appear very well defined - that is "sharp" - even though the underlying resolution of the lens may not be that high. Ultimately, as contrast is reduced (e.g. poor light) the detail will remain until it just disappears as the lens is no longer able to create edge contrast. This is not a criticism, just an observation.

One of the benefits of "slower" variable aperture zooms such as this is that it gives the designers some freedom to improve other aspects of performance such as distortion and vignetting. Lens design must be a trade off between speed (maximum aperture), distortion and vignetting, amoungst other things. Fast constant aperture zooms must be significantly more complex in design (and therefore expensive, bigger, heavier etc) to correct issues such as distortion because the optic required become that much more complex.

The build is very good, typical late 1990s Dynax finish with rubberised controls and satin black barrel made from a mix of polycarbonate and metal. The lens feels quite sturdy when extended to its maximum 105mm length. AF performance is good. The only criticism is that being so compact, the controls are made quite small, and manual focusing is with the typical near useless thin ring with almost no resistance. However, zoom is light but well weighted, and controls and smooth. Overall very good.

Distortion is surprisingly good for a zoom of this range. There is the inevitable barreling at the 24mm end and some pin-cushion at the 105mm end, but it is not the worst I have seen on a wide angle standard zoom. It is about on par with the 24-85 it replaced. For general photography it is unlikely the rectalinear distortion at edges would be noticed, though for architectural an other critical work it may prove problematic. It would rate as very good for this type of zoom.

Flare control seems good. The lens is supplied with a proper "petal" shaped hood, and whilst this gives limited protection at the 105mm long end, flare seems well controlled. Overall, very good.

Overall, on full frame a very good lens. Whilst absolute performance at maximum aperture may be limited when compared to prime lenses of the same focal length, overall the optical balance is good, and performance stopped down leaves little significant criticism. Clearly, at 24mm a prime lens will out-perform it.

There is little to choose between this lens and the 24-85 it replaced. I would suggest, based on personal experience and comparative technical tests I have seen, that the 24-85 is marginally better, but it is so close and potentially subjective that to all intents and purposes there is no difference in their performance.
reviewer#2492 date: Jun-30-2007
compared to:sony 18-70 3.5-5.6
tamron 55-200 4-5.6
price paid:121 EUR used
positive:sharp, compact, well built
negative:strong CA
comment:I've nothing to add about this lens, it's very good, sharp, well built etc. BUT my copy shows very strong blue CA on almost every picture I take, and when there is strong contrast it can be as strong as 10 pixels wide!!!
The CA is visible at all focal lengths and apertures.
So if you want to buy one of these lenses, test it before giving the cash!
reviewer#2474 date: Jun-25-2007
positive:-compactness
-build quality
-AF fast
-sharpness
negative:-CA near 105mm
-slightly soft drawing

comment:Very useful ZOOM range for everyday use. It is my favourite lens.I have it on me everywhere I go taking pictures together with 100-300 F4.5-5.6 D
reviewer#2375 date: May-28-2007
price paid:$200(USED)
positive:Compact and Lightweight
Practical focal range
Build quality
Sharp at F8~
negative:Soft at 90~105mm
Chromatic aberration
comment:I used to combine it with 100-300APO for travel. The compact size and light weight are really fit fot this. Also the build quality is decent and the sharpness is very good at F8~. But the optical quality is a little weak at the tele-end and it has some CA problem.
reviewer#2372 date: May-27-2007
compared to:Tamron 28-80. Tamron 70-210 MF
Vivitar 70-210 f/4 AF
price paid:$380 new
positive:The zoom range of 24-105 is very good. The overall optical quality is fine. The AF is extremely fast. Max magnification very good at 1:5
negative:none
comment:This is probably the perfect lens for overall zooming convenience and compactness. This is going to be the lens
that I will be using on my future digital SLRs. The sharpness rating I gave of 4.5 instead of a perfect 5.0 is only because my 100mm 2.8 D macro is noticeably
sharper. But for a zoom, I think this 24-105 is among the best.
reviewer#2122 date: Apr-7-2007
compared to:28-135 4/4.5
positive:Very compact, feels pretty solid.
Have found results quite satisfactory.
negative:Not as sharp as my 28-135. Flare, CA evident in corners under bright lighting a wide apertures.Manual focus is not a good feel.
comment:An excellent walkaround lens to replace my 28-135 which although a great lens, is heavy and a bit long in range for my 7D. Prefer the 28-135 on the a900.
reviewer#2083 date: Mar-30-2007
compared to:MinO 28/2
KM 100/2.8D
Canon 28-135 3.5-5.6 IS USM
price paid:369.95 USD (new)
positive:Great size and range, even with a 1.5x FOV crop
Sharp for a zoom
negative:Not much worth noting - MF with the lens is not pleasant.
comment:An amazing little performer that gives an unusual but useful range of 36-158 on a 1.5x crop. Balanced perfectly on my 5D. Stopped down to F8 or F11, it'll give you some great results.

