Minolta AF 28-70mm F2.8 G A-mount lens reviews

Minolta 50mm 1.4
positive:very sharp
great build
negative:a bit heavy
not wide enough on digital
Slow AF
comment:This is a great lens. I haven't had it for long but I have really enjoyed using it so far. This is the only G lens I've ever used, and you can really feel the difference from the standard Minolta line. You can also see the difference in the pictures produced. Even with 100% crop on a 10MP image, the picture is sharp. The only downside for me is that it just isn't wide enough on a digital camera - if I shot film this would probably be my most used lens. Yes, AF is slow also but I guess I haven't used this lens for many subjects that would require a faster AF.
reviewer#1095 date: Aug-19-2006
compared to:KM 28-75/2.8 D
Min 50/1.4 RS
Min 28/2 orig
KM 17-35/2.8-4 D
KM 17-35/3.5 G
positive:- Image quality excellent, including wide open
- Solid build
- Internal focus and zoom

negative:- Hood could be better
- AF is slow
- A little heavy
- Min focus distance is a little long
comment:If I were to keep only one of my lenses, it would be the 28-70G. Even with the 1.5 crop factor, the range is still very useful for me. Resolution, color, and bokeh are all very good. My KM 28-75/2.8D has been on the shelf since acquiring the 28-70G. I have no complaint with the 28-75D, but the 28-70G performs better wide open, and the overall image quality just seems a little better. 6MP does not challenge the resolution capability of this lens.

This is the first lens I've had with internal focus and internal zoom, and the combination of these two features contribute to a nice feel in handling the lens. It has a very solid feel. Nothing cheap feeling about this lens. With the solid feel comes weight. It's a bit heavy. Put this on a 7D with a VC-7D holding a couple of batteries, and you'll notice the weight hanging from your neck, particularly if you use this lens as a walkabout lens.

The hood is not very useful. I use it because it's there. So far, I have't run into flare problems.

AF with the 7D is too slow for subjects that move very fast. Moving children, forget about AF. It's not an issue for slow moving subjects or static scenes, but I get out other lenses or I pre-focus/manual focus instead of AF.

Close focus distance is about twice that of the 28-75D. It would be nice if it was shorter, but it's not a big issue for me.

If AF speed and close focus distance are not big issues, this lens is the standard zoom to get. I highly recommend this lens.
reviewer#908 date: Jun-12-2006
positive:Optical quality.
negative:Slooooow AF!
comment:[Note: Performance judged on usage with a full frame camera]

This is an OUTSTANDING lens. It's sharpness is fantastic up to about 50mm, and then very good (only!) up to 70mm. There is very little distortion for such a zoom. The colors are really nice. Not only it is very sharp, but then the field coverage is also very good: in other words, the corners are as good as the center. The build quality is impeccable.

This would be the perfect standard zoom if the AF was not that slow. It is really slow (and a bit noisy)!
The shade is also a bit symbolic, and I am not sure it is very useful. Lastly the range on a 1.5X camera is not as attractive than on film.

But all in all, this is a really impressive piece of glass (optically and figuratively speaking).
reviewer#717 date: Apr-26-2006
compared to:Sigma 28-70 F2.8, Tamron 35-105 F2.8, Canon 28-70 F2.8 L, Nikon 35-70 F2.8, Tokina ATX 28-70 F2.6-2.8, etc.....
positive:The best 28-70 F2.8 made in my humble opinion. I've seen results and used most of the competition, from Canon to Nikon to Tamron to Sigma. This one is the best. Non-telescoping zoom (the lens doesn't extend out when zooming) is a big factor for me, as it remains well balanced when shooting. Super sharp, beautiful colour, and almost no distortion. For group wedding shots, I use to whip out my 35,, F1.4G, but this zoom is just as good!! Believe it!! Buy it if you can find it!!
negative:Noisy and slow focusing. Even my older 28-135mm F4-4.5 is faster and quieter. Also, it's heavy, but get used to heavy lenses when you move up to the G series......
comment:To reiterate, this is, hands down, the best 28-70 F2.8 lens ever made for an autofocus SLR camera. It competes with many prime lenses for edge to edge sharpness, distortion and light fall-off. I've had this lens for 6 years, and I've gone through lots of lenses, and used many other systems, and this is definitely the winner. Something that isn't often mentioned is that this zoom lens does not telescope when zooming, so the lens stays the same length, at 28 as well as at 70. The Canon and Sigma is telescoped out at 28mm, and then zooms back for 70mm...what's with that? Because there's no telescoping, the lens stays cleaner, and zooms smoother. If you can still find this lens, buy it immediately.
reviewer#372 date: Jan-2-2006
positive:The best optical quality G zooms.
Range most useful on a film body; not so with a 1.5 crop factor...
negative:Focusing- slow and noisy.
comment:Focusing speed is not an issue for a "9" body, the A900 or A700; other camera bodies... slow and noisy.

I used to scan slides around 4000 dpi: a 80+Mb file in 24 bit; image quality from this lens is simply superb.

reviewer#321 date: Dec-21-2005
positive:Sharp as a razor. Great glass. Heavy build.
negative:AF is very slow. Original lens hood is for no use. ( Made my own flower shape )
comment:Overall a great pice of glass wich takes fantastic pictures.
Way too slow for sports and animals in motion.
The circular Aparature element gives the non focused area a depth in the picture wich is outstanding.
reviewer#22 date: Dec-1-2004
positive:A better Minolta zoom, excellent sharpness
negative:Slow focusing
Heavy...
comment:This zoom is wonderful... Yes, it's slow, yes it's heavy but a quality of pictures is excellent. You can use with full aperture and at stops f/5,6 or f/8, a quality is same (for me...) that fix-focus lenses on A4 prints. A better position ? 35 and 50mm.

Tested on D7D, it's not necessary to adjust sharpness on +2 at the body !!! But your zoom will be 42-105mm...
reviewer#12 date: Nov-22-2004
positive:Image Quality
Build Quality
Constant f2.8 aperture
negative:Slow focussing
comment:I have been using this lens for more than 1.5 years. I am very impress with it.

Well, it is a G series lens after all... The image quality and sharpness is second to none. Color rendition is pretty neutral to very slight saturated. Bokeh of this lens is simply amazing, I love it.. though i have not see the 85 f1.4.

It is quite a heavy lens and it is well expected with G series lens and lens of this quality anyway. What I am saying is this lens really not suitable if you want to bring it for extended walking distance and weight is the concern.

It is very hard to AF due to its speed for action or wedding shot even with my Dynax 7, I end up using it as a manual focus lens. Hope Minolta will update this (maybe the new 28-75 f2.8 minolta will be better?)

This is a recommended lens if image quality is the main concern but not a recommended if the AF is the main criteria.
reviews found: 68    << 1 2 3