Ultimately, I ended up selling it because I found the 28/2 spending more time on the lens mount and the 24-105 spending more time in the bag.

If you're looking at this lens, also check out the 24-85/3.5-4.5 which by all accounts is just as good optically but is available for much cheaper on the used market. Also, chances are that the 18-70 kit lens (which I regrettably passed up on) may be just as good and give you a better range.
reviewer#2022 date: Mar-24-2007
compared to:Beercan
Kit lens
100-300mm apo
positive:Good walk around lens.
negative:Not as wide or as fast as I would like.
comment:I read all the reviews and decided if I could find one used at a good price I would get it. I also looked for the 28-75 and 28-135mm. I came across this at a camera store over the internet, it was priced at $99 because it had a 1-2mm scratch on outer lens. In the opinion of the salesman he didn't think the scratch would show up and he was right. He even sold it to me for $89 shipped. Needless to say I am thrilled with the price and the performance. It's real sharp at f5.6 to f8. It feels right on the 5D and is always on my camera. It matches with my 100-300mm apo perfectly.
reviewer#1937 date: Mar-10-2007
compared to:Minolta 28-75D
Minolta 70-210f4
price paid:450 CDN (New)
positive:Range
negative:Sharpness
comment:I like this lens for its range and its compactness. But I'm a bit disappointed by the sharpness, I get better result from my beercan.

Re-tested this lens with my a700 and finds it alot sharper.
reviewer#1931 date: Mar-8-2007
compared to:kit lens
positive:Sharp from wide open, a bit stopped down is excellent, compact and nice heavy, good zoom range, no creeping zoom, D lens - ADI metering...
negative:nothing till, will there ever be?
comment:It was a lens I still wanted to get from times I read about. I was told about its sharpness, color and other things...and now I'm satisfied. I was looking for it through eBay and found some of them for a good price from $240 till $500. In a shop near my home they ask $850 for a new Sony 24-105. If someone wants to change kit lens, will be satisfied too as I am. Very good range, 24mm is enough for indoors (though 18 is better) and 105 is right prepared for the next zoom 100-300 APO.
reviewer#1842 date: Feb-16-2007
compared to:Minolta 17-70DT (Kitlens)
Minolta 35-70 3.5/4.5 (Plastic Fantastic)
Minolta 35-105 3.5/4.5
Minolta 70-210 4 (Beercan)
price paid:$220(US) little use
positive:Absolutely Great Range (Look at Comparison Group!)
Nice Build (Feels good too!)
Looks awesome (And people tell you!)
Handles Well on 5D (Doesn't flip cam down!)
Fast Focuser
Non-Rotating front element.
Not THAT heavy.
Works Fine on Older Maxxums (7000i)
negative:Hood not that good on cropped sensor.
Seems to require more effort to get sharp shots.
Hood rests on surface when put down and pushes up on internal barrel.
A LITTLE heavy for it's size (maybe positive!).
comment:I really like it. Gives me back the wide range I lost on my 35-105 when going digital. This is at least as good and usually better at the same ranges as the comparison lenses. Stays a little faster than the 35-70 and 35-105 at the same f/l. Has great color. From 70-105 the Beercan is certainly sharper but I didn't have to change lens to shoot that range!

This is an awesome walkaround lens due to the range. Great for indoor situations for the same reason. Of course it isn't as fast as the 2.8 stuff.

A perfect match for my SIGMA EF-500 DG Super as the zoom ranges conincide very well. I plan on using this combo as my indoor event shooter.

(3/9/2007 I've updated my sharpmess and build ratings for this lens. Now having used this at both banquest style and intimate indoor events I like it even more.)
reviewer#1836 date: Feb-15-2007
positive:Useful range,pretty sharp,mostly good colour, AF fine, light weight
negative:Colour at wide end not so good.
comment:Bought when I bought my first Minolta body as a general purpose lens for odd jobs. (I use telephotos for work). Its range made it especially useful at the start when my only other lens was the 100-300. Far superior in all respects to the similar range Pentax lens I used before, especially in sharpness and colour. I don't use the wide end much, but when I have I haven't thought that the lens performed as well down there, especially in terms of colour.(Sorry chaps, but I'm still on film, hence the colour references.)Not really a fast lens.
reviewer#1674 date: Jan-19-2007
compared to:Minolta 200/2.8 APO G,
Minolta 100/2.8 Soft Focus
Minolta 24-85/3.5-4.5
Minolta 28-105/3.5-4.5
positive:zoom range
negative:not so good picture quality
comment:Very useful lens, the zoom range is enough for weddings, portraits, travel, for almost everything, but the picture quality is not so good. It could be a little bit sharper, and more massive also.
reviewer#1524 date: Dec-8-2006
positive:Sharp all the way to the corners. Superb build quality. High contrast.
comment:A search of available tests (particularly in fotoMagazine, which gives it the coveted Super rating) convinced me this is the best zoom with 24mm at the wide end. I decided on it, THEN bought a Maxxum 7, for a trip to Italy in November 2005. The camera and lens were stolen in Naples. But I never forgot the test images I'd taken back home. When I bought an A100 (my first digital SLR) I bought the 24-105mm lens as the first step. Of course on digital it is not as wide, so I also now use the 16mm fisheye.

I don't understand why this forum includes a rating for lens color. Mostly, we look at our images on a monitor; we cannot objectively rate the color characteristics of the lens. So I have rated color as 5.
reviewer#1523 date: Dec-8-2006
compared to:Kit lens
price paid:126 GBP (used,EXC++)
positive:Reasonably fast, good range
negative:CA in contrasting situations
comment:Good walk-around lens (my workhorse at the moment), could be a little bit longer though (24-135 would be perfect for me). CA can appear in contrasting scenes.

Addendum: My 5D back-focuses with this lens (focus is spot on with 50/1.7) and, interestingly, on my colleague's 5D it behaves exactly the same.
reviewer#1497 date: Dec-2-2006
compared to:28-105 xi
price paid:$350 CDN (new)
positive:- Light
- Compact
- Nice zoom range
- Fairly wide aperture @ 105mm
negative:- Not as sharp as some of my other lenses
comment:This lens is sharper than my 28-105 xi power zoom, but of course not as sharp as my 'beercan' or 200mm f2.8 G. I think it is an excellent walk-around lens.
reviewer#1496 date: Dec-1-2006
compared to:Minolta 20 2.8, 50 1.4, 100 2.0, 100 2.8 macro, 17-35G, 35-105 3.5-4.5 macro, Sigma 28-70 2.8EX, 70-200 2.8 EX APO
price paid:250 Euro's used
positive:Light, sharp, cheap
negative:zoomring rubber came off 2 times now
comment:Lens is ok, nice and light to carry around for long times. The rubber zoomring came off 2 times now. I've been able to glue it with 3M tape. It is not in the top 3 of my favorite lenses unfortunately. The 17-35G, 100 2.8 macro and 100 2.0 are !
reviewer#1493 date: Nov-28-2006
compared to:Konica Minolta 18-70mm (kit)
Minolta 50 mm f1.7
price paid:133 Ł (used)
positive:Very sharp
Minolta color
compact
AF speed
negative:nothing yet
comment:Very nice walkaround lens. It will be even better when Sony produce a fullframe camera. The Minolta color is right on and i love it.
reviewer#1492 date: Nov-28-2006
compared to:Konica Minolta 18-70mm (kit)
Sigma 70-300 f4-5.6 APO
Minolta 50mm f1.7
positive:- Excellent color rendition
- Excellent center sharpness at ALL apertures and focal lengths
- Excellent corner sharpness when stopped down, and used below 90mm
- Reliable autofocus (though see issues below)
- Internal focusing (wuhu, no rotating front element)
negative:- When flowerhood is mounted for carrying, it makes it difficult to handle manual focus ring
- Auto focus can hunt in low contrast, more than e.g. the kit 18-70mm lens
- Zoom is not as smooth as on the 18-70mm kit lens, but still better than on the Sigma 70-300 f4-5.6 APO
comment:I was vastly impressed when I began testing this lens, after I received it.

Center looks razorsharp at (almost) all focal lenghts and all apertures, and even the prime (Minolta 50mm f1.7) couldn't beat it here.

When looking at edge sharpness, you will notice a drop in sharpness - especially at f3.5 at 35mm. Stepping the aperture a bit down performs miracles, though.

Above 90mm, it generally becomes a tad softer overall. Not much, and I definitely am not afraid to use this lens at 105mm.

Colors and contrasts looks extremely nice.

I'd gladly rate this lens as "Highly recommended", to use DPReview terms. :)
reviewer#1370 date: Nov-1-2006
compared to:18-70 kit, 28-200 Tamron, Minolta 50 F1.4, Minolta 70-210 F4, Minolta 35-105, Minolta 35-70
price paid:299 USD new
positive:Much better image quality (wide open) than expected. Overall image quality really superb.
negative:hard to get at the moment (no Sony's yet, and not a lot of eBay offers)
comment:I bought this lens for the convenient range and to take an optical step up from the kit lens. However, IMHO this lens is one of the most underrated Minolta lenses around and seriously underpriced. First of all, the image quality is really superb. It is much sharper wide open than most other zooms I have encountered. And the images have that special Minolta feel that I really like. It is difficult to describe, but it has a pleasant bokeh (with a nice connection between in&out of focus), nice contrast (clear, but not too aggressive) and warm accurate colours.

Finally, for the ones interested in convenience. It is small, the front element does not turn. Autofocus speed is fair (but not the fastest I know). It seems to be quite solid. It is a D-lens.

Anyone considering this lens or a superzoom, I would say : take this one. It is from an image quality point of view in a different league - a 36-157mm range is really quite good. (But than again, I personally am a bit disappointed with superzooms on digital cameras. I feel they are more a compromise than they were with film.)

Anyone who wants to go for absolutely the best available image quality independent of price etc. I would say, buy primes or wait for the Zeiss 24-70mm F2.8 and see how good that lens is (although there is no guarantee that the image quality will be as pleasing , as sharpness is not everything).

Let's hope for us that Sony does not raise the prise for this lens (although the lens is IMO worth much more than the 300 - 450 USD that is being asked for it.

p.s. A last point. If Sony ever comes out with a Full-Frame than this lens will still be superb.
reviewer#1150 date: Sep-1-2006
compared to:Sigma 24-135 f2.8-4.5 Asph. IF
Sigma 70-200 F2.8 EX APO IF
positive:colour
front lens and focus ring don't rotate during AF
small and light
negative:Sharpnes wide open
comment:Compared to Sigma 24-135:
For minolta:
better build, faster AF, size, more ergonomic
For sigma:
Zoom range, sharpnes, less distiorsion.
It's great as walkaround lens and for indoor shots for film cameras (for digital, it's not wide enough). Well build (for it's price - little plastic but I've used it for 2 years and looks like new). AF is fast and acurate.
reviewer#1142 date: Aug-30-2006
compared to:Minolta AF 100-300 f/4,5-5,6 APO .
SONY 70-200 f/2,8 G SSM.
price paid:600 €
positive:Very usefull zoom range.
Fast and reliable focusing on KM 7D. SONY A700, and SONY A900.
OK colors.

Stopped down to f/5,6(f/8)-f/11 it's really great on APS-C.
negative:Some cromatic abberation. Especially at the long end. A lot worse than my minolta 100-300 APO and SONY 70-200G.
Some distortion at wide end(barrel).
Not sharp wide open especially at the long end.
Not recommendable on the A900(FF) because of severe vignetting and very soft corners.
comment:I had mine sent in for repair. The focusring locked and the zoomring was thight when reaching ca 50mm.
It has worked fine eversince.

It's possible to print close to the A3 format with the A900 and this lens, but only in certain situations. If you are making a close up and need the whole frame to be sharp then forget this lens on A900. It's of limited use on A900 because of the lack of sharpness especially at the longer focal lengths.

I really enjoy using this lens on APS-C.
reviewer#922 date: Jun-16-2006
compared to:Minolta 28-80(D)
Tamron 24-135
positive:sharp
light
great colour
negative:none
comment:This is a great walkaround lens. It's compact and light. It's a great match to the 7D and balances nicely in my hands. The zoom ring is nice and tight - no zoom creep. The focus ring is wide enough to manually focus without difficulty.

This lens is really sharp for a zoom lens (especially when compared with the 28-80D kit lens that came with my Maxxum 5) and the colours and contrast are also great. I have never had any problems with flare with this lens.

The reach is not as long as the Tamron 24-135 but I find the qualities between the two lenses are quite similar. The Tamron is a great lens too, but it doesn't have D capability which I find useful in the 24-105 range.

There is some distortion at the wide end but that's to be expected with wider lenses.

All in all, a superb day-to-day lens.
reviewer#649 date: Mar-31-2006
positive:Great bouqet, color, and sharpness. Quick focus on the 7d
negative:Fairly light build - guess I'm spoiled for all metal bodies and barrels.
comment:Excellent walk around lens - ditch the petal hood that comes with it if used on 5d or 7d. With the crop factor you can use a full hood and avoid the flair much better than the hood it comes with and wind up with sharper images. There is some distortion at the wide end but no more than one would expect with a zoom. Well within limits and much, much better than the super zooms (18-200) It's just a much better lens than the all in one zooms. Nice combination with the 100-300 APO.
reviewer#528 date: Feb-20-2006
compared to:Tamron SP 24-135mm
positive:Image quality
Compact
negative:Build quality
comment:This lens doesn't feel so solid as the Tamron 24-135mm, and that's what made me sell it and keep the Tamron. Even optically the Tamron seems to be better, specially in color and contrast. However this is a very good walkaround lens, compact and with a good image quality.
reviewer#510 date: Feb-16-2006
compared to:alot of standard zooms
positive:size, image quality
comment:Been used on a lot of cameras over a long time it starting to show its age. It should be a more robust lens for what it cost. my Sigma 28-70 2.8 is older seen more action and is in better condition.

EDIT 02.06.2009 slight vignette on Full frame digital but nothing that can be fixed in lightroom
reviewer#480 date: Feb-10-2006
positive:- colour, contrast, sharpness
- front lens and focus ring don't rotate during AF
- little distortion at WA
- small and light
negative:- occasional flare in direct sun shots
- a little CA in bright lit situation

comment:The 24-105 does a very good job as a perfect travel lens, having a useful zoom range which is even covering a bit the wide end on digital. On 7D the AF speed is good and the pictures are colourful and sharp - not as tack sharp as with good primes but overall better than with most zooms.
It's one of the few lenses that I mostly have in my camera bag when going out for a walk.

edit: I have to lower the build points due to the fact that for the second time the AF gearing got stuck during the use in cold temperatures. First time when the focus jammed the lens was about one years old and it still was repaired under warranty, now roughly three years later the same thing happend.
Seems like there is a timer somewhere and my lens copy is a summer version only :-(
reviews found: 104    << 1 2 3 4 >>